Ural: bye bye carbs, hello fuel injection

Frank

Explorer
In my email today, I found a friendly newsletter from Ural stating they will no longer be producing carburetor based motorcycles. 2014 models will now be fitted with fuel injection and a host of other goodies such as disc brakes and a steering dampener. The email also stated they will be built in Michigan beginning in December.

Another word from the email, they will be more pricey but they will offer new forms of financing.

magaw

Magaw
Disk brakes for the rear? Hopefully a little power gain will come along with the fuel injection and What they really need is low a range on the two wheel drive model for those steep technical sections while fully loaded with gear and passengers. That's cool that they are going to be made in Michigan

magaw

Magaw
I wonder if anyone has ever tried retrofitting a selectable under drive box such as a Klune V or a Black box?

Tokarev

I saw the newsletter too. I took the Michigan part to mean the fuel injection system was designed there not that the bikes would be a U.S. product.

I'll have to see if I still have the e-mail in my trash folder. If so I'll take another read.

I welcome the change to fuel injection especially if it's a simple design like Royal Enfield. Not sure I'm crazy about the price increase since I think the bikes were already getting too expensive with the Patrol and Gear Up having a retail price that's pushing $15,000.

Tokarev

Here it is. I'm not sure if they're referring to the bikes or the FI system...

Here's what you need to digest in a nutshell: 2013's are the last of the carbureted Urals. 2014's will be EFI (developed and built in Michigan btw), with disc brakes all around, adjustable steering dampener and a million other things. More expensive, too. Slated for production beginning of December this year (disclaimer: this timeline is only for US market, schedule for other markets is to be determined).

Passionate about the carbureted simplicity? This is the last of them, before we become all fancy - pricey. Think quickly and rush to the dealers who still have the carbureted ones.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4

Frank

Explorer
I read it to mean that the entire bike would be built in Michigan. You might be right though.

Tokarev

Hopefully the reliability will increase with the increase in price. I had a 2001 that was my daily rider and I certainly enjoyed it but it really wasn't other than an entertaining novelty. The bike required constant attention and left me stranded a few times. Once was when the alternator gear decided to lose a few teeth. The other time was when a bearing went out in the transmission.

This makes me wonder if some of the smaller shops will be able to cope with the change in technology and the price increase. Some shops are already maxed it to the limit of their abilities with the existing bikes.

lonestrom

Adventurer
I sold Urals back in the late 90's-early 2000's and we couldn't give them away!!.
I could of bought the sidecar and frame for cost,around $300...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokarev

I sold Urals back in the late 90's-early 2000's and we couldn't give them away!!.
I could of bought the sidecar and frame for cost,around $300...

So what's changed? Has the quality improved to the point that these are worth the price?

I love Ural but it is definitely a niche market. It isn't like a guy goes into the Honda shop looking for a cruiser and comes out with a hack.

lonestrom

Adventurer
Back in the day we would tare down the NEW bikes and unstick rings,clean electrics and on 1 bike we took the top end apart and it was missing a piston !!.
I like Urals also but to me there are not worth the big dollars unless you HAVE to have 2wd.With this new FI and disc brakes these things are gonna be in the $15-17,000 range !!.The Russians are laughing all the way to the bank!!!!.

lonestrom

Adventurer
Complex is not always better !!.
I think there development $$$ would be better spent on QC issues!!.But it might be getting harder to meet EPA standards with carbs !!!.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, you can't compare QC issues from the late 90's and early 2000's. Thats over a decade ago and the company has gone through significant changes.
In 2007 Ural took a serous look at QC and things have been significantly better.

It will be nice to have a disk on the rear and outside wheels. Some additional power gain will be helpful as well.

Lower gearing would be a huge benefit too, maybe that will be the next evolution.

Brian

lonestrom

Adventurer
I have ridden late model Ural's ( 2011 ) my 1982 GS850 has 100% better quality.BUT they cater to a niche market and there really the only player so they will sell them at just about any cost. !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke