MPG hit

Dave

Explorer
For those with FWC's, what kind of gas mileage hit have you experienced with the camper loaded? I know it's tough to gauge four wheel drive mileage, but what about paved highway mileage? I looked around some, but couldn't find any specific numbers.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
From an average of 20.8mpg, unloaded on the highway, to an average of 18.2mpg with the FWC on and loaded up. That's with a 3.4ltr and an auto tranny. So a loss of almost 3 mpg.

In 4wd for a full tank, loaded up, I've seen as low as 15.4mpg.

I tracked my mileage numbers dutifully the first year, not so much the second year when gas settled above $3 a gallon. Too depressing...

FWIW, there has yet to be one night while kicked back in the FWC, dinner cooking, the heat on while it's cold or raining outside that I thought about those lost 3 mpg. ;)

Dave

Explorer
Thank you both for the replies! 1-3 mpg loss, that's about what I experienced with my 3.4 ltr Tacoma with a fiberglass shell and loaded for a week long trip. Cool! :wings:

lqhikers

Adventurer
milage imput

08 acces cab trd v/6 6spd4x4 with fwc always loaded,extra gas water toys etc driven like a old ******* which i am average 16 mpg.surprise even with offroad trailer with dual sport kayak extra gear still 16 mpg. as truck is pretty new with only 5000 miles i'm hoping i might pick up a mile or so when broke in ( probably dreaming!)drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz