Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know about ARK Portable battery boxes and where to buy them

Default Does anyone know about ARK Portable battery boxes and where to buy them

The Ark corporation from Australia has been advertising ( full page in the new Overland Journal) what appears to be a very cool battery box/inverter. I can't seem to find a USA place to purchase one and their local Web page won't work. Do any of you have any knowledge or info that could help me?

I bought one a few months back. It works, and the ARK people were helpful. Post up if you have questions.

Here's a copy of the e-mail I got in response to my initial inquiry. Tell Brett I said "Hi."

Hi Mike

Thank you for your enquiry about the Ark Pak, we are currently in the process of establishing an authorised distributor network in America, we are hoping it will be operational by December 2013.

If you are not in a position to wait until then and require the Ark Pak sooner, I am happy to arrange a one off sale for you, the price of the Ark Pak is $ 449.00 Australian dollars, there are 2 accessories you may also want to consider the DC to DC car charger $ 99.00 Australian dollars the DC to DC charger plugs into your cigarette socket and will charge the Ark Pak while you drive and the Ark Pak Mounting brackets as well $ 14.95 Australian dollars.

I have attached 3 links that relate to the Ark Pak which you may want to look at

http://www.arkcorp.com.au/c/37/arkpak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9nxN1O8CRbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_I9...layer_embedded

I would also have to obtain a quote on the cost to ship it over to your delivery address location.

To recap please refer below

Ark Pak – part no AP620 = $ 449.00 Australian dollars
    DC to DC charger – part no APCC60B = $ 99.00 Australian dollars
    Mounting brackets- part no APB20B = $ 14.95

In terms of payment you can pay by direct bank deposit into our bank account or provide your credit card details, happy to do which ever option suits you better.

If you have any questions please call or email.

Regards

Brett Collins

Ark Corporation
    8 Smoothy Place
    Arndell Park NSW 2148

Phone: +61 2 9678 9036
    Fax : +61 2 9678 9011
    Email : Brett@arkcorporation.com
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on Duratracs
    2008 Lexus GX470
    1989 Yamaha FJ1200 sidecar rig

Quote Originally Posted by mhiscox View Post
    I bought one a few months back. It works, and the ARK people were helpful. Post up if you have questions.

Here's a copy of the e-mail I got in response to my initial inquiry. Tell Brett I said "Hi."
    Mike,

Thanks I'll email them and see if they're up to sending another one.
    Do they have a 110 outlet or only 220?

Quote Originally Posted by scot zimmerman View Post
    Mike,

Thanks I'll email them and see if they're up to sending another one.
    Do they have a 110 outlet or only 220?
    The whole thing has been switched over to 110 Volt, both input for the re-charging and output from the inverter.

It's made to hold a Group 31 battery with no slop, and the Sears Platinum Die Hard AGM is rated at 130 amp-hours and costs under $300, so it's probably the most likely battery to end up in these. Mine works great. Let me tell you, though, you wouldn't want the setup to be any heavier. Sticking in a 75 pound battery puts the combined unit right at the limit of carryability for us wimpy folks.

I'm pretty sure they'll be eager to sell you one. Between the cost of engineering the 110V version and the full-page ad in Overland Journal, I suspect they'd be pleased to sell each of us one.
    Mike Hiscox

2008 Lexus GX470

perhaps "someone" will be doing a comparison of these all-in-one units in the near future?

everything else being equal, the charge while driving feature could sway me.

Quote Originally Posted by southpier View Post
    perhaps "someone" will be doing a comparison of these all-in-one units in the near future?
    I could comment if I knew of a lot of other alternatives. But I bought the Ark Pak because it seemed pretty much unique when the balance of size and capacity were considered.

Someone might well point out that you can duplicate the Ark Pak's capability yourself. And while it's true that here'd be no great trick to connecting up all of the components, getting everything into a single transportable unit would be tough. You'd need to source the connectors, the inputs, the wiring, the inverter, the battery and the charge status/use instrument. And then you need to find something of reasonable size to hold everything. (About two-thirds of the Ark Pak is space for the battery, so the packaging of all the other components is pretty tight.) So if you count your time for anything and want an ruggedized, integrated assembly of the parts, the Ark Pak will likely be a better way to go.

The Goal Zero Yetis are conceptual similar in being integrated power units, and there are three of them with various capacities. But the Ark Pak can provide 130 amp-hours, whereas the biggest Yeti, the 1250, is only 100 amp-hours. And the Yeti 1250 is much bigger and heavier, and costs much more, though it has a bigger pure sine wave inverter. The Yetis also have plug-and-lay solar recharging built in. The two smaller Yetis, at 14 and 33 amp-hours, wouldn't be capable of running a fridge and so they strike me as being for a different use, but the Yeti 1250 is more-or-less an Ark Pak competitor.

I had the Yeti 1250 for a while and it is an elegant unit, attractive and well-engineered, but it was just too big and heavy for my applications. Not that the Ark Pak (only about 10 pounds when empty but 80+ pounds with the big battery) is any featherweight, but it is dimensionally much smaller--essentially the footprint of a Group 31 battery--and easier to find space for in a truck. But if you have the space and the money, the Yeti 1250 also deserves consideration.
    Mike Hiscox

2008 Lexus GX470

I was actually looking at these today. Here is the 110V version available for purchase now.

http://arkusatest.customercommunity.com.au/Cate-Ark-Pak
    Mark
    Land Rover NAS 110 #234, 2.8 TGV Turbo Diesel
    HAM Tecnician call sign: KM4BOR
    Chronically suffering from wanderlust...
    My Land Rover Profile: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35729

are the National Luna units similar in purpose? or just one component in the system?

http://www.nationalluna.com/PPPack.htm

Sooooo..just jumping around the site, and I may have missed this, I don't see a way to separate your batteries, if you were to use it like a National Luna PP. It looks like a well built unit though.

mhis, did you get a shipping quote from ARK?

EDIT: I found it on their youtube video, it does have an isolator feature.
    Last edited by austintaco; 08-19-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: found info

Quote Originally Posted by overlander View Post
    I was actually looking at these today. Here is the 110V version available for purchase now.

http://arkusatest.customercommunity.com.au/Cate-Ark-Pak
    Another point to the patient. The prices listed on the U.S. site are enough less than I paid that using that website is the way to go. Thanks, Mark.
    Mike Hiscox

2008 Lexus GX470

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast