First things first, We'll see where it goes from there

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Hi all, I did it! I picked up a brand spankin' new '08 access cab, TRD with the six-speed. So far I love it, of course it hasn't see any dirt yet :( It will.

247622866-M.jpg

First thing it needed was some tires that may actually work in the dirt so on went some 265/75 BFG A/T's and a quick and easy 2-1/4" lift in the front. Seeing as I can't leave anything alone, I'm sure I'll end up with some "real" suspension down the road.

247622852-M.jpg

I have a camper shell on order (need to lock tools up on a daily basis) and then I'll weigh the rear with tools loaded and decide on springs vs. AAL. I'm guessing that my normal tool load will be about the same as my camping load, 400-500 lbs. I'd like the rear to sit about another inch higher than stock when loaded so any suggestions would be welcomed.

I've been reading lots here and getting tons of great ideas and have a few of my own so I figured I'll share in return.

The next piece of hardware that I need is an onboard compressor so I can air those new tires down. Again suggestions welcomed. I'd like it to be an under hood permanent installation.

The next major project will be bed storage/platform/drawers that work for both work(sucks) and travel. I built a set-up like this in a van and have some ideas and drawings already going.

Oh!!! and my very special day thirteen mod that I don't really suggest for everyone. I call it the "get side swiped by the drunk woman in a motorhome at 7:30AM while parked at work" mod

248577775-M.jpg

I guess I don't have to worry about that first scratch any more.

Oh yeah, one more thing. My name's Dave, my parents really aren't that cruel

I'll be around :wavey:

Nice Truck! :wings: Crazy drunks! A motorhome none the less... :littlefriend: 13 days into it! Man that stinks! Thank God it wasn't worse.

Bjorn

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
Nice truck!!! and of course had to happen on Day 13. I'd be kissin horse-shoes my friend. Good platform though. Can't wait to see more.

richard cabesa

Adventurer
TACODOC said:
richard cabesa... LOL...

Welcome to ExPo!

Some get it, some don't :lol3 (you guys need a few more smilies around here.)

I got a PM from a guy over on ADVrider, four years after we first met there. He had just figured it out and was laughin' his butt off

The day thirteen thing. . . er . . . um, about two years ago my F150 crapped it's second tranny at 250k on a Friday and I just wasn't going to put any more money into it. I HAD to buy a truck on Sat, period. No time to shop so I picked up a 2000 tundra at a decent price. I really wanted the Tacoma but it would have to wait.

Well, cut this story short, and day thirteen I drag the rear quarter across a concrete pilar hidden in some bushes.

I told the wife last night that the next one ain't coming out of the garage on day thirteen

dennisuello

Adventurer
Welcome. On the day three I owned my brand spanking new Frontier, I was in a HD parking lot and pulling out of the parking space I see a rogue shopping cart zooming right at rear corner of the bed. Left a nice dent in the rear quarter. I didn't even have tags on the truck.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Congrats!

Great looking TRD! You made a wise choice. :sombrero:

I'm in SB often (my old home town). I usually ride the GS up there but if I bring the truck you're welcome to check out my AAL. I've got a shell plus a couple hundred pounds of gear that ride in the back full time. I'm very happy with the AAL.

Scott Brady

Founder
richard cabesa said:
Oh!!! and my very special day thirteen mod that I don't really suggest for everyone. I call it the "get side swiped by the drunk woman in a motorhome at 7:30AM while parked at work" mod:

That would make me cry.

I think class A motorhomes are hilarious. Lets take something as big as a house and sell it to the oldest drivers, with no training or special instruction... A train wreck waiting to happen.

ssmathis

Observer
Welcome and nice truck. DoubleCab 6 speed here. I'm also over on ADVRider. 1200gs is my other adventure toy.

Scott

richard cabesa

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
That would make me cry.

I think class A motorhomes are hilarious. Lets take something as big as a house and sell it to the oldest drivers, with no training or special instruction... A train wreck waiting to happen.

It did :(

In this case she was only thirty something. And, she hit another white Toyota p/u three blocks later and ran from that one too. Someone was kind enough to leave a plate number for me, and someone else reported the second one. The cops were a little puzzled at first with two idenical calls coming in. When they realized what was going on, they went back and arrested here for hit and run. :wings:

richard cabesa

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
Welcome to Expedition Portal!

Great truck, it is good to see another A-cab.

Thanks, and that brings up a question. How ridged are the A-cabs? Do they flex around off road and the doors make some noise? Or are they pretty stiff? That sure is a big gaping hole in the side of the truck when they're both open

richard cabesa said:
Thanks, and that brings up a question. How ridged are the A-cabs? Do they flex around off road and the doors make some noise? Or are they pretty stiff? That sure is a big gaping hole in the side of the truck when they're both open

Yes it is nice to see another Access cab. The access cabs are great IMO. I don't often carry people, but there are seats in an emergency at least. Not comfortable, but will get everyone there. Doors don't make noise off-road and the cab rides just perfect offroad.

I had Alcan aals on for a little while and while they were functional with my weight needs, they quickly began to squeak. Luckily they are not terribly expensive so if you decide to upgrade to new rear springs, it would not be a very big hit in the wallet.

Those motor homes scare me so much since most people have no training with something that large. You have to have training to drive a bus, but not these things:confused: Sorry to hear about the damage so soon. Back in college I had bought a used 95 Nissan Truck. Three days later and still had $5,000 to pay, a drunk driver ran me off the highway. We were going around 70mph and I could not control my skid into the median causing me to flip, hard.

I'm glad they caught her.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94