Tunook Build Has New Life

Tank5

Adventurer
Just wondering if you were in 4 low when you tried this hill? I'm sure mine isn't quite as heavy but have loaded it pretty heavy and climbed some gnarly terrain in the Rockies

I had it in 4 low when I was trying to climb. The weight and trying to start from a dead stop on steep incline I am sure are contributing factors. I am sure if I took a running start I may have made it up but I prefer a slow controlled approach with the Tunook. It is a camper after all and not meant to be a technical trail rig. It has it's limits, I am just trying to push them a little. If I really wanted up I guess I have a winch but I consider the winch more a piece of safety equipment or insurance rather than a means of getting where I am going.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I would maybe offer in that particular situation a supercharger isn't going to do much for you. Compound gearing would get you much further in a much more controlled matter than "more power" would get you. Have you considered doing a dual transferase setup? Either using a lefty toy case, or a dana 300, atlas, ect? I know it seems extreme but having that gearing available to you really makes a huge difference when your wanting control.

Tank5

Adventurer
I would maybe offer in that particular situation a supercharger isn't going to do much for you. Compound gearing would get you much further in a much more controlled matter than "more power" would get you. Have you considered doing a dual transferase setup? Either using a lefty toy case, or a dana 300, atlas, ect? I know it seems extreme but having that gearing available to you really makes a huge difference when your wanting control.

I would agree that finding better gearing whether in the diffs or trans and transfer case would have better options to make the most improvement but it is not in the budget right now. The SC came to me in a deal I could not pass up, so that is why I am considering it. I suppose I could sell it and reinvest the funds into gearing but then I feel like I should reevaluate what I am doing with the Tunook and if another rig might be better suited for that purpose. I just might be working on something already that fits this second purpose. It would potentially get towed behind the Tunook on some trips, considering this the SC would improve the towing of a second rig.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I would agree that finding better gearing whether in the diffs or trans and transfer case would have better options to make the most improvement but it is not in the budget right now. The SC came to me in a deal I could not pass up, so that is why I am considering it. I suppose I could sell it and reinvest the funds into gearing but then I feel like I should reevaluate what I am doing with the Tunook and if another rig might be better suited for that purpose. I just might be working on something already that fits this second purpose. It would potentially get towed behind the Tunook on some trips, considering this the SC would improve the towing of a second rig.

I understand, thats how I fell into my supercharger as well. Undoubtedly out on the highway is where it will help and you'll enjoy it the most!

Tank5

Adventurer
I am probably just going to do it. I have it might as well. The only thing that gives me second thoughts is the cost of premium gas. I filled it up today and the difference was .50 a gallon. That adds up on a long road trip. I don't think it is enough to stop me from doing it, I just need to rationalize it. We have a weekend trip coming up. Probably after that I will look into installing the SC to see how it does. I can always remove it if I want:D

Tank5

Adventurer
I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've read that the 2UZ-FE doesn't like forced induction a whole lot.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/forced-induction/28476-warning-on-fi-2uzfe/

I appreciate you bringing this up. I have read some of the posts about people breaking rods but I have also read posts where people have run them without issue. I decided it depends on how you treat the engine as to whether it will hold up or not. Toyota designed the SC to work on the 2uz, so I expect it will work fine if you run it the way they intended. If you are trying to push the 2uz to the max then I expect it would fail if you didn't upgrade the internals. I am not looking to push for as much as I can get. I will run it with low boost around 6, and try to drive it respectfully. I am putting it in a camper, so no street racing for me.

I also have a second good 2uzfe on hand if it does not work out. I really do not want to swap my engine out though.

Tank5

Adventurer
Cool beans. This guy is supposed to be an expert on the supercharger for the 2UZ, and he occasionally has some for sale:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...2879-complete-new-2003-2004-trd-supercharger/

I will have to reach out to him for some advice. So the Tunook may not get the SC after all. I have found the programmer or ecu that came with the SC I have will not work with my harness. It came out of an 04 Sequoia, and the Tunook is an 01. There are some differences. I think I could make it work if I buy an unichip or URD harness but the cost is the issue. I was not prepared to spend another 700.00 plus to get it installed. I will either be selling the SC unit or sit on it until I am ready to buy the programmer.

Last edited:

Tank5

Adventurer
Nothing new but I thought I would share that I sold the Supercharger so the Tunook will not be getting a SC. After debating it for a while I decided it just doesn't need it. The 4.7 as is handles the rig great. I was also discouraged by the need to always put premium fuel in it if supercharged, curently it costs 100-125 to fill up both tanks with unleaded. I don't want that extra cost on long trips. If I decide I want to change the trail handling in the future I will look at re-gearing but for 99% of what I do with it, it is fine as is.

mrblah

Observer
Have you weighed the truck since?

I'm looking at a new gen Tundra to build something similar and the GVWR has me a bit concerned...

Hell of a hill to not make it up in 4LO.

Wish I knew about the blower! Sounds like a plug and play for my 04!

Sweet rig. That new axel will take some abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior