Tunook Build Has New Life

Tank5

Adventurer
Stone_Blue
Looks nice, a great start for someone! Just the way it is or swap out the drive train and hit the trails.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Just wish I had like $7K disposable cash....Say if I could get that Chinook for $2-$2.5K, there are a couple rough '00-'01 Tundras near me for $3500, and $4100 respectively...Would be nice to start a duplicate of what you got...lol

Tank5

Adventurer
I started working on the Interior with the intention of making it sleep able. Additionally not pictured I started tracking down a replacement canvas for the pop top. I found a wide range of estimates for replacements but not anyone who had made one before. So I decided to have a local shop make the canvas. They gave the cheapest estimate a few hundred dollars I figured there canvas would do until I had a better one made. The fit (very tight) is not the best and I had to go back for alterations 2 times. However it works and it does not leak. So it is good for now. If anyone out there knows of a shop that has made a good replacement canvas for a Chinook please let me know.

I started on the floor first and decided to use a ½ inch hard wood flooring for the isle area. I chose the ½ flooring so it would provide a solid cover for the battery compartment access. I placed a thin 1/8 inch particle board under the cabinet compartment areas to bring the floor flush with the mounting straps. I then placed a laminate flooring over the particle board for a durable and water resistant surface.

I wanted to insulate the walls and provide for some attachment points for the wall panels and fixtures. So I made wood frames to fit into the voids of the metal support frame of the camper shell. Inside the wood frames I used 1” foam board for insulation and Liquid Nails foam and panel adhesive to put it all together.

This is how it looked at this stage.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 198

swcruiser

Observer
Tank5,
I was wondering what happened to this cool build!! Glad your posting on your build! Im currently working on the LX450 + Chinook.

The walls and floors look great! Just a few suggestions....

The metal frame inside the chinook could definitely use some additional support. If you have access to a welder you might want to get some 1" square tube and add a vertical under the windows. If you've mapped out your interior already its worth it to consider utilizing the frame as anchor points for interior structures. I utilized the front DS to create a platform for my freezer and used the additional vertical to support the weight of the couch/sleeping area.

swcruiser

Observer
Tank5,
could you do me a huge favor and take a picture of the outside and interior of the windows??? I painted and rebuilt the windows but they do not sit tight with in the chinook frame. Is the interior lip of the window sitting against something (wood/spacer) between the fiberglass?

Thanks
chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles