The I want to check out a ?????? in ?????? master thread

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK there are a lot of people wanting to either start their touring/exploring/dual sport/expedition type riding and would like to be able to check out the various types of bikes without the pressure of sales agents/owners or large groups. Then there are a number of us that have bikes to check out and some experience we can share.

So I am suggesting we throw a post in here with the following info if you are willing to help out.

1. Type of bike.
  2. Location (state and major city)
  3. Location (minor city/suburb etc)
  4. Bikes setup/configuration and accessories.
  5. Any terms and conditions (I am not suggesting you let anyone of any experience level ride your bike. That is a personal decision) i.e. Bring your own AGATT and insurance etc.
  6. Best method of contact.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
DR650 - BMW F650GS Dakar - BMW Sidecar - BMW K1200LT- Phoenix AZ - El Mirage

OK just to start things off. I have the following bikes available.

DR650 2012 Safari tank, Sargent seat, setup for RTW minus hard luggage at the moment.
DR650 2011 Lowered Safari tank, Sargent seat, setup for RTW minus hard luggage at the moment.
BMW G650X X Challenge, stock except for Seat Concepts seat cover.
BMW 1963 50/2 with a later motor and Ural sidecar.
BMW K1200LT 2001 (no rides)

They are not always legal for road use but I do have an acre spare that you can have a bit of a ride around. Bring your own safety gear preferred. No rides without a helmet or gloves (helmet is self explanatory, gloves because even your significant other does not want to wipe your butt if you rash up your hands.)

Probably other bikes to look at depending on who is staying while on their trip or who have left something here while they go elsewhere for a break.

Last edited:

Lanceputnam

Government Funded Explorer
1. 2012 BMW R1200GS-Rallye
2. Albuquerque, NM
3. NE Heights
4. Maxxed out. Too much to list.
5. hmmm....
6. Email: lanceputnam1(AT)me.com

lonestrom

Adventurer
2012 Honda NC700x,set up for ADV Touring
1994 Suzuki GS500,set up for ADV touring
1982 Suzuki GS850 ADV SIDECAR rig.
Seattle,WA
40+ years of offroad + on road experience.
If you want to try a sidecar rig before plunking down alot of $$$,PM me!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
KTM 950 R
Ural Sidecar
Ural Solo (not exactly stock - or running)
Husky 630
Triumph 800XC (project bike)
BMW 650 Dakar (project bike)
Honda 650L (project bike)

All in Prescott at the office. Ability to ride them would be limited, but happy to answer any questions.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
When did you get the Husky 630? Always liked the 610/630 Huskies. Like my X-Challenge, they seemed like they filled a niche between the more staid Japanese 650s and the more expensive KTMs. Had they started selling the 610s dirt cheap before the X-Challenges bottomed out, I might be riding a TE-610 right now. As I recall, the 610s could be had new for around $6k at one point. Makes it tough to buy a DR650 when you could get a G650X or TE610 for about the same price. At least that was my logic: trade a little DR650 reliability for several extra HP and EFI.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
MarcFJ60 - how do you like your X-Challenge? I had a Husky TE610 for a bit in the fleet - comparable, or better power? I am trying to find one right now for the wife - she liked the 610 quite a bit, and my 690 Enduro scares the heck out of her.

I have:
BMW HP2E (x2)
BMW GSWC
KTM 690 Enduro R
Royal Enfield
KTM EXC 500
KTM EXC 350
Honda XR650R

Will be adding a Ural Patrol T to the fleet as soon as I find a ride for it - should be a fun ride for the pup and me.

PM me if you are in the Midwest and on the fence on any of these bikes - would be more than happy to show you what they are about, and I am always looking for an excuse to go out and get them dusty / dirty!

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I REALLY like my X-Challenge. It's relativelylight, makes good power and has been reliable. The air shock wasn't terrible, but it had weird characteristics. I have to think the one on the HP2 is better. The lack of rebound damping makes it feel like it wants to launch you off the bike and fully extends the rear suspension under heavy braking. But it has been replaced with a Hyperpro now, and the difference is awesome. The aftermarket is fairly limited and expensive. Adding fuel capacity is real expensive, but with mild fabrication skills several of us have added aux KTM tanks to get ~200 mile range. Mine is setup more as a light adv. tourer with racks and soft bags. But it still probably weighs less than a stock DR650 with lots more power and FI.

I've never ridden the TE models, but they seem to be geared a little more toward dirt, albeit slightly. At least the 610, didn't the 630 gain some weight? They seem pretty similar in mission though. I might give the edge to the BMW in overall reliability, but I think both are very good - but not on par with something like a DR650. But the Rotax single seem to run forever.

I doubt either was worth the ~$8000 they were originally priced at. But both dropped to about $6000, which I think is a bargain compared to the price of a new DR (which I think is a great bike). I think history has been more kind the the X-challenge than the market was. 6 years later, you'll still pay about $5000 for a good used one. On the plus side, it will likely be well sorted. I've had 4 motorcycles since I bought the X, but the X always stays.

But with all that said, the Husky Terra and Strada should certainly deserve a look. They're basically X-challenges without the quirks, but smoother and 5 extra HP (but 50 extra pounds). If I totaled my X, I'd either buy another or grab a Terra.

green

AIRBORNE
1- 2002 KLR250
2- Firestone, CO
3- Stock except for Moose Racing Bark busters
4- $1900 OBO
5- Joe 3o3-5o7-o682 greenramp at hotmail dot com

mkitchen

Explorer
OK just to start things off. I have the following bikes available.

DR650 2012 Safari tank, Sargent seat, setup for RTW minus hard luggage at the moment.
DR650 2011 Lowered Safari tank, Sargent seat, setup for RTW minus hard luggage at the moment.
BMW F650GS Dakar 2001 Stock with BMW luggage, Normal or low seat.
BMW 1963 50/2 with a later motor and Ural sidecar.
BMW K1200LT 2001 (no rides)

They are not always legal for road use but I do have an acre spare that you can have a bit of a ride around. Bring your own safety gear preferred. No rides without a helmet or gloves (helmet is self explanatory, gloves because even your significant other does not want to wipe your butt if you rash up your hands.)

Probably other bikes to look at depending on who is staying while on their trip or who have left something here while they go elsewhere for a break.

Hi Oz
Would it be possible for me and Mo to come by and try out your 2011 650. If I am reading it right, it is a lowered frame? Mo sat on a F700 GS with a lowered frame and seat, at Chandler BMW and seemed to fit ok. It would be great if she could get a chance to ride one. I do need to caution you that she rides a vespa and has taken the MSF course and has her licence but has limited experience on a bigger bike.
My goal is to get a 1200 GSA and her F700 if she likes riding one.
Thanks in advance,
Mikey

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hi Oz
Would it be possible for me and Mo to come by and try out your 2011 650. If I am reading it right, it is a lowered frame? Mo sat on a F700 GS with a lowered frame and seat, at Chandler BMW and seemed to fit ok. It would be great if she could get a chance to ride one. I do need to caution you that she rides a vespa and has taken the MSF course and has her licence but has limited experience on a bigger bike.
My goal is to get a 1200 GSA and her F700 if she likes riding one.
Thanks in advance,
Mikey

Hi Mikey

Yep that would not be a problem. I will be dragging them off the back deck this week to make sure they are OK for visitors so anytime this weekend onwards. Also we are having an open house Sat so if you wanted to tie a trip to the bike show, test out the DR and sample some Aussie food/hospitality while suffering our Aussie wit you would be most welcome.

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks Oz

I sent you a PM and am going to try and come by for your cookout on the 25th. I want to thank you in advance for the hospitality.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz