Hopi Ambulance Build

gringorick

Adventurer
Rear Heat & AC

Thanks for all the opinions on the rear heat/AC unit. I may leave it intact if can find a spot for it. Still TBD.

gringorick

Adventurer
Water Heater

I have decided NOT to go with a heat exchanger because I don't want to have to warm up this loud, stinky diesel engine every time I want a bit of warm water.

I am working on the plan of an instant propane water heater since I will have a propane system installed anyway. I just don't want a heater permanently hanging on the side of the ambo. I am thinking that if I ventilate the rear exterior compartment sufficiently, I can put it in there. Anyone ever put an instant propane water heater in a ventilated cabinet? Am I building a bomb?

gringorick

Adventurer
Post some pics of the front suspension or email them to me. Lets see what's going on!

Thanks a bunch for helping me out Chris! I have these pics from before I bought it, but I can take more detailed ones if that will help. Please let me know.

The rear.
20130709_152032.jpg

Front.
20130709_152046.jpg
20130709_152055.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
At first glance, it looks like the front axle has the shackles up front, which certainly can contribute to a jarring ride.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yep, shackles up front = bad ride. Short springs don't help either. Looks like the axle is a 92-97 D60. Giant blocks out back aren't ideal, but they seem to be working ok. My 1st guess is that this conversion is from Salem Kroger or Advance 4wd. New springs and/or shocks will only be a band aid, this rig has a geometry problem.

If you want to re do the suspension for a much better ride, give me a shout!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Those shock mounts look very similar to the Advanced 4WD rig I had. It handled OK but was a very rough ride and not much up travel on the front (1 1/2 to 2 inches only)

Yep, shackles up front = bad ride. Short springs don't help either. Looks like the axle is a 92-97 D60. Giant blocks out back aren't ideal, but they seem to be working ok. My 1st guess is that this conversion is from Salem Kroger or Advance 4wd. New springs and/or shocks will only be a band aid, this rig has a geometry problem.

If you want to re do the suspension for a much better ride, give me a shout!

bdog1

Adventurer
Those AC valves are common on much older Fords. They use square drive under the caps,and are reverse thread.

gringorick

Adventurer
Those shock mounts look very similar to the Advanced 4WD rig I had. It handled OK but was a very rough ride and not much up travel on the front (1 1/2 to 2 inches only)

Apparently the 4x4 conversion is a one-off - not Kroger, Advanced, etc. I will wait until I get the interior built and loaded to travel weight before I start messing with the suspension. In the meantime i will just wear my kidney belt.

gringorick

Adventurer
Those AC valves are common on much older Fords. They use square drive under the caps,and are reverse thread.

I think I have decided to keep the rear ac/heat and hang it from the ceiling in sorta the same spot. Good resale value and I reconfigured the interior layout so that it isn't really in the way anymore.

8-Lug

I'm not much help on ideas, but I'm glad you decided to keep the a/c unit. I've been to AZ and NV where it's hot-hot-hot, but very dry. Where as I live in Florida and it gets hot, but the HUMIDITY is what kills you. I believe where you want to go is also very humid.
Good luck on the build. :cool:

mp_tx

Observer
Interested to see what you do with the back. I pulled my engine driven AC unit in my ambulance box. First off, it did not work--I had a leak in the custom 20 ft line from the compressor to the rear unit. Have you ever priced a custom 20 foot line? My ambulance came from Antarctica, and although had great fleet maintenance, they were not too worried about AC. Second, that poor factory compressor under the hood is taxed already keeping the front of my cab cooled in the Texas heat--it was not designed to run two AC units. And finally, the engine has to be running for the compressor to work, so the only time it could be used is vehicle in motion. I am installing a small window unit AC to run off generator or shore power. It fits in the space (mostly) that the original AC unit fit. I think I have it figured out, but have yet to test it.

gringorick

Adventurer
I guess it's about time for an update... I have been so busy working on the amby that I didn't post any updates. Apologies. Departure date is drawing near and there is still sooo much still to do.

The demo phase consisted of removing all the wall insulation (silver bubble sheets) and the front cabinets and cab divider/sliding door to open it up more. Wow. What a difference a little light makes.
20130716_064159.jpg
20130716_190339.jpg

Then I added a set of dual house batteries, and moved the shore power breaker box and outlet that was under the crew seat into the "Mechanical/Electrical Room". Future plans are to add one more house battery in one of the empty battery slots under the hood for a total of 3 house batteries and 2 starters.
20130709_152551.jpg
20130723_211418.jpg

Last edited:

gringorick

Adventurer
I spent days and days (weeks actually) unraveling and re-routing, abandoning and pulling wires and switches until I had the big ugly console switch panel eliminated, and slipped in a stock (but sirta lame) center console that will be further modified at a later date.
20130729_104848.jpg
20131006_085635.jpg

I relocated a few switches in the cockpit, and moved the rest to the back control panel in the only original cabinet that is to remain.
20130805_170701.jpg
20130729_104357.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94