First things first, We'll see where it goes from there

Overland Hadley

on a journey
richard cabesa said:
Very good, Nut Squad, maybe we could meet for that beer :friday:

That is too funny!

I always thought it had something to do with the National Traffic and Safety something or another Department.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Much Mo Better

257882682_XyMer-M.jpg

The AAL perked it right up. There is only about 200lbs in the truck but I think it put it right about where I wanted.
257882733_5gb8q-M.jpg

Not harsh on the road at all yet much stiffer when I jump on the bumper.
257882786_xn3vf-M.jpg

We'll see where it goes from here :sombrero:

richard cabesa

Adventurer
A good day in the garage

It doesn't look like much, but I got in a good day of doing layout on my storage areas.

The bed area will have something like this going on.

258392061_jKDhZ-M.jpg

Most of the platform will be at the height of the ledge that's built into the bed. Compartment #3 will be 2" higher and be my "pillow" , I have a few seldom used items that need a little more height. Compartment #1 will be a drawer and have 150 lb full extension glides on it. Area #5 will remain open for a specific work item or a cooler/fridge and have a drop in panel to cover if needed. Compartments 2,4, & 6, I'm not sure whether I'll hinge them or just have them drop in place.

258376169_cTeZp-M.jpg

I didn't get to the lumber yard yesterday before they closed so all I had was the sheet of 1/4 for the bottom of the boxes. That was probably a good thing because it forced me to do a complete job of full size layout and and cut lists. Now when I do actually turn the saw on it will go quick and I think I'm actually saving enough ply out of one sheet to do the cab platform.

Again, with no wood to cut, I jumped into the cab. Pulled the jump seats and child seat brackets and made a template for the platform. When we travel we take this lump with us and she needs a nice flat floor
61695365_TVySs-M.jpg

But I need storage. The cab platform will have five opening doors. Two to access the jack storage boxes three more across behind the seats. These will access three seperate compartments with at least the center one being lockable.

Cardboard template
258376071_GMDHn-M.jpg

...to be continued....

Overland Hadley

on a journey
richard cabesa said:
Again, with no wood to cut, I jumped into the cab. Pulled the jump seats and child seat brackets and made a template for the platform. When we travel we take this lump with us and she needs a nice flat floor

What child seat brackets did you take out?

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
What child seat brackets did you take out?

These things. I should have said bracket, the two are obviously the latches for the jump seats. I'm only assuming it is for straping down a child seat, I didn't read those 35 or so frickin' pages in the owners manual.

258520316_mKLE3-S.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
richard cabesa said:
These things. I should have said bracket, the two are obviously the latches for the jump seats. I'm only assuming it is for straping down a child seat, I didn't read those 35 or so frickin' pages in the owners manual.

Thanks.

I took mine out this afternoon. I had been wanting to take them out for a while, but had not gotten around to it, and seeing the picture of them made me get to it. Did you take the plastic tub out, to get the carpet out of the way?

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
Thanks.

Did you take the plastic tub out, to get the carpet out of the way?

No. Is there any room to be gained if you take it out? I'm a little concerned about having doors inside of doors but I will have about 2" between the plastic lids and the bottom of my lids. I'll leave the tub and lids there unless I find them to be a pain in the butt. I'll find something to fill the space I'm sure.

The carpet I'm going to leave to line the bottoms of the forward three hatches.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
richard cabesa said:
No. Is there any room to be gained if you take it out? I'm a little concerned about having doors inside of doors but I will have about 2" between the plastic lids and the bottom of my lids. I'll leave the tub and lids there unless I find them to be a pain in the butt. I'll find something to fill the space I'm sure.

The carpet I'm going to leave to line the bottoms of the forward three hatches.

Sorry, I meant did you take the plastic tub out to move the carpet out of the way to get at the bolts for the jump seat. I did, it was a pain, but it worked fine in the end.

It looked like you could just unsnap the plastic doors, that way you would not have doors inside doors. I should have taken a picture when it was out.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
Sorry, I meant did you take the plastic tub out to move the carpet out of the way to get at the bolts for the jump seat. I did, it was a pain, but it worked fine in the end.

It looked like you could just unsnap the plastic doors, that way you would not have doors inside doors. I should have taken a picture when it was out.

The child seat tie down I was able to slip the carpet out from under the back of cab plastic panel to get to the bolts. The seat brackets I just cut about a 1/2" slit in the carpet and was able to get to them.

What's up with the "screws" that hold the plastic tubs in? I turned and turned and turned but they didn't come out.

And again, is there any extra space under there to be gained?

I got all my plywood cut up tonight but I think I'm getting sick so I shut it down. :(

Overland Hadley

on a journey
richard cabesa said:
The child seat tie down I was able to slip the carpet out from under the back of cab plastic panel to get to the bolts. The seat brackets I just cut about a 1/2" slit in the carpet and was able to get to them.

What's up with the "screws" that hold the plastic tubs in? I turned and turned and turned but they didn't come out.

And again, is there any extra space under there to be gained?

I got all my plywood cut up tonight but I think I'm getting sick so I shut it down. :(

There is not really much space to be gained by taking out the plastic tub. But you might need to take it out to get the lids-doors off.

Turn the plastic screws a quarter to half a turn, then pop the screw out, and after the plastic screw is out pop the plastic plug out.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
There is not really much space to be gained by taking out the plastic tub. But you might need to take it out to get the lids-doors off.

Turn the plastic screws a quarter to half a turn, then pop the screw out, and after the plastic screw is out pop the plastic plug out.

Thanks!

*cough*

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Quality shop time

I got to spend the whole weekend in the shop working on my storage boxes. Unfortunately without the truck here, the missus stole it form me to haul some stuff up to Chaquita Cabesa in San Francisco.

But, undisturbed, I got alot of work done. I got the box for behind the seats put together and covered with carpet yesterday.
261114466_uPErW-M.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
261114274_Szpok-M.jpg

Locking compartment in the center easily accessed from either seat.
261114235_BQoAr-M.jpg

I'm a carpenter not a carpet layer or upolsterer so I was a little concerned about getting a good fit on the carpet joints but it worked out great.
261114395_WEY4c-M.jpg

Today I assembled the boxes for the bed.
261113935_yUuVL-M.jpg

I used KV 8900 full extension glides. These things are rated for 500lbs. I'll never load them that heavy but I don't think they'll ever give me any problems either.:REExeSquatsHL1:
261113986_ZrC8G-M.jpg

I'll screw the top over the drawer in place and install the other opperable lids when it goes in the truck.
261114137_kqFak-M.jpg

I just put a coat of varnish on everything and had to get out of the shop. I'm high as a kite.

Time to drink some beer :beer: :beer:

daverami

Explorer
richard cabesa said:
richard cabesa said:
I'm a carpenter not a carpet layer or upolsterer so I was a little concerned about getting a good fit on the carpet joints but it worked out great.
261114395_WEY4c-M.jpg

Really like your setup. Your carpet job came out great. Any tips to share on how you got those corners done so well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12