Maze Expedition Report, April 2013

bad luck

Observer
Very nice trip report, I live so close and have not explored that area much at all yet. But then again I haven't had a vehicle capable of going there before. I'm really looking forward to a trip there soon. Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Very nice trip report, I live so close and have not explored that area much at all yet. But then again I haven't had a vehicle capable of going there before. I'm really looking forward to a trip there soon. Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

Thank you! If you start from down by Hite the dirt road is super easy to traverse for quite a ways. Get going and explore! :sombrero:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Jim, that is the old version of the Lock N Roll that was known to bend when back up and turning. It kinks. The new version has been changed and no longer does this. Careful with the Max Coupler as it's not any better, we've had one come apart and almost separate completely on us.

The switchbacks had just enough room for me. I think it was the Z turn that killed my Lock-N-Roll coupler when I had to back up to make the turns. I think that if you have spotters they have to watch your coupler for binding rather than just watch for the trailer hitting the back of your tow vehicle.

NKN_3864-1.jpg

NKN_3862-1.jpg

NKN_3860-1.jpg

The big pin on the right was loose enough to rotate. Just like CnynRat I was able to tow the trailer home. I have since purchased a Max Coupler.

Check out this Portal thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68664-Pintle-vs-Lock-amp-Roll-vs-Max-Coupler

Box Rocket

Jim, that is the old version of the Lock N Roll that was known to bend when back up and turning. It kinks. The new version has been changed and no longer does this. Careful with the Max Coupler as it's not any better, we've had one come apart and almost separate completely on us.

Interesting. I've heard of these issues with the LnR, but didn't know the Max Coupler was having similar problems. So far my LnR has been trouble free and I think it's the same model as the one pictured.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Interesting. I've heard of these issues with the LnR, but didn't know the Max Coupler was having similar problems. So far my LnR has been trouble free and I think it's the same model as the one pictured.

When backing up your trailer make sure to have spotters watch the LNR more so than watching for the trailer hitting the tow vehicle when the trailer and tow vehicle are at right angles.

I think that I can recall seeing pictures of the newer LNR and I am not sure if I was unimpressed or just did not want to give my business to them a third time.

Dave, can you post up the Max Coupler details over in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68664-Pintle-vs-Lock-amp-Roll-vs-Max-Coupler

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I am looking for a trip to take my brother out in his stock LC 100 series. Do you think his truck would make it?? Nice report. If not j might do the trio with my boys after winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am looking for a trip to take my brother out in his stock LC 100 series. Do you think his truck would make it?? Nice report. If not j might do the trio with my boys after winter. [/URL]

Thanks! I am not that familiar with the model 100. The Sequoia in our group had a mild lift and did fine with plenty of spotting when needed. If the LC100 is comparable it will do fine.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

My Max Coupler is four years old now and has never faltered, bound up or failed on numerous offroad trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles