M416 and baby gear....

Cleand

Adventurer
Well, originally I had big plans but the military look has really grown on me. Plus the trailer is in really great shape I almost hate to mess with a good thing. So that being said, my list is shorter. I would like to do some sort of truck bed liner so i don't have to worry about scratching it. Next I want to build a lid, but I do not have a welder or welding skills or know welder hmmm. I like the simple flat lids that I have seen on here. They just have a frame and then they skin it, but I want those hinges that have a pin in them so it is removable. I would also like to add a hitch for the bike rack. Water, fuel and propane mounts.

Cleand

Adventurer
So the second kid is coming up on 5 months and it's time to take him camping! I am back on the build. I was looking at purchasing a lid but they are just so expensive. So I took a welding class and the next weekend bought the material, rented some shop time at a community welding shop, and built my own lid. It still needs some work and its not perfect but I'm proud of it. Especially considering its my first welding project.

image.jpgimage.jpg

psykokid

Explorer
Very nice Garrett! Still über jealous of your trailer. Every time I find one they're either a wreck or way out of the range that I want to pay for a trailer.

Septu

Explorer
OP, this isn't directed entirely at you, but just a general observation regarding a lot of the builds I've seen.

I'm shocked at the amount of builds that have little or no depth to the lid. Every inch added in height to the lid adds 1" by 4x6 in useable space. The guy that made my lid (purchased the trailer 2nd hand with a lid already done), made it 7-9" tall (I'm guessing). But the amount of useable space that's added is massive, and is something I regularly take advantage of (maybe I just pack too much crap). If I remake the lid (currently wood/fiberglass), I'll retain most of that height.

Cleand

Adventurer
OP, this isn't directed entirely at you, but just a general observation regarding a lot of the builds I've seen.

I'm shocked at the amount of builds that have little or no depth to the lid. Every inch added in height to the lid adds 1" by 4x6 in useable space. The guy that made my lid (purchased the trailer 2nd hand with a lid already done), made it 7-9" tall (I'm guessing). But the amount of useable space that's added is massive, and is something I regularly take advantage of (maybe I just pack too much crap). If I remake the lid (currently wood/fiberglass), I'll retain most of that height.

For me personally, my goal was to make the lid as light as possible within my abilities. As far as welding and fabrication goes, this design was the most simple and cost effective. I didn't need anymore space, even with two kids. I find myself throwing random stuff in the trailer just fill it. Do I need a full length rake and broom on this trip nope, but I have space for it? The other thing that came to mind with adding the extra height to the trailer was the drag. After I did the spring over axle I noticed the RTT cover flapping around. Seeing that it didn't before and the only thing that had change was the height. I could only imagine what adding more height with the RTT would do. Last but certainly not the least was looks. I couldnt find or design an extended lid that I liked with a RTT on it. Take the RTT out of the equation and it would be a different story. On top of all this in the back of my head, I want the lid to seem as though it could have come from the military with it. So no fancy hinges, latches or handles. My goal is to keep it sturdy and functional. It is definitely hard because there are some really neat bells, whistles, gizmos and gadgets out there. I have been tempted a few times to stray from my game plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke