The not-so-definitive guide to Sienna seats

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Those look sweet!!!
Did both driver and passenger AND both sides of each lever need to be filed? On mine I only had to do one side of one lever. I'll see if there's a way to remove material on the base mount so this isn't necessary for others. Easier to laser cut some relief than to grind on factory parts.
Thanks for being the pilot customer!!!

Last edited:

onsight512

question about these seats for driver and passenger

Does anyone know if these seats typically are heated (in the Toyota)? I imagine that the middle row seats are not, but if the driver's and passenger's seats are (from the factory), is it possible to retain that feature on these seats if they're placed up front?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Does anyone know if these seats typically are heated (in the Toyota)? I imagine that the middle row seats are not, but if the driver's and passenger's seats are (from the factory), is it possible to retain that feature on these seats if they're placed up front?

The middle row recliners are not heated. They are all mechanical, no electrical bits inside at all. I've not looked at the Toyota fronts but since the recliners come out of a well optioned Sienna, I imagine that heated seats would probably be available. If the heater grid was separate from the upholstery, it might not be a difficult retro-fit. Aftermarket kits are available too. Those aren't difficult to install if you really wanted them.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I just wanted to confirm (it appears so from the pics) that these seats have integrated LATCH support?

ltvan

Thanks for posting all of this info! Can you tell me how high they mount the seat off of the floor?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The bottom of the seat is approximately 3" up off the floor if I remember correctly. The front of the seat is about 16" from the floor to the backs of your legs. It is a deep bucket so your butt sits down in there several inches.

onsight512

I was also very mindful of what I was mounting to. I have each seat tied into an under body cross member (and additional plates where needed) so that kind of limits your positioning too. Also, think about the forces on the mounting points in an accident compared to the stock setup. The factory seat belt anchors are located in reinforced panels of the body and the seats are attached to giant boat anchors on the floor. The Sienna seat has integrated seat belts so all of the forces in an accident are taken up by the mounting base and what it is bolted to... Just something to think about.

So this is the point that I'm at now: mounting. In my van ('02 E-350 RB), the hole pattern in the brackets line up a crossmember (front set of holes), but the rear set of holes land on the floor where there is no crossmember. I'm supposing that this is what the 'additional plates where needed' refers to.

What did you add, under the floor of the van, to beef up the set of holes that don't have a crossmember? Plate, angle, c-channel? Did you tie it into anything under the van, or is it just like a giant washer? I haven't measured under there yet, but at this point I am leaning towards a piece of c-channel. Maybe that's overkill, but my first thought was to see about a small I-beam. :)

thanks,
Chris

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So is there any word yet on mounting for the driver and passenger yet?

Actually, I've been meaning to post an update and contact all the folks that have PM'd me about these. I have started acquiring all of the parts for a small batch of mounts. I'm making 10 sets while I have a break from school towards the end of the month.
I just got a pile of seat track slides from warehouse salvage. Laser cutting and forming starting up this week as well.
three boxes of slides waiting for new mounts...
20140305_205551 (600x800).jpg

SoCalChaos

Observer
Actually, I've been meaning to post an update and contact all the folks that have PM'd me about these. I have started acquiring all of the parts for a small batch of mounts. I'm making 10 sets while I have a break from school towards the end of the month.
I just got a pile of seat track slides from warehouse salvage. Laser cutting and forming starting up this week as well.
three boxes of slides waiting for new mounts...
View attachment 214802
ready to paypal you money!
just say when!

SoCalChaos

Observer
waited to long to pull the trigger on a 2nd set of seats...
now they seem to be all gone from eBay. :oops:
any other place to source get them from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles