Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak BMW R1100s - calling you wrenches

Default Oil Leak BMW R1100s - calling you wrenches

In May I had all of the fluids in my BMW R1100s changed. In June I did a 3000 mile trip. I got busy and in July the bike mostly sat parked. I had to roll it out of the way last week, but certainly didn't notice any oil beneath it. Today I noticed this:

oil_zps7556b964.jpg

The bike has been lovingly maintained and has not once had an issue. It has just 17,000 miles on it. Any ideas? Set it on fire and buy a KLR?
    Bicycles rule.

Is it coming from the final drive hub or the rubber book on the drive shaft. Out of the hub is the final drive seal and probably the bearing. Out of the rubber boot could be the gearbox output seal.

Does it feel and smell like gearbox oil? It's not some runoff from washing and the last service.
    2007 Freightliner Dualcab Ambulance conversion. Check it out here
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (Converting to an AmboCamper)
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar.

Another possibility that far forward is brake fluid. Sniff test will be a good guide as to which bit to look at.

It's most certainly running the full length of the swingarm. There's a good bit of oil forward of the transmission output, under the belly of the transmission (pic).

oiltrans_zps73db8181.jpg

It's interesting to me, and maybe important information or coincidence, there wasn't so much as a drop until last week when I rolled the bike forward ten feet and then back to its original spot. Was that the tiny insult that made the output seal fail?
    Bicycles rule.

My 1150RT had the output seal leak at about 36k miles. If I remember correctly the dealer repair bill was $300-400. It's a simple fix, but there's a fair bit of disassembly to get to it.

Going from the S to a KLR would be cruel and inhumane punishment. You need a new Ducati instead.

Mike
    -2013 JKU Sahara, Commando Green - 3" Franken Lift w/ Fox 2.0 Res shocks - 36x13.50 17 Irok Bias Ply on Cragar D Window Rims - Check out my Jeep Blog at Sand, Mud, and Rocks Off Road http://www.smroffroad.com
    -2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Granturismo

goodtimes is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Poseur
    I have bad news amigo - that leak is going to be tough to fix, and it won't be cheap.

Take Mikes advise and just buy a Ducati.

In the mean time, I'll bring the trailer up and get that POS BMW out of your way. Just have the title notarized and I'll be up as soon as I get back from the land of cows and big hats.

You don't have to thank me - that's what friends are for.
    "Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured" ~someone

It certainly appears to be the transmission output seal. So Brian, you're thinking this will be a spendy fix, right?
    Bicycles rule.

Hey guys,

How do I check the gearbox fluid levels? Would that not confirm a leak at the transmission output seal?
    Bicycles rule.

First off did you do the sniff test. Gearbox oil has a distinct odor.

Now a bit of general advice. Remember this term "maintenance induced failure" alternatively know as "fix it until its f#*>{d"

Have a good look at the last stuff you worked on. Eliminate the simple and cheap things first.

I will have a better look at your photos when I get to a computer. This iPhone and my degrading eyesight are not up to the task.
    Last edited by Ozrockrat; 08-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Oz, I truly appreciate your input. Same goes for Brian and his virtuous offer to relieve me of this bike.

What I have confirmed:

- The oil is for sure traveling the full length of the torque arm and pooling on the ground below the lower pivot on that torque arm. Does not appear to be brake fluid or leakage from the final drive.

- Judging by all of the dirty oil under the transmission case, this probably started during my 3000 mile trip. It appears the oil is leaking from the rear of the transmission and being blown forward and under the tranny by wind forces. (second pic).

- There seems to be a lot of soot-like residue along the underside of the boots at both ends of the swing arm.

- the bike has been parked in the same spot for the last 10 hours and does not appear to have leaked a drop. Previous Land Rover ownership leaves me to believe the gearbox is now empty.

Everything else on this bike seems pretty darn pristine and in good nick. And Oz, I hate to report, I can't discern if the scent is gearbox oil or not.
    Last edited by Christophe Noel; 08-02-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Bicycles rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast