how did we ever live without our 12 volt freezer?

steelheadbum

Adventurer
last I checked this was an OVERLANDING forum not a backpacking forum! So why even mention backpacking on this thread, the question asked was in regards to a 12v fridge that being said if you are still using 2 yeti coolers Its because you have never owned a 12v. Trust me once you do you will only use your over priced coolers for transporting deer/elk/ fish meat like I do. I have since thrown my 60qrt in my NRS raft.

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

madmax718

Explorer
I kick myself for not buying the 300 dollar 25 qt dometic.. nobody here told me to jump on it. I blame you all. :)

But the relationship of it is, overlanding still does not "Require" a fridge, or even a cooler. MRE's, dehydrated foods, canned food, are all viable options for those who do not need/want refrigeration.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
My Sister got sick of having to restock the ice in the cooler and dealing with soggy food so she went ahead and stopped using a cooler all together. She only brings non-perishable foods and eats pretty well.

I personally don't know how she does it.. I can't live without my Engel. I've never tried the freezer function, but it's nice to know that I could if I wanted.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Get a good ice box and use dry ice to start with, won't need ice for 10-14 days.

Now, if your 6 year old is opening the cooler every five minutes you'll have a problem with ice or a fridge-freezer. :)

madmax718

Explorer
I found out that the old beer distributing place in my old neighborhood still sells dry ice for 1 dollar a lb. I might give this a whirl.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I just bought my first fridge (Engel MR040). Looking forward to not hearing that slosh slosh slosh from the cooler on the trail. Hopefully my single battery can run the fridge and my CPAP all night without excessive drain. Now I just gotta figure out how to pack this little basket, although since I am usually flying solo it shouldn't be a problem.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I just bought my first fridge (Engel MR040). Looking forward to not hearing that slosh slosh slosh from the cooler on the trail. Hopefully my single battery can run the fridge and my CPAP all night without excessive drain. Now I just gotta figure out how to pack this little basket, although since I am usually flying solo it shouldn't be a problem.

My hunting partner uses a CPAP device and will run a group 31 down to about 50% in one night. Depending on the temps you camp in (how much the fridge will run and how much it takes to start your engine) you may want to plan on an extra battery especially since you said you fly solo.

Darrell

Picked up this one this past year and repaired it then used it to transport 4 pounds of Grouper and 10 pounds of crawfish from Pensacola Florida to Denver Colorado at 28 degreees and had a great boil/fry at a buddies house!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
My hunting partner uses a CPAP device and will run a group 31 down to about 50% in one night. Depending on the temps you camp in (how much the fridge will run and how much it takes to start your engine) you may want to plan on an extra battery especially since you said you fly solo.

Darrell
I fly solo in my vehicle (plus the dog), but usually travel in groups.

My truck seems to crank/start vigorously in the morning after using the CPAP, never had a problem, but I don't know the actual battery measurement. Maybe my CPAP is more efficient, although I'm on my second one now, same result. I guess we'll see. The CPAP is more important, so if I have to I'll shut off the fridge overnight, and get a 2nd battery eventually. But the Engel is pretty efficient too (one of the reasons I sprang for it), so I am optimistic.

soul

Observer
I have ARB 50, it needs around 18 to 24 Ah to run through a summer day. Its connected to a dual battery setup using 100Ah LiFePO4 instead of Lead Acid, so very compact, useful capacity of over 80% and longer life (3000 cycles instead of 500). If purely run on LiFePO4, the fridge runs for 4 full days and some more without any charging. I limited alternator charging to 15A, to avoid alternator overloading, so if the engine runs for 1.5 to 2 hrs it can add one more day to the capacity. In addition, the setup allows Solar panel input which can make it completely self sufficient.

More details at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...PO4-in-a-dual-battery-setup?highlight=LiFePO4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior