Tell me I'm wrong

bftank

Explorer
I'm well aware of that. I'm also very familiar with those axles. Apparently you're not. Regardless of what kind of wheel is on it, that IS a DRW axle.

in your previoius post you gave no indication, other than there was a dually wheel on it, as to why you thought it was a dually. forgive my assumption, that you were implying it was a dually axle based on the dually wheel alone. please enlighten me as to how you know it is a dually axle based on the pics provided. i am always open to new ways to identify them.

not sure where you get that i am unfamiliar with dana 70's. i have had several. i was merely indicating that the best way to find out what you have is to measure it and pull the axle shafts to determine which 70 he had, because they were used in many different configurations. if he can find the BOM number that would be even better.

it could very well be a dana 70 dually, never said that it wasn't. there is no probably about it being a 70 if the diff is stamped in a corner, from what the op said. no offense was intended.

maybe not being curmudgeonly is something to work on :friday:

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
So I talked to the guy about it today, he is going to find me a HP 44 to replace the one I have now. At the time of the deal I paid for the front axle and it was the same price if I took the rear or not. Originally I was going to sell or trade the 60 and either put the money towards re gearing my 14 bolt sf or getting a 14 bolt ff. Now that I know its a 70 I'll have to do some thinking if I want to run it or not. I know there is more options for lockers for it. Thank you all for the replies, I was looking at so many pictures online last night trying to convince myself I was wrong about it being a low pinion.

what is the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface measurement on the 70? that might be a deciding factor on keeping it. the 70 is a great axle.

can you find the bill of materials number on the tube of the 44? i am curious as to what it came out of.

So here is what i found. The BOM on the front is 610005-1(R)(D)(?) Dana 44 1977 F-250 Part time T Case Ratio 4:09 30 spline
The BOM on the rear is 603718 21 Which is 1976-1977 F-350 1 ton pickup dual wheel & other 1 piece case 4:10 ratio
I'm pretty sure the wms to wms is 64.5
The spring pads would have to be widened for my application, not much room to do that though.

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
take the hubs off of the 70 axle and see how much axle is in behind the backing plate. you might be able to gain more room by going to disc brakes in the rear with a weld on bracket from ruff stuff. and some 14 bolt hubs. these hubs are a direct swap for 70 hubs and will make your wms a couple of inches wider while using the same bearings. there should be some extra axle tube hiding under the drum to weld the bracket too. and give you more space for your spring pads.

while you are at it pull the diff cover and look for a two piece differential. if its a 2 piece detroit locker are $450 for these and an easy diy upgrade. hopefully you got the 35 spline version, not sure when they started using those though.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
maybe not being curmudgeonly is something to work on :friday:
I am curmudgeonly only for defense, never for offense.

1 You assume I made a determination based on a wheel. WRONG
2 You assume I don't know what I'm talking about. WRONG

Maybe not assuming things is something to work on.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Seriously, what is wrong with some of you guys to act the way you do? All the bickering back and forth with something to prove is annoying albeit entertaining to see who can be the bigger jerk. Like watching the old ladies at my grandma’s nursing home bicker back and forth. You all should be proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

UHAULER

Explorer
Seriously, what is wrong with some of you guys to act the way you do? All the bickering back and forth with something to prove is annoying albeit entertaining to see who can be the bigger jerk. Like watching the old ladies at my grandma's nursing home bicker back and forth. You all should be proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

I don't see any bickering, only a person who knows he's right and some other people getting offended by that.

bftank

Explorer
just deleted a long post trying to defend my views and opinions.

not even worth it. think what you want, im out.

I've been gone for work to Kansas City but finally got back and got the cover off. It all looks good in there. Also tomorrow I'm heading to pick up an actual f-250 1978 HP44 with crossover steering and stainless steel brake lines.
Here is the cover off
0718131946a.jpg0718131945.jpg

I ended up selling the Dana 70 and the 44 low pinion. I picked up a 79 hp 44 that was in a SAS chevy. Has 4:10 gears, stainless steel braided brake lines, brackets for shocks and use of the stock sway bar, 52" leafs, and zero rates. I also picked up a 1999 chevy 1 ton srw 14 bolt ff with 4:10 gears. Now just need to go through them, clean them up, and start on the sas!
44 hp 2.jpg44 hp 1.jpg44 hp.jpg14ff2.jpg14ff1.jpg44 and 14.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior