Foxwing Awning Full Enclosure

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Looks like an entire lot (10 or more) of Chinese made enclosures can be purchased, but I have yet to find anybody who has their foxwing awning fully enclosed. Here's my thread in the trailer forum when I was considering putting the awning on my trailer.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95715

I have since mounted it on my Jeep instead. I called OZ tent months ago and they said there is no such OZ tent branded product, and no plans for one. I have an upcoming trip to a place where the bugs are huge and weather is unpredictable. This enclosure would come in extremely handy. Has anybody had one made by a reputable marine or upholstery type shop? I'm thinking one out of silnylon would be extremely light weight, packable, and waterproof (think hammock tarps).

Here's a knock off Foxwing with full enclosure

4y8utyby.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

burquedoka

Adventurer
I too would be interested in an off brand enclosure. Oz tent wants $100 a panel, no thanks. I bet a local shop could fabricate something light like you suggested for far less.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Just a little update... I am working with a very popular local upholstery shop and they now have the photos and material request. They said the enclosure would not be a problem and the only hang up at the moment is finding the right bug netting. They will be using the light weight backing type materials so the whole enclosure packs down super small and fits into a stuff sack.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Man would it suck to get that all set up and then remember you need ice.

Easy fix.... Pour some water into your ice cube trays, from your on board water supply. Put the trays in your National Luna 50L Weekender Fridge/Freezer and in a few hours, you have ice. No need to drive anywhere. Winning!

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I have the 90L NL F/F....
It is awesome not having to need ice and or as you stated make your own...

Luke111

Observer
eby7u9a6.jpg
ady9yzu8.jpg
Just a little update... I am working with a very popular local upholstery shop and they now have the photos and material request. They said the enclosure would not be a problem and the only hang up at the moment is finding the right bug netting. They will be using the light weight backing type materials so the whole enclosure packs down super small and fits into a stuff sack.

Did you ever have the enclosure for your Foxwing made? Its something I'm also interested in..... I've had a running email conversation with both Oztent and the Chinese company that makes the full enclosure...Oztent currently has no plans but that could change, to produce the full enclosure. An interesting bit of information ...the OZtent manager indicated that the Foxwing is made in China not in AU.
In conversations with the company that makes the full enclosure... first they cannot share who they produce for and the detail pictures they sent of there awning are different than the Foxwing.....but at their factory site there is clearly a picture of a awning with Foxwing Oztent Logo. Not sure if they just grab it off the net. The enclosure they make clearly shows a inside wall so its almost like a tent and I'm waiting on measurements to see if the zippers match the length on my Foxwing. I just might take a chance if the zippers match up... and in saying that... they can make a custom enclosure to ones spec's with color and door options etc.. and the price is not bad...the enclosure is $350 for one sample with two shipping options DHL to my door is $200 or $55 by sea to the nearest port.. and if you buy 20 the shipping by sea is the same and the enclosure would be much cheaper...that's all she has said regarding 20..
Please let us know if you have a good option stateside but I'm thinking to have something custom made here would run at least a $1000..
I'll share with you all as it comes in.

Regards

Lou

The picture in the lower right is from the factory site and you can see the Foxwing Logo

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I sent everything to the local shop that said they would happily do the work. But, I never heard anything back from them, so maybe they decided it was beyond their ability. I'm still interested in a full enclosure if somebody is willing to produce one.

Luke111

Observer
If I get confirmation that the zipper lengths are the same I'm going to by one. I need one here to make any changes related to the Foxwing. I also forwarded these pictures to my contact at OzTent who said she would forward them to the design team... You never know

Lou

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drifter_r6

Observer
Luke... I have a Foxwing and am very interested in an enclosure. It's not just the length of the zipper you have to be concerned about. There's the pull tab size, teeth size/count, etc., usually these components are manufacturer specific. If they are using the same manufacturer then there is a good chance the zippers will match up. Unfortunately the Foxwing doesn't have any stampings on its zipper pull like "YKK".

I'm considering purchasing four of the tapered extensions and modifying them myself to form an enclosure

Keep us updated on with what you find.

Luke111

Observer
The full enclosure uses YKK zippers..
I also considers buying the tapered and having them altered.. If I can determine YKK zippers on the Foxwing.. I'm going to purchase the full enclosure .

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Man would it suck to get that all set up and then remember you need ice.

Damn that's funny. And it's also why I'd rather have it attached to a trailer. If I was running a solo vehicle on a long-term, cross-county trip this setup would be cool, but for my camping style or the hunting lease it would be a limitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior