Tunook Build Has New Life

Tank5

Adventurer
Tunook Build

A brief Introduction, I have been a member here for a while but have not contributed much mostly because I find the rest of the members more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Additionally most of the work I have completed on the rigs I have owned I did so using info. I found on this site. There is a lot of great information here if you take the time to search for it. Thanks to ALL of you!!

I purchased the Custom Tundra Chinook Camper started by Irbis Offroad which you can find the first part of the build here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...tion-Camper-by-IrbisOffroad?highlight=chinook . I worked a deal to acquire it in the fall of 2011 and have been slowly building it since. The build has been slow mostly due to budget, design research time, and my learning curve (figuring it out). I have no super special skills and completed all the work in my driveway and one small garage. I took my time to try and get it right and fit our needs. I did not document every little step of my part of the build but I hope what I do have will help others or at the very least for those interested see this project as it came closer to finished. There are still unfinished parts of it but I will share what I have so Far.

First I will show you how I got it and then where it is now.

When I got the truck the interior was gutted and the canvas for the pop up needed replaced. Photos Below.

Attachments

• DSCF2414.jpg
    DSCF2414.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 462
  • PB070460.jpg
    PB070460.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 513
  • PB070463.jpg
    PB070463.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

Tank5

Adventurer
Just a start I will add more later.

Attachments

• P8080841.JPG
    P8080841.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 455
  • P8070804.jpg
    P8070804.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 418
  • P8080831.jpg
    P8080831.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 400

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Wow very nice. When you get a chance some more pictures would be awesome, especially interior

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
^^ :iagree: :drool:

As someone who REALLY appreciates the true, old skool aesthetics of Toyota's 4x4s (pretty much a TEQ junky), and after seeing MANY of these hybrid, modded Toyota campers, (Chinooks, Sunraiders, etc), I have to say, the shape/lines/looks/scale of the Chinook surprisingly looks REALLY good on a Tundie....
In the 1st couple pics, I had to wonder about the lines/space along the bottom, mostly infront of the rear wheel....But what you did looks EXCELLENT blending it into the cab and overall look...
I gotta wonder how that would look/work on an AC Tundie...lol

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Remmy...didnt know you were a lurker here...:wavey:

Tank5, hope you dont mind, I crossposted a link and posted pictures on TundraSolutions.com..I can remove them if you like.

Tank5

Adventurer
Some Interior Shots

Attachments

• P8210875.jpg
    P8210875.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 336
  • P8210893.jpg
    P8210893.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 315
  • P8210895.jpg
    P8210895.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 321

Tank5

Adventurer
Last for Now I will try to get started on the rest soon.

Stone_Blue, The posts are no problem, Additionally I added this link in the thread started by Oleg on IH8MUD so they could follow.

Thanks all for complements.

Attachments

• P8210894.jpg
    P8210894.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 171

austintaco

Explorer
:wings:

Wow! I missed this post earlier when the other person asked about a chinook and a 1st gen 4runner. Glad to see it's been finished. Great work.

Tank5

Adventurer
T1.jpgT2.jpgT3.jpgKnowing it was going to be a slow build my priorities were to make it minimally usable as soon as possible but doing the work in a logical order. The first order of business was to remove the pop top of the camper. It had been damaged and repaired but not painted. The underside of the top where the spring lift mechanism mounts had some wood reinforcement that was rotten and needed replaced additionally the lift mechanism needed some TLC.

I removed the top and covered the rig with a tarp and supported with a brace to keep it dry outside for the winter while the work was done. I used a grinder, cutting tool, and scraper to remove the old rotten wood from the top. I then repaired some damaged areas on the top with fiberglass, then replaced all the wood and sealed it with fiberglass and resin as it was originally.

After the fiberglass work was all done I prepped the top to be coated with Raptor Liner to match the rest of the exterior of the Tunook. The raptor liner was tinted using base matched to the original Tundra paint code.

I replaced all the hardware on the top with stainless steel hardware. I had to replace the bearings in the lift slides which I was very lucky to have found at a government surplus shop.

This all took about 2 months to complete in my garage.

Last edited:

Tank5

Adventurer
Finished the pop top!

Attachments

• T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 212
  • T5.jpg
    T5.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 186
  • T4.jpg