How to Carry~Rack or Trailer

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

How about a thread here to discuss how to carry your MOTO.

What are the pros and cons of a rack vs. trailer?

How would you/do you carry yours?

Other thoughts?.....Chime in!

I thought this one was pretty Kewl!

It also dbls. as a stand.

http://motojackrack.com/description.html

red%20front%20with%20discriptions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Here they are showing it on a 1st Gen. 4Runner!.........YES!:shakin:

hassle.jpg

(....oops sorry....I don't know how to ditch the ad from the moto photo!)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Great Topic Mark!

When I used to have my KTM's we had a flat bike trailer (similar to Uhaul's) I picked up at a police auction for $50. But I also think that many of the guys that do have bikes, just drive them since they are legal on the streets. Many forest roads here in AZ require plates to ride on them.

But the reason I like your thinking is a combination of both vehicle and moto. How much fun would that be!?

Doin_It

Adventurer
For what it's worth, if you can afford to carry the weight off the back end of your truck then that would be my first option. It's always easier to carry the weight rather then having to drag it along behind you. Of course now if you've got the trailer loaded with the bike, you've also then just added extra carrying capicty for more beer. Thats a good thing isn't it?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Yes Wil......

This idea came to me last spring when I was on the Mogollon Rim out on Milk Ranch Point and all set up at camp.

I thought how fun it would be if I had a dirt bike and could just cruise all over the rim and then back to my camp that's all set up.

If you are really way out back.....the bike could be your lifeline for help too.

I know you wouldn't always want it back there with you...like while on the harder trails.

When you know your route....you can just decide.....should I take the bike too?

.....some pics from our camp site with my Zook buddy posing!..... all the way out on Milk Ranch Point with easterly views all along the rim!

Attachments

• MilkRanchPointCampsite02.jpg
    MilkRanchPointCampsite02.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 76
  • MRPointCampsiteLookingEast.jpg
    MRPointCampsiteLookingEast.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 47
  • MRPointCampsiteLookingEast02.jpg
    MRPointCampsiteLookingEast02.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 57
  • MilkRanchPointCampsite.jpg
    MilkRanchPointCampsite.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 58
  • MRPLookingSW.jpg
    MRPLookingSW.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
If my bike is on a truck or trailer....it's being stolen...:ylsmoke: I like to ride there...wherever that may be.

Just messin' with ya! The rear racks are pretty nice, especially for non-road legal dirtbikes up to maybe a 650cc, but that might be pushing it weight wise.

-H-

S

Scenic WonderRunner

You have a very Kewl bike Hltoppr! You don't need no stinking rack!:eek:rngartis

I'm talking about folks that may want the best of both worlds....and rack to be used with a smaller day trip type bike set up. (I know you know that)

I like this new Moto category on the board....so just thought I would start this topic for those who are interested.

When I was in high school, I had a Kawasaki 250 bored out larger with a stinger pipe. That thing just flew....but it was more of a dirt bike racer type. This was a LONG time ago! So looking back....it was kinda primative! I have also owned a 1978 Kawasaki 1000LTD. Man that thing could fly!

I still love Moto's and keep considering getting another one some day.:elkgrin:

ErrinV

Observer
Like Hltoppr said most of those racks are only for the smaller dirt bikes. My KTM and the GS for sure would not be good to carry back there. I have a truck, so I don't need a hitch mount, but it's really scary to get it in/out even with 2 people. It'll only be worse if/when I lift my truck. Because of that I'm leaning towards a trailer. It's not often that I would have to trailer it, but I'd feel much safer getting it in/out by myself. I've been looking at this trailer and this trailer. Kendon is more, but it folds up out of the way. Also, you can get a cheap fold up kit from Harbor Freight here but I've read that you need to repack the bearings and I don't know if you could fit larger wheels/tires.

Errin

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I put these links up in another thread, but they are probably more at home (and searched) here.

I just spent a copule of months doing research on big (class 7 & 8) truck based rigs. As part of that package I needed to carry our GS. Some of these options will not be viable on light trucks, but may give you some ideas for things that you could get fabricated or adapted.

I found the dolly-wheeled trailer/platforms to be an interesting design, but you'd probably need to design/fabricate a more rugged suspension before you'd want to take it to places we're all interested in going.

Advanced Recreational Products

Blue Ox

C5A Heavy Lift Moto Carrier

Overbuilt Lifts

Motorcycle Ramps.Com

Discount Ramps

Pak Rak

RV Lifts of America

RV Motorcycle & Cargo Trailer - this is a design worth looking at if you could modify the suspension for the intended use.

Fast Master Single Wheel Trailer - similar design to above

TK Loader - good option for big bikes and big rigs

TK Loader Implementation on a class 8 truck

Hydra Lift

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior