choosing a 29er ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
So, I'm looking once again for a 29er. Sold mine a few years ago, but now want to try again.

I need an XL/23-inch frame (last 29er was a Specialized bought at a local bike shop for about $750). This time around I'm looking for more entry level, say $500.

I know, save and spend more and get better components. But, I have some cash now, honestly don't expect to do anything knarly and am hoping just to start getting some exercise and maybe eventually get into some dirt. Nothing hardcore like in my 20s. So, as long as the bike has decent components, a good frame and double tubed wheels I think I'll be ok.

I'm looking at a couple here locally at Performance (seems like the regular bike shops I've checked aren't really dealing with model year closeouts and none have XL or 22/23-inch frames in stock in my price range). Performance though as a Diamondback Overdrive Expert at 499, or a GT Karakoram for $399 (tires on this one are more street vs. trail, but that is probably OK for now and my gut says the GT is a better frame). Both have Suntour XTC forks, Shimano Acera. The GT has V brakes, the Dback disc.

But, online, bikesdirect has this Dawes Haymaker http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/haymaker2900.htm for $399. Seems, to my uneducated eye, to have slightly better components. Free shipping and even if I paid $50 to have it tuned I'd be ahead of the game.

Does anybody have knowledge of this bike?

Other recommendations?

I did stop by Trek tonight and the 29ers started at 629 with the same components as the above bikes, but they did have the 26-inch 3700 disc on sale for 450. I may try that. I have a fondness for Gary Fisher and Trek as they've been my two primary mountain bikes in my biking history.

So many choices, so little money and really, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. In all honesty, my $80 ancient Trek 820 would probably work. Maybe I should just buy more camera equipment instead ...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A friend of mine has a GT 29'er, can't say for sure it's a Karakoram but it is not a high end bike. But solid bike, seems well spec'd for the price and it works fine.

That Dawes look alright, but I'd be surprised if it is really a $1,000 bike in most shops. Maybe $600. For a grand I'd expect hydraulic brakes, probably some Deore, SLX or X.7 bits.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I do not have any experience with the bamf or dawes bikes. For the diamondback vs. GT mentioned, to me the single biggest improvement in MTB over the years has been disc brakes and that would make me choose the GT. Also you should consider ebaying a bit. Bikes at this level are numerous because people bought as you are with the intent of just riding for exercise, or whatever and either found they wanted to move up or did not use. I would also think that at this price point the front suspension is pretty meaningless, as in won't give you that much of an advantage, so you could see If there are other bikes around with a rigid fork for less money, lighter and less hassles.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gt/gt_peace9er_multi.htm

Good luck!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Jeff - it's a bad time of year to buy bikes in Tucson. Late spring/early summer is better (college students are liquidating assets & getting out of town).

I'd be wary of bikesdirect - they list some nice components, but to get their price down, everything else is complete junk. Pretty much any of those discount houses will be the same.

It's probably worth your time to send Flounder a PM, or stop by Manzanita Outdoor (Prescott) some time to chat with him. He's an avid rider & the buyer @ Manzanita - so he deals with the industry from both the consumer and wholesale end. He'll have some insight that most of us simply don't.

If you're ever up for it, Cirrus Visual (local marketing company) puts on monthly "business networking" rides - basically a bunch of people get together & ride once a month, then sit around and drink a couple beers & talk business (more or less). They usually rotate between Fantasy Island & Sweetwater.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This actually isn't a terrible time to buy a bike. Typically, the new model year bikes will start arriving in September and October. As such, many bike shops are keen to move those models still lagging from the current year. That said, they won't start discounting those bikes until the new model start arriving. So, you might be a tad early.

My general thoughts? Avoid Bikes Direct. Avoid used bikes unless you see something that is a flat out winner. Used bikes over $1000 are a safer bet than used bikes sub $500.

Lastly, you will really have a tough time finding a good 29er for under $600. I'd hold out. The difference between a $600 bike and a $700 is minimal at best. The difference of a $500 bike and a $600 bike is pretty huge.

And Brian, I have since resigned from Manzanita Outdoor. Too much time inside. Not enough time OUTDOOR.

ywen

Explorer
what's deal with Bikes Direct hating? They list out components on the web site.. you know what you're getting for the price. it's generally significantly cheaper than the LBS for equivalent components.

if you have ability to do some self adjustment on bikes BD is a great option. If you lack bike maintenance skills and do not have interest to acquire any, then the premium you pay for an equivalent bike from LBS is worth it.

Everyone who have purchased from Bikes Direct is super impressed with the product and customer service.

I have purchased two bikes from BD.. great bikes for the money.. my BD touring bike is a great alternative to the typical Surly touring bikes at lower prices..

the model you reference - The Suntour low-end forks are pure garbage.. same whether you buy from BD or LBS.. I had an equivalently cheap 26" hardtail from BD with the Suntour fork and it sucked. By sucking I mean the suspension tops out very easily and clunks when it tops out. Perfectly fine for non-extreme riding though. My BD bike sold through an LBS would be $200 more. this was a $350 bike shipped lol!

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I respect these opinions, and have been able to tell through other posts that there are some really well experienced riders posting here. The bikes direct model I linked to was a GT Peace Model. I know GT is one of perhaps the lower end of the big brands in most cases, but the Peace is a great, solid bike. Coupled with a rigid fork and I would surmise that it would give the OP everything he was looking for in an easily upgraded package. As farr as an LBS, if you can find a similarly equipped GT Peace for the same price, no brainer, buy it. If you cannot, well, my guess (and I mean guess) is that any GT dealer LBS would be happy to work on your GT.

John

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
what's deal with Bikes Direct hating?
I think it's mostly how they market themselves. It's kind of sleazy. For starters, they bought some defunct names with actual heritage like Dawes and Motobecane, then slapped those names on bikes that have nothing to do with those brands. Secondly, they list their bikes as "60%" off of their own list. Mmmm....okay. That's a little odd. Lastly, when they categorize their bikes they often list a bike as "XT equipped" even if that just means a lousy XT derailleur. It's just shifty how they prey on new bike buyers by giving the appearance of an exceptional value when it really isn't. It's also kind of lame to spec a $1000 bike with a $5 stem and a $10 handlebar, but they know new buyers won't know the difference.

I'm not saying their bikes are bad. Far from it. I just don't think they represent some unusual value.

jeffryscott

Thanks for all the tips. So much info and so little knowledge on my part. The reality is I won't thrash this bike, but want the best bang for the buck that I can get in a 500-600 range. Finding my size is the most difficult thing with end of year sales.

I understand how the experienced riders look down on entry level bikes because the components wouldn't stand up to their use (I do the same with cameras), but the most I'm going to do with this bike, for now, is mild dirt and mostly pavement. I'd love to get back to doing single track, etc ... but honestly, I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

Is the $650 Trek Marlin 29er any better than the $499 Diamondback or $399 GT Karakoram or Timberline, all 29ers available locally? All have very similar components. I suspect for these prices I'd ultimately be paying for the service of the LBS, which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks again.

jeffryscott

Stopped back by Performance today and found a 2012 GT Karakoram 4.0, XL frame, v-brakes instead of disc and Suntour XCT (I know its crap) fork for $299. I was opting for this bike at $399, but for me, and how I'm going to ride it, at $299 it was an easy decision.

I think it will serve me well. If I grow out of it, then judging by bike prices on Craigslist, in a year or two I can probably sell it for close to what I paid.

Even the guys at performance were shocked when it rang up at $299, thought it was a good deal.

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
that is a good deal. great starter bike...

no need to spend too much money on a starter bike.. bikes are a very subjective thing.. and for casual riders, the rule of diminishing return applies heavily to bikes... you get very little realized benefits from a tremendous amount of additional money spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke