97 7.3L F250?

J

JWP58

Ok I've been shopping around for all sorts of 4wd off-road capable vehicles to replace my Tacoma. I'm looking in the "less than 10k" arena, and its slim pick'ins.

I've looked at multiple, Toyota Pickups (pre 95), Jeep Cherokee, Isuzu Trooper, Dodge Dakota, ect. None of the particular examples struck me as "reliable" lol...so I'm still on the hunt.

I have stumbled across a very clean looking 1997 Ford F250 4x4 w/ 7.3L powerstroke/ 5spd (ext. cab - long bed), the sweet part is its only got 127k miles....and they want 10k for it. Is that a decent price? It appears to be in great shape, and I'll be looking it over thoroughly/test driving it.

I know this rig is HUGE, and probably way less capable off road than my previous Tacoma's, but I do 85% of my driving on pavement, and the rest is just on forest service/BLM dirt-gravel roads. Plus I like the idea of being able to bring as much gear/stuff as I want....the long bed is enormous.

So is 10k a good price? Or should I jimmy them down a bit?

Kaisen

Explorer
If it were me, I'd think you could buy a 2000-2003 Super Duty Diesel for $10K
You'd pick up a solid front axle instead of that '97's TTB, an intercooler, and all of the other advances the newer body brought
Or skip the diesel part and have all the same capabilities (the one's you'll actually use) for half that

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I got the same truck, i bought in dec of last year. 98k on it. I paid 9k for mine, prices on these trucks because of the power stoke are staying high. I am sooooo glad I bought this truck over the 02 I was looking at that was a gasser. I get 20 mpg with the truck unloaded. I even towed a zr2 blazer on a car trailer, with a 1980 Harley on the trailer down to fla this past march, got 17 mpg so I was very happy with that. I would grab that truck before someone else does, but thats just my .02
Paul

Milo902

Adventurer
Where are you located at? I'm in Boulder and see extended cab OBS powerstrokes anywhere from 5k to 10k. For 10k I would expect a very very nice truck w/ records. For reference I paid $7300 for my '96 F250 CCSB (Powersroke, 5-speed) w/ 175k a few months ago. It is in decent mechanical shape, Ok cosmetic. These seem to command higher prices than the extended cabs as they are less common.

The gassers of this generation are quite a bit cheaper, but the 5.8 is a dog, either drinks fuel at an alarming rate (in my limited experience at least). The early super duties can be had for similar (or sometimes less) money, and are in many ways a better truck (as pointed out above). I just love the look of the old body style though.

J

JWP58

I went and looked at it today, way over priced and the guy wouldn't budge....oh well....the search continues...

jdinevens

Adventurer
if you're going for a rig in that time/price range, id look at a dodge with the 12v. they may be right around that 10k for an ok one but the internals on a cummins are STOUT. searchtempest.com is your friend. btw i own a 03 7.3, either is good setup.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm a huge OBS Ford guy. I've had 2, both 5spds, both crews. One was a shortbed and one was a longbed. The Superduty line that started in 99 did offer an intercooler and a solid front axle in the 3/4 ton truck but frankly, when I buy an oilburner again it will be an OBS Truck. I like em and they garner a high price if they are clean. If they are dirty and beat, don't pay a premium. You can always throw a dana 60 under the front of a 3/4 ton from that era and you have a solid setup. I always got between 18-20mpg on the highway and never below 14 towing pretty heavy. Not rock crawlers but they do fine on dirt roads and double track.

My 2 Cents.

-jorge

Kaisen

Explorer
Or just buy a F350 SRW that already had the solid axle, and then just add the Super Duty FMIC

vtarider

Great thread,I am also looking for roughly the same truck,trying to keep it around 10k. I'm trying to educate myself on the yr differences . I like 97-2003 I think were the bomb proof 7.3's ?
I think "Kaisen" mentioned 2000-2003 had a solid axel, any other suggestions on the model differences or better yrs ?
I was even considering getting a 2wd if the price was right and just the thought /fear of more to go wrong more moving parts that may be worn out ,worse gas MPG's. But I know it's nice to have when you need it.
If anyone feels like chiming in on their Ford knowledge,I'm all ears and would love any wisdom you could pass my way.
Thanks For your time
Dave

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its actually mid 1994-2003 that have the 7.3 powerstroke. Though there were some changes thoughout those years to the motor itself.

And Ill always be an "OBS" guy as well. They are damn tough, and as tough as they are the interiors are incredibly comfy. Assuming you dont go for a standard cab, they are great long distance highway rigs.

OBS F250s are going down in price lately, at least around here. Its the crew cab F350s that are holding value. So it makes much more sense to go with an F250, do a D60 swap, and call it a day.

Thats pretty much what Ive done, and it has worked out very well. Nearly 20mpg unloaded all day long (even with 4:10s) , enough torque to tow near anything, and a good payload capacity to haul anything I want. Sure they are not as fast or as powerful as the newer ones, but they get the job done just fine.

Ive considered tossing an intercooler on mine, Ive even got the cooler sitting in the shop. But with the EGT readings I see even full bore up a 7% grade I simply do not see the need just yet. The most I have to do to keep the EGTs in check is back off the go pedal a smidge.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just sold my built '97 F350 crew for $9k. It has 280k miles on it. Solid solid solid. I would take a 94.5-97 over a 99-03 any day of the week. Prices do vary by location, and yours being "n/a" does not help us tell you if it is a good deal. $10k for 127,000 miles could be a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke