The perfect cup of Coffee on the road: Travel French Press Review

xplrn42

Adventurer
Will be adding that to the wish list, thanks for the review.

We currently take our Bodum Young press with us camping, works great, but it's always a little sketchy having the glass out in the woods.

BillTex

Adventurer
Both Bodum and GSI make double wall SS insulated presses.
No worries about breakage...and keep your brew hot for ~ 1 hr...

We have both...one at home...one for camping.

Thanx for the review.

B

madmax718

Explorer
dammit, and I just bought the aeropress. Althought somewhat different, they remind me more of each other than not.

GhostRing

Observer
I too have been bringing my Aeropress on trips.(My coworkers call it my Coffee Bong) It's nice, but does use a healthy amount of coffee per shot.
Needing another vessel to capture the brew is another thing to keep track of out in the woods. Great for home use, but a bit clunky for camp IMO.
For $20 I'm absolutely interested in trying the GSI. Seems nice and self-contained.

madmax718

Explorer
It certainly does. Its kinda like an aeropress in reverse- instead of aeropress pressing the coffee through the filter, the GSI is pushing coffee through a filter- but capturing within its own body.

I really don't mind the clunkyness of the aeropress- it leaves me with my muti purpose ti mug to be a mug, a bowl, a boiler, and all the other things a metal cup can do. I would not want to wash chicken soup flavor out of my gsi coffee mug. Plastics just always hold onto funky flavors. Silicones hold grease in the most peculiar way. (Squishy bowls anyone?)

austintaco

Explorer
I use the REI French Press that makes about 6 cups. It's very durable, and since it makes more than just two cups, you have extra to offer fellow campers.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Starbucks has instant coffee single packs that is nothing more than powdered coffee. Simple, fast and nothing to clean up. Not cheap but its great tasting. Ice coffee in a can or bottle is also a quick easy substitute when on the road to get your morning fix. The press is a mess and unless you use it often its hard to get the brew right. I bought what was supposed to be a good one and never could get that thing to make a decent cup. What's the trick to using one?

bobDog

Expedition Leader
there is a coffee on the road thread already going...I just can't remember the name but this would mesh right in!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Starbucks has instant coffee single packs that is nothing more than powdered coffee. Simple, fast and nothing to clean up. Not cheap but its great tasting. Ice coffee in a can or bottle is also a quick easy substitute when on the road to get your morning fix. The press is a mess and unless you use it often its hard to get the brew right. I bought what was supposed to be a good one and never could get that thing to make a decent cup. What's the trick to using one?[/QUOTEYou have to be french.

AZLS

I have used an REI French press for the past several years. I recent tried the Starbucks VIA instant coffee packs and was really surprised. The coffee tastes great without all of the additional clean up.

BillTex

Adventurer
I use the sbux instant when living out of a pack...and they are fine...just got back today from 8 days w/Scouts...had 2-3 Via/day. Quick, easy....and extremely portable. Just need hot water.
But when in base camp or home...I'll take the press any day.
Let the brew sit for a good 8-10 min...mmmmmm.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior