Need opinions Lance/Northernlie/alaskan/Northstar??

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The security issues in Mexico and C.A. are way overblown. I have done many long trips down there (some in the past few years) with both a pop-up truck camper and a pop-up toy hauler trailer. The trailer didn't even have a lockable entry door. Zero problems. Your "lazy" 130 lb dog will be a big deterrent.

If you plan to surf in the "cartel zones" near the border or from Culiacan to Mazatlan, then that's more of a potential issue. If you drive to known surf spots where there are normal humans around, you will be fine. The media has blown things out of proportion. Sure, you could be in a "wrong place wrong time" incident, but that could also happen at your local Walmart or high school.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I still am unsure about the Northstar rubber roof vs. a TPO like the lance, everything else about the northernstar I like beside the fact that the interior could use an update, but I suppose I am not that picky about that aspect of them. I have a built auto in the Dodge, it works, and is actually better than I had anticipated. I would prefer a manual for the exhaust brake capabilities, but the auto is nice for backing up and negotiating tight market streets in Central America. I would get another of these old Dodge Cummins trucks if I bought another, probably a manual with exhaust brake. The one I have now though is paid for and despite its faults and peeling paint it works for the time being.
An EB will work great with your built auto. There's a switch available that locks the torque convertor up for proper operation at road speeds. I had a DTT Smart Controller on my '98.5,but yours is much simpler. Just have to remember to turn it off at low speeds. The EB's are like putting F-450 brakes on the truck. Amazing stopping power.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The security issues in Mexico and C.A. are way overblown. I have done many long trips down there (some in the past few years) with both a pop-up truck camper and a pop-up toy hauler trailer. The trailer didn't even have a lockable entry door. Zero problems. Your "lazy" 130 lb dog will be a big deterrent.

If you plan to surf in the "cartel zones" near the border or from Culiacan to Mazatlan, then that's more of a potential issue. If you drive to known surf spots where there are normal humans around, you will be fine. The media has blown things out of proportion. Sure, you could be in a "wrong place wrong time" incident, but that could also happen at your local Walmart or high school.
Very true. The big hastle now is getting back. Lineups are typically awful unless you have a ready pass or Sentri. But if you're down for an extended period,it's not so painful.
Living 20 minutes from the border,I've crossed a couple hundred times for trips of a day to two weeks. Short trips are out now along with the super expensive insurance. Liability levels are now set @ $300K.

Darwin

Explorer
redthies
I agree, and the dog helps, at least his bark is scary. I should have clarified my "security" comment. In the three times I have been down there, including all the way to Costa Rica I never really ran into any serious isssues, and also never had anything stolen however theft is still a problem down there. The real draw back to the Hallmark is still the lack of floor space, I would really like to check one out in person though.

Darwin

Explorer
An EB will work great with your built auto. There's a switch available that locks the torque convertor up for proper operation at road speeds. I had a DTT Smart Controller on my '98.5,but yours is much simpler. Just have to remember to turn it off at low speeds. The EB's are like putting F-450 brakes on the truck. Amazing stopping power.
I have the lock up switch currently, and I use it a lot. It helps even with the engine retarding power despite not having an EB. I would still like to get an EB, will have to see, I cant help but to keep looking at buying another 12 valve though.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the Northstar Adventure at 7 feet wide and around 1900 lbs dry.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have the lock up switch currently, and I use it a lot. It helps even with the engine retarding power despite not having an EB. I would still like to get an EB, will have to see, I cant help but to keep looking at buying another 12 valve though.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the Northstar Adventure at 7 feet wide and around 1900 lbs dry.
Coincidentally,that exact camper resides down the street atop a 2006 3500 2wd Megacab. He's going to have to upgrade his front springs. Very nice unit.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I got lucky with buying my truck. The young millwright I bought it from had just put about $10k in new parts on it, and then promptly bought a 2013! The exhaust brake was the least of the new bits. I, like you would probably not have found the scratch for one any time soon.

Darwin

Explorer
Looking more seriously now, plan to purchase sometime in the next 2 months or so. I am looking harder at the Camplite livin lite truck campers. I was at first all about the cassette toilet but I am now pondering a Natures Head composting toilet in the wet bath of a livin lite 8.6 camper. I like the all composite or aluminum construction, especially with all the rains in central america and the potential for leaks. I know of one other person who took a livin lite camper down there and they say it faired fairly well. They do now have a '4 season' option, but I am not sure how robust it is. Sounds like extra insulation in the walls and 12 volt heated tanks. I also am not seeing many for sale with this option. Might have to wait for one to pop up for sale.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Several times you state the need for floor space. The Lance 1040 and 830 have the most floor space of any camper on the market with the European styling. You owe it to yourself to at least look at one. The Lance would have to be a used model. But that means less money.

Darwin

Explorer
Several times you state the need for floor space. The Lance 1040 and 830 have the most floor space of any camper on the market with the European styling. You owe it to yourself to at least look at one. The Lance would have to be a used model. But that means less money.
The 830 is for a short bed right? I have a long bed 2500 Dodge, so don't think that will work. I will have to look into the 1040.

edit: can't find a single 1040 for sale.

Last edited:

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Yes the 830 is for a short bed. They were just from that same new Euro line of campers. They can come with the tent bed for more room. The dog can have his own bedroom.

deminimis

Explorer
Darwin, as an option, I looked at Livin Lite campers. Did some research. I came across a number of owners complaining about leaks. Serious leaks. Thor Industries now owns them. As a result, my interest in Livin Lite quickly dissipated. They sure look cool though.

If I get a vote here, my vote is for Bigfoot or Northern Lite. You could save some serious money and go used but not abused and modify the interior to make it fit your needs. I'd still have a Bigfoot, but the wife demanded more room. They work very well in all environments:
Camping%2BMeadows.jpg

beach1.jpg

GOPR0007.JPG

simple

Adventurer
My progression. PU with canopy, westy, dodge cummins srw 4x4 with northern lite, sportmobile Quigley 4x4, dodge cummins 4x4 dually with bigfoot, now GMC 1500 AWD van. I've also spent time time camping in friend's rigs; Alaskan camper, pop up camper, lance camper etc. Everything has its pro's and cons.

Long story short after all that "rig a marole" I like a plain old insulated cargo van or truck with large well insulated shell. Add a house battery, ARB fridge, camping gear and emergency/poop bucket and adventure awaits.

If that is too sparse, my advise is get the smallest lightest cheapest camper you can. Start with something dry and non mildewy in the $2000 and see where it takes you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles