Mike's M416 Rebuild

amnt

Observer
Thanks. I have looked on the site where I bought it and it calls out that the LH thread is on the passenger side. Go figure, government equipment!

amnt

Observer
I just keep getting deeper and deeper into this trailer. I have decided to slow down and do a little more to the trailer. I am going to extend the tongue so I can add a storage box. I also am going to add a hitch receiver to the back to carry a basket.

On Tuesday, I found a RTT listed on craigslist and just had to go see it. Well, needless to say it is now mine. I think I got a pretty good deal. It is new, never camped in, and has been in storage for a few months. It was used as a display on an FJ at a local dealership. It is the ARB tent and I got if for $650.00. Frankly, I feel like I stole it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Time to get this project moving again. I want to use the tent!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
LOL

The Holy Grail of M416's----scissor lift that is easy. We have seen actuators, scissor jacks, hydraulic four corner lifts, and the list goes on . I don't think anyone has come up with an easy, one button or easy pushup that will allow a full annex room use.

If you design it you will be rich!!!!!!!!!!

amnt

Observer
This project is driving me crazy. Every time I look at the trailer, I want to do something more. I am going to try to come up with a scissor system that runs on hydraulics and is mounted to the trailer top rather than the tub or frame. This should allow me to access the trailer while the tent is in the down position. The trick is being able to access the trailer with the tent up or down. I think I can accomplish this by building an access door(s) in the top that can be used while the tent is up. There is still a lot of issues and concerns that need to be worked out. In the end, is it all worth it.

amnt

Observer
Well I am back at it and have a question about the lunnette. I understand that it should spin or rotate for articulation. I have repainted the frame and I am wondering if I should strip the paint from the lunnette and the receiver and polish the tapered landing area to reduce the friction. I have tried to find a previous post on this but have had no success. If anyone can direct me in the right directions that would be great. I am also planning on moving the lunnette to the lower position but am having a hard time finding a grease zerk to fit the threaded hole for the lower position. Any suggestions?

Mike

E Dr. P

Observer
According to an equipment improvement report from TACOM it doesn't require the surface to be stripped, and the lunette should turn with a great deal of force by hand or with pressure from a cheater bar.

mah827

There is a spec in the manual. You tighten the nut till a certain size feeler gauge fits between the coils on the spring.

mah827

There is a spec in the manual. You tighten the nut till a certain size feeler gauge fits between the coils on the spring.

Per the manual tighten nut until a 0.010 in or .25 mm feeler gauge inserted between the coils of spring can be removed with a slight drag. PM me your email and I can send you a copy of the manual.

E Dr. P

Observer
The feeler gauge method mentioned in the tm is what was changed by TACOM, because it was a precision measurement on a "rough, painted surface" which could be ineffective. According to the change you should tighten the nut "until it stops" then loosen it a full turn, then line it up for the cotter pin.

amnt

Observer
Thanks, I will give it a try. Does anyone have any idea where to find a new grease zerk for the lower position? It seems to be larger than anything I can find.

amnt

Observer
How wide should the top open

how wide are most of you opening your tops? I would like for it to open as much as possible but I am concerned with it catching wind. Is 45 degrees in the range?

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Not sure how high this opens as I am not at home but photo may help. I have struts mounted at center of tub and about 8" from edge. Other consideration was making sure I could reach handle to pull closed. Did not want it too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94