KLR 650 2 up?

BillTex

Adventurer
Hi All, thinking about getting a KLR again...miss my last one...

How is the KLR 2 up?

DW never really rode on the back of the last one...soon Kids will be gone...and it will be an easier sell if it is fairly comfy 2 up.

Any back rest accesories for passenger available?

For those of you riding 2 up on KLR 650...is the passenger happy?

Plan would be to put a rack on front of the truck for KLR, TC in bed... and hit the backroads!

Thanks, Bill

Cole

Expedition Leader
I suppose this is mostly going to be personal opinion.

My wife and I have two KLR650s that we use as dedicated travel bikes. We store them *somewhere* then fly out and ride them *somewhere else* and toss them in a new storage place and fly home.

Usually I fly out a day early just to make sure the bikes are running and ready to go. This also usually means I get to pick the wife up at the airport with my KLR and ride her to wherever we stored the other KLR. Personally, I always hate riding it two up, even with my wife on the back!:coffeedrink: Just feels too cramped to us.

Though, as pointed out above, it can be done and can work well for some!:victory:

6935108965_cb2b8f4d5f_b.jpg

BillTex

Adventurer
Thanks All...keep it coming.

As noted, our intention would be using the TC as a base, and the KLR for exploring...don't really see long range/multi-day rides on the KLR. More like load up and see what the day brings...then return to camp at night.

I am think this is feasible with a KLR 650...anyone know any good backrest/accessories for passenger?

Thanx, B

Cole

Expedition Leader
Mount a good top box/pelican case to the rear rack and it will serve as a good backrest too.

Some top cases have pads already on them for that purpose.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We had the same dilemma. Wanted a bike to use as a grocery getter/ day tourer from our ambo base camp. I had a honda CT90, way too small. TW200 is OK for groceries but not good 2 up for day trips. I had a KLR650 and a BMW F650GS (Dakar). The KLR would of been usable but not overly comfortable for the 2 of us (your size may vary). The BMW worked out to be the more missus friendly so we kept it and sold off the KLR. But the BMW is heavier I think.

wild1

Adventurer
I have a TW200 and a 2009 KLR that I use for the purposes that you are describing. I actually like the TW better for short rides(under 20 miles) then the KLR, less fuss,better suited to just putting around and it has plenty of room for the two of us as the passenger can sit back on the rack with a pad. There is no comparison on the pavement though,with a pelican 1450 and a dry bag strapped on the back we can comfortable knock out a hundred miles without a hitch on the KLR. All day two up can get a little tight but for just running around two up without the dread of highway travel the KLR works pretty well. Since you are going to haul it you might give some though to a Suzuki DRZ 400 or a Yamaha WR250. Either of these would easily do what you want and are a hundred pounds lighter then a KLR and have a much less bulky profile which helps a lot on a hitch hauler. I would class the KLR as to much of a good thing as a dingy to a bigger rig.

BillTex

Adventurer
Thanks wild1...good info. I really enjoyed the last KLR...but have no particular allegiance. Just want the right tool for the job. As you mentioned, lighter would be better for this application.
We will open our eyes to other options...

B

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
With mine, I always find myself want something a little bigger for 2-up. My wife and I use mine for small rides, less than 50 miles, but it's not much fun for longer. We've certainly done it, but never really enjoyed it like we did on my Triumph Sprint sport-tourer. Power is alright, but it's mostly just cramped. I use a top box, and that works well for a back rest for her. For info, I'm 6'-0", 210 and she is 5'-10", 130, so we're large-ish. Eventually, when my son is older, I'll get something larger for more 2-up rides, like a Triumph/BMW 800 or a BMW GS.

Don

-

michaelwmc

been there :)

We had the same dream of a base vehicle with a little escape pod on the back. Here are some pics of our E250 with a KLR. I honestly wouldn't change either one. This was our setup from California to Prudhoe Bay and back. The little camper van would squeeze into back woods camp sites- pop the KLR off, and the 2 of us could go exploring with the versatility, ease, and fuel efficiency that only these bikes can provide. Excellent handling on the freeway 2-up at 80mph, or off in the woods and dirt roads all day long. Invest in upgraded shocks and seat for comfort 2-up on these, though. We left the van in Arizona on the way down and rode the KLR 2-up to Argentina from there. Feel free to shoot with any questions :)

Attachments

• 945220_10151699010576803_72928472_n.jpg
    945220_10151699010576803_72928472_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 312289_10151699009606803_2011317501_n.jpg
    312289_10151699009606803_2011317501_n.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 263326_10151699009086803_21900897_n.jpg
    263326_10151699009086803_21900897_n.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 51

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey Bill, what do you and the rider tip the scales at? I assume the rider (both of you?) are older, so is the rider really fit to crawl on or off and ride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz