LIFESAVER: What do you think about the Lifesaver jerry cans for filtering water?

madmax718

Explorer
the 110 is like a palace compared to the jeep grand cherokee

Painful is squatting and having diarrhea as you piss out your bung hole. Gladly pay 300 dollars then.

Last edited:

gchinsr

Observer
the 110 is like a palace compared to the jeep grand cherokee

Painful is squatting and having diarrhea as you piss out your bung hole. Gladly pay 300 dollars then.

I dont understand your point, the Lifesaver filtration has the smallest pore size,resulting in the cleanest water.

taugust

Adventurer
I am no expert, and madmax clearly has done his research. The price of those jerry cans are high. I just bought a ceramic and carbon filter in a simple siphon setup from here:

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gravity.htm

Read all of the related articles. They say you can filter dirty pond water. Probably the simplest method is let settle, treat with chlorine bleach, 8 drops per gallon, then filter with the candle and carbon. This setup costs $61. My brother and I went in together and got two, so $56 each, shipped.

The ceramic filter works fairly fast siphoning, and will drain the container it rests in. It stops siphoning when the container is empty. It is silver impregnated and washable/reusable. The carbon filters they sell are good for 1500 gallons of water for chlorine removal, and cost $15 to replace. You could also find replacements at Home Depot.

This is simple and inexpensive.

magentawave

Adventurer
The bottom line is that I'll be filling regular jerry cans with whatever water I can find which will be mostly tap water (and sometimes river water) and that I need a system that will do the following...

- Purify third world water so its free of ALL viruses, metals, arsenic, fluoride, and bacteria (and any other nasties I might have omitted) without the use of chemicals.

- Won't cost a fortune to buy or maintain due to not having to continually replace super expensive filters.

- Simple to use with easy to set up and break down for storing components. Containers that nest inside of each other when storing would be ideal. If the system requires as much space to keep permanently setup as it would if it was broken down (like a Berky system) then I'd probably incorporate it into the design of my vehicles interior now since I'm in the process of totally rebuilding the interior anyway.

- Little to no electrical usage.

I typed "diy berkey water filtration" into Youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+berkey+water+filtration and there are lots of videos of people who made their own simple systems using Berkey filters and other filters.

Since the Sawyer SP191 filters out viruses that Berkey won't, how about a simple gravity fed system like this...

Sawyer SP191 > Berkey PF-2 (Remove arsenic & fluoride) > ? (Remove metals) > Carbon (For taste)

Thats 4 different filters. Is that ridiculous or redundant? Is there a carbon filter that removes metals and gives good taste so I'll have one less filter? Is there something comparable to the Berkey PF-2 (removes arsenic and fluoride) thats cheaper than $60+shipping?

magentawave

Adventurer
Thanks for the link. I will read their stuff next.

I am no expert, and madmax clearly has done his research. The price of those jerry cans are high. I just bought a ceramic and carbon filter in a simple siphon setup from here:

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gravity.htm

Read all of the related articles. They say you can filter dirty pond water. Probably the simplest method is let settle, treat with chlorine bleach, 8 drops per gallon, then filter with the candle and carbon. This setup costs $61. My brother and I went in together and got two, so $56 each, shipped.

The ceramic filter works fairly fast siphoning, and will drain the container it rests in. It stops siphoning when the container is empty. It is silver impregnated and washable/reusable. The carbon filters they sell are good for 1500 gallons of water for chlorine removal, and cost $15 to replace. You could also find replacements at Home Depot.

This is simple and inexpensive.

madmax718

Explorer
I dont understand your point, the Lifesaver filtration has the smallest pore size,resulting in the cleanest water.

I'm saying that while 300 for the lifesaver is a steep price you'd still pay foe it not to have the runs. I believe the technology is inherently sound other than some pitfalls which I mentioned. I'd take a lifesaver over a berkey any day.

madmax718

Explorer
Magenta I like that setup. But you don't need a berkey in the middle.. Unless you get a good deal. I'd add a pre filter silt stopper to the sp.

I like ceramoc filters too. I keep a katadyn siphon for a kit because it has an indefinite shelf life and requires no power.

magentawave

Adventurer
I don't think third world countries are poisoning their people with fluoride but a lot of cities in the US still do that so fluoride is something I want to remove. So if not the Berkey arsenic/fluoride filter then what other filter do you recommend to remove arsenic and fluoride?

Thanks again!

Magenta I like that setup. But you don't need a berkey in the middle.. Unless you get a good deal. I'd add a pre filter silt stopper to the sp.

I like ceramoc filters too. I keep a katadyn siphon for a kit because it has an indefinite shelf life and requires no power.

madmax718

Explorer
Im fairly certain that lifesaver wont remove fluoride either. Charcoal alone wont do it. You need activated alum or bone char. I have no experience with that at all. I've looked at it from removing arsenic standpoint. Im not a chemist, but it appears that activated alumina can be used for both fluoride and arsenic removal.

Its commonly used as desiccant. I see bags of this stuff on ebay, and theoretically you could use the same stuff. I don't know if its food grade, so its kinda a science experiment at this point.

Alumia may not be the same as aluminum- so maybe you'd get higher aluminum in the water?

bone char is made with bovine bones, but... maybe you'd get mad cow?

My home water is 1 part per million. They treat it with chlorine, orthophosphate (pipe protector?) and sometimes adjust the PH.

magentawave

Adventurer
I don't want aluminum or animal bones in my drinking water if I can help it.:drool: Berkey has a filter for $60 that removes arsenic and fluoride so I'll probably buy that unless I find a cheaper one.

madmax718

Explorer
Berkey also uses alumina. Your back to the R/O system again or distillation if you want to remove fluoride without using alum or char.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Could you describe the water filtration system you installed in your van please?

It's a basic ceramic, non-reusable (should not be back flushed), in-line .02 micron filter. My understanding is that .02microns works in about 99% of the areas in the US. It is low cost, +/- $100 to $125....

I simply mounted it after my pump and before the faucet

Oh...and it's a cartridge style so....after like 10,000 gallons of use...u discard and buy another cartridge....replacement cartridges are like $70-80

And I keep the .02 sawyer filter in my emergency kit (in my car). It came with two bladders for gravity filtering.

I don't know about the arsenic and fluoride but my plan for when we go south of the border is to simply add an in-line UV sterilizer

I found some on line for around $100 as well.

Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
RO is only good if you willing to loose a lot of the water (as is needed for the RO system to work. not an issue with well water).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior