New Player in the Expedition Trailer Field

J-P

No affiliation.

I have been searching for the right expo trailer for some time, and happened upon these guys on CL. For whatever reason they already deleted the posting, but have a website.

The pics of their build are clearly of a prototype. I think the concept is pretty good, but see some issues in the design at this stage. I think with some tweaks they may actually put together a nice little trailer.

I don't like the roof rails. They look too flimsy for a heavy RTT, and I think would be better with something tied into the frame. The kitchen design seems okay, but I don't care for the high back behind the cooktop, or the high drawer. I'd have a hard enough time accessing it, let alone someone of a shorter stature.

The website and tech specs are lacking, but will hopefully be brought up to speed. The CL post indicated 30 gallons of water, a shower system, propane, cooktop, water pump, power system, etc.

Post up some comments. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say. If there is enough improvement/room for customization, it may have some potential for me.

The CL ad listed a price point of $5000, which I thought was quite competitive.

Website here: http://www.turtlebacktrailers.com/Turtleback_Trailers/Welcome.html

shapeimage_3.png

dzrtdave

Supporting Sponsor: Turtleback Trailers
Hi J P and all, I'm Dave from Turtleback Trailers. As J P pointed out those are pics of a prototype build. I actually never intended to advertise this site yet, I was just building it for ideas. The trailer on CL sold so I pulled down the ad.

We're building them in Mesa AZ sourcing the labor and parts in the Phoenix valley. I just got back from a 2300 mile run with that trailer running from here to Rocky Mountain National Park, thru Moab to home. It worked very well and gave me some insights for a few more tweaks.

After building the proto we reconstructed the entire unit in Solidworks (CAD Program) and now are taking that info to our fab shop so we now have all of our critical pieces laser cut and computer formed. i.e. external 0.040 aluminum skin, kitchen mounts, fender out riggers, water heater mount, water tank retainer and water filler mount. The unit is jig built using steel made in the U.S.

The kitchen is made with Baltic Birch plywood also cut on a CNC to insure consistency. In response to J Ps point about the over kitchen cabinet, it may be a little high but the storage and ease of use proved to be priceless on my 20 day trip. When iunloaded it to sell the contents of the rear drawers filled 3 large Rubbermaid containers. The overall storage in the unit is ample for a family of 4. The front compartment is 34x46x35(h) with plenty of room for my overkill ARB 60l fridge.

The roof rails and bars are redesigned, I used what I had laying around the garage for this proto. We're manufacturing beefy crossbars that bolt to the top and side of the frame. They won't flex off.

I'll have pics of the production units coming along in the next few weeks, is time to focus on the marketing now.

Some specs:

30 gallon fresh water tank
Flowjet 12v water pump
Suburban water heater DSI
2 burner Atwood stove/sink combo ( larger btus than the suburban on the proto)
3500# Dexter axle with adjusted spring rate for the unit
Deka group 24 Marine AGM is Std

There's plenty more info so give me a call if you have questions or want to see some addl pics 855-732-2383

Dave

Last edited:

Token

Explorer
The pics on the site are pretty cool..

One of the things I saw that you might want to look at is trimming the fenders from under the running boards.. I can see someone getting pulled up against a big rock and folding that fender edge back into the tire..

Another is that there's a lot of unusable space around the kitchen.. Particularly under it. Maybe lower it closer to the deck or raise it up enough that you could slip a small folding table into that slot.

Could put a pegboard on the inside of the back door with some elastic straps to hang cooking tools or a spice rack, cup rack, paper towel holder, towel rack, bottle opener, fold down shelf to increase counter space, etc...

Septu

Explorer
Pretty neat trailer. Only thought is that after the fridge is stowed (I'm assuming there's a slid out for that), that it looks like accessing what little storage space remains would be challenging. Any thoughts to lengthing the trailer a tad, or putting another another door to access the front compartment on the drivers side? Another suggestion would be to put a lid on the cubby on the door. It looks like there's a lack of counter space for food prep. Or some sort of slid out/fold down cutting board?

Last edited:

dzrtdave

Hi Token,

Yes the fenders will be trimmed up, I just didn't get to it on the proto. I've added a strap rear of the fender for a set of Yosemite Sams or some chrome lady mud flaps. Far enough back so you don't drag the flap into the tire and tear it off on a rock or stump.

The space under the kitchen is 2 5/8" and access is blocked by the door frame extrusion and the 1x2" steel door frame. So it's really pretty much on the deck.

On the back door there is only 1 to 2" of clearance between the door and the cabinet except for the area on the front of the dish rack on the door. There is enough space there for a paper towel rack and a dish towel rack. That will be on the finished product.

As far as extra shelf space. I've created a cool laser cut swing out shelf/rack that also adds addl security for the back door. It will add a 40" shelf to the left of the kitchen. Deep enough for a grill, food prep and dish rack. I'm thinking it will eliminate the need for any additional tables.

I know that most expeditionists will make they're own mods for what the want. I'm hoping to create a platform that appeals to most with opportunities for modification.

Dave

dzrtdave

Hi Septu,

If you look at the frame pics on the site you'll see that the framing is there for a drivers side door. I didn't install one to see how it would work. Without a fridge it worked okay. The guy who bought the proto is having me install one before he takes it. The production units will have doors on both sides.

Dave

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
A question that may lead to a suggestion.....what was your experience with the water storage tank being as tall when full? Thinking it's only just about 200 pounds full, the effects as to the CG and sloshing, if any, traversing the side of a hill for example. There are liquid containers as anti-roll devices, a simple passive system is a U shape, or an H shape. Longer, lower in height centered along the tongue line has the least motion of inertia to either side. Thoughts?

dzrtdave

Hi Ozarker,

I went round and round with that too. The tank is 17" tall if full there won't be slosh. Baffled tanks fall out of the range of affordability. I thought about laying the tank down, 12" high. Then I'd have to add tank protection to reduce the risk of punctures from things stacked on top of the water tank. Plus the the impact on the front storage space. So after weighing the up and down sides of bothe scenarios, I went with the vertical tank feeling that the risk of tipping the trailer was far less than the risk of puncturing the tank not to mention the additional labor and material to protect the horizontal tank.

My thoughts, I welcome inputs.

Dave

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I certainly understand the business aspects, cost-benefit, we failed to mention that the driver needs to be aware too.

BTW, nice trailer! Best of luck with your venture! :)

Token

Explorer
Sounds like yall have gone over some of those space saving ideas already.. Talk about a lower profile water tank and all, that 2 and a half inches under the kitchen might be an idea for liquid storage.. Of course that much weight behind the axle is "wag" waiting to happen..

Maybe somewhere to slide a flexible solar panel out of the way..

Regardless a very cool trailer..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles