Hopi Ambulance Build

gringorick

Adventurer
New suspension rides like a dream! Love it! Now I have to work on my wandering steering box...
20140111_104006_resized.jpg

I haven't made many updates here on the build. TSo much to do and so little time. Hopefully I will have some time soon. It has come a long way since my last update.

QCAuto

Observer
still the 92-97 dana? whos hangers did you go with? and whats used for steering and upper arm etc, thanks, rig looks awesome

gringorick

Adventurer
So sorry for abandining this build thread for so long... Time was just flying by and I had a date with South America to try to keep... We made it! I actually just got back last week from a 2+year adventure that took my girlfriend, myself and our 3 pooches from San Diego theu Mexico, Central America, and all the way down to Ushuaia at the southernmost tip of South America! Wow, what an awesome road trip it was. This is what the finished Amby looks like, and I will try to complete the build thread as best I can while I wait for Amby to arrive at the port in Houston (shipped her back from Argentina).

image.jpeg

gringorick

Adventurer
Right now the old girl is on a RoRo ship somewhere off the coast of Brazil, on her way to Houston, where I will pick her up and drive 'er home in a few more weeks... hopefully. So I cant snap any new pics until then, but I will start adding details of the build that I have pictures of on my computer, that I never posted before we left. The project amounted to a cool 8 months and about $25k of blood, sweat... and much beer!
image.jpeg

gringorick

Adventurer
What did you have done to the suspension?
I took Amby to Advanced 4x4 in Utah where Randy reused the solid Dana front axle, but they cut everything else off and rebuilt the suspension and geometry as they do with their brand new ambulance conversions. Then I added a new steering box. She tracks straight as an arrow, no bumpsteer, plenty of nice, soft travel, an improved turning radius, and is just fun to drive, even thru the crappiest of roads.

Last edited:

Cullitrel

Say what???? Most people would kill for AC/Heat in the back (read as big aluminum box w/ excellent temp transfer!) And already have it but you want to take it out? What ever your on you need to cut back. I wish I had that in the back of my XJ no less an AMBO. Just my rant tho!
I hear they are pretty inefficient, plus only useful while driving, and take up precious room. I like u our idea if arriving with a cooled box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94