new trailer electrical setup

JJMAC

Adventurer
searched for hrs to no avail.

can someone please lead me in the right direction?

have a new utility trailer looking to make it into a base camp (kitchen, storage etc).

i want to run led lights from it and already have a solar panel to hook up to provide a trickle charge.

what i dont understand is what i need to run electrical for a radio, led lights, maybe a fridge, charge a flashlight and cell phone etc. Also looking to have the vehicle charge the battery when driving to the camp site.

is there an idiot proof post that will show me what i need to do?

thank you.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
May I suggest you buy a book on basic automotive wiring? It's not difficult, but if you don't have a grasp of the basics, the results can be at worst, dangerous.

Automotive Wiring and Electrical System by Tony Candela would be a good place to start.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, you need to study some. "A" battery and a trickle charger probably won't run a fridge, radio...etc. You need to figure out the load required in amp hours and match the system to your needs. Look up Ohm's Law, resistance of wire gauge and the draw of the appliances you want to run (they may not all run at the same time). Search here for "Dual Battery System" there is some good stuff, it's here and shouldn't take two hours to find it.

Or, look for an electrical supply company that carries solar stuff or auto parts and go ask them what you need to run what you want. The amps are marked on all electrical appliances, copy it down and take it with you. At least they should be able to get you started. It's more complicated to give info from the info you provided. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz