Vantastic CNG power

JPutnam

Observer
My name is Joshua. I live in Salt lake city.
I havent been registered on here very long. but I figured I would share my project.
Its a 1998 e250 5.4 dedicated cng van.

I bought it at the beginning of 2011. I had nothing but issues with it when I bought it. had it parked for half the time I have owned it. Put a bit of money into it and havent had any issues for a while now.
I calculated how much money I have saved by driving it compared to driving a gas powered car. Ive put about 50k miles on since I bought it.(yes I drive a ton) At $1.49 a gallon for CNG compared to >$3.50 for gas the van has paid for itself in the gas saving and has almost paid for the repairs I had to do.

The primary reason I bought this van was to tow my car to the track and be able to lock everything up securely in it, as well as sleep in it when funds didnt permit a hotel room. It has been years since I had something I could drive offroad and I have decided that It would be very enjoyable to be able to take this camping or on adventures to wherever.

My goals with the van, as of now, are as such:

Do it as cheap as possible. without skimping on quality too much. wait on parts till I can find deals. etc.
convert to 4wd for obvious offroad use.
thinking 6 to 8in lift
37" hummer tires, cheap and effective
Make rear bumper to have a tire carrier on the outside of the van
Build a roof rack strong enough to hold a handful of adults. (for watching from at the race track)
Make a fake floor and stuff as many cng tanks under it as possible to get more range.
Make it more livable inside. maybe make cabinets and carpet etc.
Get a bench seat so more than 2 people can legally ride in it.
Get seats that have arm rests. I get alot of crap for this but, no arm rest gets very uncomfortable really fast. arm danglin and stuff.
Get out more and camp or escape the world(or enter the world, whichever way you look at it)
Explore again.

So my search began. I was looking to see how much super duty axles were. After mentioning it to a couple friends, one happens to work at a wrecking yard, he produced a crazy deal on some dually axles that had new seals and bearings(supposedly) in them. they had been sitting outside for a few months but werent rusted stuck.

I didnt notice the warn hubs until I had loaded them in the van. sweet.
Now I realize these axles are wider than the normal superduty axles. I dont mind the extra width. not what I was going for to begin with. but I am fine with it. I do not plan on running dually wheels at all. just regular single wheels. I believe I can just bolt them on. or maybe get new studs then bolt them on. Anyone know for sure?

Well I decided I needed to find seats asap. (arms tired of danglin) so I searched a bit and found some seats I couldnt pass up. Another super good deal.

haha. kinda ugly. kinda cool. still not sure. but for $25 for the pair I couldnt pass them up.
The story behind them is a lady bought these seats in the late 80s planning on putting them in her van. the next day she wrecked her van so she never installed them. she kept them in her garage loft since. the loft was finished and closed off. like a time capsule. haha. said that the seats had only been sat in when she had received them. she was moving and just didnt care for them. the seats feel and smell brand new. they even had sliders on them. even if I dont use them in the van they are easily worth $25 to me. the only thing I dont like about them is they dont recline. they are fixed backs.

I decided it would be nice to have the passengers seat be able to swivel. so I started searching for a swivel base. I found a couple sites that sell the mount new for around $150. that was too much for me. I am trying to see if I can do this whole thing for as cheap as possible.
after a bit of searching junk yards I saw an older van with captain chairs in the back. both with the swivel mounts. just so happened to be at the yard my friend works at. sweet. I didnt have tools but he offered to remove one for me in trade for some stuff. a week later I got the mount from him with the carpet from the van still on in. a little adhesive remover and the gross carpet was gone. turns out its the same thing I found online.

It bolts right up to the sliders on the "new" seats. but might be a bit too tall. not sure yet.

I was looking around for some wheels as the new axles are 8x170mm lug pattern and my current axles are 8x6.5. came across a set of 16.5x12 -51 wheels. hmmmm. cheap cheap.. I have been looking into what tires I want to run and found a bunch of hummer tires for cheap. so 16.5 didnt bother me too much. jumped on them.

pretty good looking wheel. might do them black though.
well they seemed like a good idea at the time. nice width. nice wheels. got them back to the shop and put one on the axle.... this is bolted on. the caliper doesnt sit inside the wheel.. at all.

hmm. dually axles. hmm. already super wide. hmm. haha I obviously dont know what I am getting myself into. haha.
i have estimated that the wheels on these axles will stick out ~10 inches on each side.. thats probably not that great of an idea. we will see.

umm. I also wanted to do some mall crawling in this thing. so I started making a snorkel. I was planning on using some exhaust tubing but after seeing the prices for the bends I went with pvc. I know. I know. it ugly. I hate the look of pvc junk soooooooooo much. So I cut off all the bulky pvc connections and bought a plastic welder and tried it out.

worked better than I thought it would.

I have since sanded the seams down and got the whole tube to be nice and smooth. but I didnt take pictures. I also painted it to cover up the white filler plastic I used.

I also started on the roof rack. I need something that will hold a good amount of weight. so I decided to get 3/4 tubing. run a piece all the way across the gutter to disperse the weight. then make a rack above it. hard to tell by the picture but I welded on some tabs for the clamps. I also made the frame for the rack. just need to get a bit more tubing and some mesh.

this kinda seems like I have been jumping around not finishing one thing at a time. but this all happened withing the last 2 weeks. I have also put in more than 60 hours a week at work. So I will be completing stuff as time permits, and when I can get all the materials to finish one item(if I can get off work while the stores are still open.)

So far I am into the project(minus purchase of the van and repairs) ~$700 for the axles, wheels, seats, snorkel, old light bar, roof rack, etc. I feel I am doing real well as of now.

you might be thinking "CNG? that limits your range a ton. why would anyone be dumb enough to try that on a trail rig?" well youre right. I feel super limited and fuel is a big concern. I plan on getting as many tanks as I can fit under my fake floor. it will only be about 12inches tall. And truth be told this will see mostly freeway cruising. daily driving and the occasional offroad. nothing too crazy. I have become fairly good at planning out any trips around fill stations. I can make it to vegas with the stock tanks I have right now. then make it out to california. no big deal. I have about a 220 mile range now. fully loaded pulling car and trailer. with a bunch of tanks I hope to get up to about 500 or more miles per fill. If I can get that then I will be able to drive across the country without worry. I would like to go through some old mining town parts of alaska one day. but dont know if there are any stations up that way. still very limited if I start wanting to explore further.

I was thinking of making this van a bi-fuel using propane. propane is availible everywhere. I have met a guy who has done it before on a dedicated cng van. He claims it is real easy. just need a propane tank from an rv(prefered) or forklift(smaller). get a one way pressure valve to not pressureize the propane tank with the 3600 psi cng. Get a heat exchanger to not freeze the line and run a "t" before the cng regulator. then a way to switch the tanks. the ecu and maf will do the tuning. the biggest issue is the size of the tank. rv tanks arent small and they arent made for a small area(under my fake floor) so it will be bulky and will only grant me about 200 miles a tank. so I would be stuck trying to find a fill station for propane just as much as cng. still less limiting than just cng. Does anyone have any knowledge in this field? I would like to learn more about cng/lpg bi-fuel conversions.

I hope to find a transmission and transfercase from a 4wd truck at a junkyard.
another question I have is about the steering linkage. does the pitman arm on my van bolt up to the f450(I think thats what the axles are from) linkage? or what drop pitman arm should I order?

this project, that I was planning on taking my time with, kickstarted alot faster than I was thinking it would. but the deals were too good to pass up.

hopefully I will be posting some good progress on this fairly frequent. Also if anyone has any good used parts(springs, trans, etc) for cheap please dont hesitate to let me know.

also please forgive my horrible picture taking ability. "I dont camera."

Glad to be aboard.
thanks.

Last edited:

limatangobravo

Observer
I have a pair of custom made Deaver coil springs that I put on my rig before I started the Ujoint conversion. They Are for a 7.3l and I had an inch added along with 300 extra pounds for the front bumper and winch. I paid $450.00 dealer cost for the pair, let me know if your interested and we can work out the numbers.

JPutnam

Observer
I will have to pass. I dont want to make the arms and brackets to run coil springs. Thank you anyway.

I just read through the first post and it is a little scatter brained. I will try and edit it to make a little more sense.

JPutnam

Observer

I did a few small things on the van. nothing to special.

I painted the grille and headlight surround.
stock

painted

I also painted the snorkel. I need to figure a good way to hook it up. the AC condensor takes up almost all the room in the engine bay right here. I will try and move it as much as I can so I can finish this thing.

I also did a bunch of work on my rack. I ordered all the metal needed for it then took a long lunch to pick it up. after I got home I realized I only got 2 3/4 tubes instead of the 4 I ordered. the place was already closed. I hope to be able to get there tomorrow before they close.

(ignore the crappy welds and alignment. this side wouldnt hold straight. I will grind it all down and try and make it all as pretty as possible)

at this point I am waiting on the few pieces of tubing and the steel mesh. thenI just need to do a bunch of grinding and paint. I am planning on using bedliner paint.

I also was bored at work the other night so I did some paintchops(I dont have photoshop on my work computer. just paint) of bknudtsens van(hope you are ok with this). just some ideas I think would be cool. I dont plan on doing them. I dont have the patience.
first I just did this

then was throwing this van/truck idea around. so I did this.

I also picked up another large van cng tank. next pay check I should be getting at least one more then I should have upwards of 500 mile range. hopefully.

I also had a guy offer to sell me a full v10 swap from an excursion. the guy is doing a cummins swap so he pulled the v10. Comes with engine, wiring, ecu, acc. etc. no trans though. It also had a cng conversion already on it which is included. I would need to get a fuel tank and fuel pump. everything else is there. This appeals to me for 2 reasons. 1: it will be bi-fuel and make my whole limited range problem disappear. 2: v10 has more power. My van does fine on hill and stuff but I always wish it had just a bit more power. the best part of the deal is he only wants $800 for everything.

Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to swap engines in one of these? mostly I worry about the wiring. does the harness just bolt in to the van? Ive done my fair share of engine swaps, as my "race car" is an rx7 with an svt cobra engine in it. but I have never done a van swap. Also how do I go about getting it legal? I heard you need ford to flash your vin on the ecu. anybody know about this?

Last edited:

steelheadbum

Adventurer
CNG is great but if you plan on traveling you will have a hard time finding places to fill up.

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

JPutnam

Observer
run on CNG and gasoline. or CNG and propane. Gasoline and propane. diesel and CNG. or others. basically to be bi-fuel means to have the ability to run on more than one type of fuel.

JPutnam

Observer
been a long time. I sold the cng van and picked up a 7.3l one. looks a bit beffier but basically the same. I ditched the drw axles and am hunting for a srw front axle now.

ive been keeping my eye on some aftermarket fenders but havent found any pics beside these.
Has anyone seen these fenders on any other van besides the one pictured?
gu.128.jpg

gu.128-11.jpg

link: http://glassworksunlimited.com/prod...7-ford-econoline-van-fenders-3-flare-2-5-rise

also I took my turbo off the other day to fix a few things on the engine and realized somebody had either lost something in there or just decided to bend the fins. if I am going to replace the turbo I would like to do a slight upgrade. Does anyone know what turbo I should be looking for? also what tuner do you guys like best?

Last edited:

dcguillory

Adventurer
DPTuner is the bomb. "slight" turbo upgrade would be rebuild your turbo and add a wicked wheel 2 (bonus slightly increased whistle). Garret GTP38R is the next step but thats $1500

JPutnam

Observer
been a while. since all this I have purchased a duplex that has eaten up any extra cash I have had. I basically have just driven the van for the last couple years and just tried to keep it on the road. Ive had a good amount of issues with the van over the last summer that constantly had me tearing into it. replaced all the sensors on the engine. new valve cover gaskets and turbo o rings. New alt, new starter, injectors, etc etc etc. Well last September the van began to just randomly shut off. then not start for an hour or 2. did this about twice a week. had a shop look at it and they said it was all electrical. but couldn't tell me what was wrong with the electrical. Took it to another shop, a Diesel shop, and they messed around with it for a few days. Ended up saying that cylinder 3 and 6 had read low compression and that it was losing oil pressure through the rings once the oil became viscous. Then wouldn't start because it wouldn't build enough pressure with the hot oil. They said they've seen it happen time after time when people use starter fluid to start the 7.3 in the cold. I had a short spell there where it wouldn't start after a long day of sitting in the cold parking lot because of a couple bad injectors. would only start with starter fluid. Turns out that's bad I guess. Anyway the shop told me that unless I was married to the van it would be cheaper to just get a different one. After looking at rebuild prices I decided to let it sit. Keeping my eyes on want adds hoping a 7.3 engine would pop up for cheap.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago one finally popped up. its from a 1997. but from what Ive read the blocks are the same except for the mechanical fuel pump hole in the pre-1998 blocks. Read you can just seal it up and be good to go.
uYXB2fXl.jpg

IbPcoRjl.jpg

The story with this 7.3 is that it was from Murray city. they had issues with the truck at 20K miles and pulled the engine. dropped a new engine in and had the same electrical issues. This is that 20k engine. I got it for a killer deal. Im praying it will be solid. there was a good amount of dirt on the block but not very much grease or oil. The oil I drained out of it was black but didn't have any junk in it. I tried to crank it by hand and did a half a revolution before the compression was way too much for me to crank it. Seem like its good.

the drivers side exhaust manifold is different from 97 to 98. But I will be using just the block. I plugged the hole for the pump and ordered a new water pump and an oil cooler from an 08. I read they flow better and just work better than the 98 oil cooler. My engine gave out at 222264 miles. I don't know whats been replaced on it and what hasn't. so I wanted to do the oil cooler and water pump at very least.

Anyway I did a bunch of cleaning on the new block and got it ready for high temp paint.
eFQZdR7l.jpg

oHUI4dBl.jpg

I wasn't very excited about the paint choices I could find locally(cheaply) for engine paint. ended up buying 2 different colors of ford blue. Wasn't thrilled at all. I wanted a lighter color to try and be able to tackle leaks quickly and more easily identify where they are. But it seemed I could do white or yellow as lighter color. or blue and red/orange. that was all that was available.

Well as I was shaking up the blue paint I remembered I had a case of paint I bought for a hotrod project I decided to go a different direction on. dug through my paint bench and found the case.

Let me ask you what you know about the color green.

WbbqtWEl.jpg

LY1fVCol.jpg

here you can see the fuel pump plug I did. it was just a 7/8 freeze plug I siliconed and pounded into place.
Ddhexbrl.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Im not super into this color either. but its way better than a drab blue color. or a horrible red.

I had the day off yesterday so I decided to put in some work and get the engine ready for extraction. I would say its a solid 87% ready to come out. Whats left is 2 hoses, the starter, engine mounts and the trans bolts/torque converter bolts. Hard part will be pulling the 900lb engine on the crappy blacktop where the van is.

m6nthndl.jpg

I did notice the Hpop reservoir is different on the van than the one on the truck engine. So I guess I will have to change that out. There really isn't very much information I could find on the differences of truck vs van 7.3 engine. or pre97 and post 98 engines. So hopefully I don't get thrown for a loop on this. I do know the vans had different oil cooler ends than the trucks do.

Id love to get an upgraded hpop while its out. but I don't really have the cash for it right now. Im planning on using all the 98 stuff off my van. Injectors and hpop. wiring, etc. just use the block from the 97.

Anyway I don't know if anyone cares but I will try and post what I find as I do this.

Last edited:

JPutnam

Observer
did some cleaning.
V0VzTrAl.jpg

Xc6Q3uHl.jpg

and just need to find a press to put this back together.

lbaDjwMl.jpg

The engine is ready to come out. just need to figure out how to take it out where the van is. or get it somewhere better suited for being able to remove it. then it should be a quick swap everything over and reinstall new engine.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
One trick I've used when pulling a (Stupid) heavy Engine/Trans/T-case was to lift the engine with a hoist and then roll the Vehicle away. That way I wasn't trying to move the engine while the engine was bouncing up and down on the 3" box steel boom. Also did the same to remove and reinstall the 1000ish lb body with the same kick azz cherry picker. Both were heave and awkward... and wouldn't roll well on the rough driveway. The Vehicle on 31" tires rolled much better (with the aide of 2x4 levers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online