Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iPhone, PocketPacket, Baofeng UV5R and APRS

image.jpg If at first you don't succeed...

And of course I meant my UV-5RA on the stand. Brain barely engaged today!

So I am putting together the cable modification posted by John Boiles but I have a question. The schematic here shows the sleeve on the 3.5mm uv5r mic side going to ground. The schematic on the GitHub website shows it terminating to nothing. Which is correct? If it needs to be grounded, do I just tie it in with the 2.5mm uv5r spk wire?

Quote Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
    image.jpg If at first you don't succeed...
    I've been messing with this, using John's circuit board. Not having any luck at this point, sending or receiving. Any details on your setup? Sending and receiving? Thanks,
    Gary
    96 FZJ80

I recognize that this is somewhat of a Zombie post - rising from the dead.

I bought and soldered up one of John Boiles circuits using the boards from GitHub. I'm using a Wouxon KG-UVD1P instead of the Baofeng. Pinout is the same at the radio plugs.
    Running IOS PP on my iPhone 5, the app works, but then crashes the phone requiring a hard reset. Hmmmmnn?

Running the Mac App on my MacBook Air (same interface cable - pinout is the same at the combined audio/mic port) the app works well, but every time a packet is transmitted, iTunes starts up on my Mac!. I have iTunes Helper disabled as a startup app, and killed the running process, but still happens. Hmmmmnn?

Wrapped the interface cable end to end with aluminum foil and problem stopped!

Now I need to figure out a shielded cable, or add choking toroids, or insert a high pass filter to remove stray rf.

Tom

just a random data point - in looking for info on hooking up audio to androids, I've read that some flavors of apple devices use dc signaling via resistors on the mike in for pushbuttons or something. I don't know if that could be it, just guessing. If that's it, the fix could be to force the dc part to be some specific thing w/ a resistor or two. Again, I don't know mac interface, so this is a guess. Also, if your interference is common mode, an 1:1 audio transformer might get rid of it, as close to the computer side as possible.

Finally maybe I've hit the right web site to get some help.

I'm trying to figure out which plug rings on the Baofeng and the iphone plugs match the John Boiles TRRS/UV5R PCB. Such as plug ring numbers assigned to the wires on the schematic. I don't quite understand the schematic symbol and the relation to the rings on the jack or plug which ever it is called that I'm trying to match up. I don't want to smoke my radio or iphone by getting it wrong.
    I will attach the schematic which I edited with the plugs hoping someone can match the plug rings and schematic for me. If you would edit the schematic and place the plug ring numbers on the wires in the drawing, and repost it. Also attached the PCB with a question about soldering a jumper between the two points.
    many thanks
    Ken K5XOM
    TRRS_iPhone_adapter.jpg
    JohnBoilesPCB.jpg
    Last edited by 11bravo; 12-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Im New to APRS and have been searching tirelessly for a way top connect my FTM 400 to my iPad for Map tracking. Is there any way this will work with the data output jack on my radio? I dont want to switch to a windows tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by climbermatt View Post
    Im New to APRS and have been searching tirelessly for a way top connect my FTM 400 to my iPad for Map tracking. Is there any way this will work with the data output jack on my radio? I dont want to switch to a windows tablet.
    I'm pretty sure apple restricts the ports so you can't do it. Go to 4x4ham.com. There are doom good articles and links on the subject.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123