selling my 80 series and going with trooper

1morebike

Adventurer
I have made my decision. I have my 80 up for sale have my eyes on a 99 trooper with a 5 sp. I like my 80 but it seems to need constant maintenance I mean runs great but I just always feel I should be doing something to it. Anyway I had a Isuzu video and loved but the salt back in Michigan took it from me way to early. I'm excited about a trooper and would love any advice you can give me about a 99

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yup, keep an eye on oil levels. So far mine has been completely trouble free.its a 2001 auto

outofrshell

Adventurer
Join Planet Isuzu forum, a great source of info. I'm not sure what the gain would be with manual hubs our 2000 Trooper w/5 spd gets about 17-18 most of the time. The one thing that did seem to help a little was using a Flowmaster 50 series muffler to replace the stock muffler. Our Trooper uses very little oil but I use Shell Rotela 15-40 in it with regular changes, that is suppose to keep the engine cleaner and help prevent oil consumption and so far it seems to be working. They are a great trucks that are mostly over looked and under rated and in other countries very well respected. Parts can some times be a little difficult but with a little research they are available.Dave

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
What kind of MPG's are we talking about with manual hubs?

Lots of reports of folks getting around 18mpgs combined or about 5-7% better overall, generally.

I'm at about 16 combined right now, goin' 65-70 during my commute. I'm expecting at least to get to 17-18 once I'm not spinning that front drivetrain.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Join Planet Isuzu forum, a great source of info. I'm not sure what the gain would be with manual hubs our 2000 Trooper w/5 spd gets about 17-18 most of the time. The one thing that did seem to help a little was using a Flowmaster 50 series muffler to replace the stock muffler. Our Trooper uses very little oil but I use Shell Rotela 15-40 in it with regular changes, that is suppose to keep the engine cleaner and help prevent oil consumption and so far it seems to be working. They are a great trucks that are mostly over looked and under rated and in other countries very well respected. Parts can some times be a little difficult but with a little research they are available.Dave

Yup that what I've read. Manual hubs generally bring an auto truck like mine up to par mpg-wise with a stock 5spd

1morebike

Adventurer
missed the trooper by a day. that being said i have set my eyes on a 1999 montero if i can find one decent shape.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
missed the trooper by a day. that being said i have set my eyes on a 1999 montero if i can find one decent shape.

I was looking hard at those before i bought my trooper. Honestly, i'm glad i took he route i did looking back. Gen 2.5's are legit but for a lot of reasons, the trooper is the better truck for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles