"adventure" bikes that perform well off-road

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Not sure I'd ride the NC700 where I go, the 900 is too big as is that Url thing, but cool bikes. I'm sticking to what I'm familiar with, the 650L and Transalp. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Kind of a lack luster list. None of those really perform well offroad. Maybe the KTM 990 in the right hands, then the Suzuki...the rest, man I dunno...

The writer was even doggin' on the KTM 690E in the comment section, since you don't want to put long road miles on...pppffftt who wants to ride slab with an ADV bike!? This article is supposed be about bikes for off-road right? He rags on the 690E about not being a pavement pounder, yet has the Yammie WR250R and the Honda XR650L, which are way worse on the pavement, and down right horrible in the dirt compared the KaToom 690E. It is like these articles are advertisements for the manufactures, and not what really works.

No KTM 500EXC? or Husqvarna 511? or Beta 520 RS? They come in street legal trim, the Beta even comes with a GPS! They have aftermarket larger fuel tanks available. Toss on a some Wolfman saddle bags or a Giant Loop and go seek out nasty trails. Ya know, go on an ADVENTURE!

The Mexico to Canada dual sport has less than 40 miles of pavement per day.

dirty.jpg

1006298_10152120803264745_770603434_n.jpg

2014 RS outline.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Magazine writers are experts about fishing boats one week and hot rods the next. They land a job that requires basic knowledge on motorcycles and that's what they are an expert on this week. Fwiw there are no adventure bikes that are good at off road. They can go off road but they are not good at it. There is no "both" so pick a 950/990 KTM for road bias or KTM 500 for more dirt bias if you want the best betweener bike.

Clutch

<---Pass
Magazine writers are experts about fishing boats one week and hot rods the next. They land a job that requires basic knowledge on motorcycles and that's what they are an expert on this week.

No kidding! I like how he is defending his choices in the comment section. Keeps on saying how much rides...dude really!? Do you even "off-road"!!?? LOL

A KTM 500 and 5.3 Acerbis tank is hard to beat for a dirt oriented ADV bike, get the range up in the 200 mile mark. Plenty of power, handles fricken fanastic, see a goat
trail shooting off the side...no fear about going to explore it.

I am kinda hoping they release DI for 2T's soon...will kinda make them "somewhat" practical for longer trips. Bumps up power, efficiency, can get a season out of one tank of oil. of course a "season" in AZ is year round...maybe a couple tanks then. ;)

Last edited:

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
In this month's Adventure Rider magazine is an article speaking the "One best all around bike." The author discusses the same querry as many of us have. What is the best bike for both on and off highway? People have owned and ridden a wide variety of bikes trying to find the right combo. It boils down how much time you want to ride on what! Just like tires! 90/10, 80/20, 50/50 hwy vs off-road. Weight and range has good and bad. Can't have one without the other. How well do knobby tires run down the tarmac?! Carving a canyon on knobbies is NOT a good idea!!! Busting through sandy backroads on street tires will find you on your nose in the dirt!

I know a 105hp, 500lb brute is not easy as is my case with a R1200GS, but I am six-one and weigh 225lb with all my gear on! That requires some grit just to move around. For me, a low first-gear ratio, some great knobby tires and some trottle....great things happen. In Arizona, it's a long way from one place to another. I don't trailer my ride, I ride my ride to and from. For me the GS is the best. But that's what I'm riddin today! But it's big gas tank makes alot of places traversable that otherwise may not be w/o carring a gerry can. Klondyke/Carpet hill run, Crown King, FR 300 to just name a few. Heck even the Reddington road is 53 miles long end to end. But it's all about choices. I am glad I live in a country that gives me that. AND a place to ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior