Good overland duty hitch racks for bicycles?

Silver dude

Xplorer
What are you using? What would you recommend?

I'm currently using a Yakima mast rack. Has been beyond solid for many years. Just starting to get tired of the bikes contacting eachother as they swing on rough trails. I do like the ground clearance and being that the mast is thru the frame it does make it difficult for the bike to fall off.

20130727_124015_zpsfe424115.jpg

Traveling to Ouray, CO in a few weeks.

I'm looking at trying a platform rack like the Thule T2 or Yakima Stickup. Sort of nervous about thier abilities to hold up offroad.

I see some racks that make no frame contact and I'm skeptical about how solid it would really be grasping only tires.

I would prefer not to disassemble the bikes in anyway.

I'll be using it to haul two large Yeti 575's.
I've given thought to making my own using roof mounts with a custom box steel welded frame. However, I wouldn't save money and likely loose some of the tilt features.

Ben

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have a yakima holdup and can recommend it as being robust and worth the money.
Its a receiver type and features a curved tube that gives good clearance and departure angle.
The thule racks have a 90 degree fitting that looks prone to fail or get damaged.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Thanks after further review it appears the Thule isn't the best option I guess the pad material on the hook rots off and scratches the frame quickly.

I'm beginning to think I should just make my own to get what I want.

ericvs

I have the North shore 4 bike rack on my truck and it is pretty sick:
http://www.northshoreracks.com/

My gfs car has the Yakima Holdup. Compared to friends Thule racks, it is superior. The thule rachet in the wheel holder seems to fail early and they start to look much more weathered than the Yakima does.

Here are two threads that will help with inspiration as well:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/35025-Vertical-Bike-Rack-Options

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/44804-Pics-of-your-bike-on-your-vehicle!!

I am loving that iSi rack though. Post up here if you get more information on it OR when you buy one and install it, post pics too.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I have to disagree...both my thule ski rack and spare me bike rack have weathered much better than the yakima racks I've had. Love yakima round bars, but prefer the Thule racks (although I do have the newer model yakima powder hound on my Subaru - because of the fit on the round bars, not quality).

That said, I recommend the spare me. I hated my hitch mounted bike rack. If you think the spare tire rack is bouncy - wait until you hit a rough trail with a hitch rack (not to mention the clearance issues). I have the spare me on the Disco and it's perfect (unless you have an incredibly odd frame shape).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use a Yakima Hold-Up - haven't had any problems with it.

I don't go rock crawling any more - or cover any other 'extreme' terrain (other than washboard roads in Mexico), but it's held up fine over the last couple years.

I carry it on the front of the truck (yes - I have receivers at both ends), so the bikes are kind of in the way - but if you mount both of them facing the passenger side & remove both seats, it's not too bad.

olsen_karl

Adventurer
Another recommendation here for the North Shore Rack for offroad use.

I sold my Thule T2 and replaced it with two racks -- a Kuat NV for the car, and a NSR-4 for the camper truck. The Kuat is a nicer/fancier T2-type rack. The NSR is simple, crude, and rock solid -- downside: can't hold road bikes.

ericvs

Another recommendation here for the North Shore Rack for offroad use.

I sold my Thule T2 and replaced it with two racks -- a Kuat NV for the car, and a NSR-4 for the camper truck. The Kuat is a nicer/fancier T2-type rack. The NSR is simple, crude, and rock solid -- downside: can't hold road bikes.

I disagree :sombrero:.
1002334_747243730455_1449921091_n.jpg

Also, I don't have a picture of it, but the cross bars on the NSR rack happen to be the same diameter as the yakima roof bars. This allows you to mount a yakima bike rack vertically on the back of the NSR rack and carry your road bike that way.

I have also wrapped an old tube around the upper cross bar on my rack (between the NSR bike rack 'forks') and put the road bike on that way by placing the front wheel over the cross bar and resting it at the bottom of the headtube. Then the NSR wheel tie downs can be used and it holds the road bikes perfectly (even with fenders)

holaCG

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378776846.673863.jpg
I second the 1up rack. Had a few others and nothing compares to this one. Simple on and off and holds all sizes of bikes (that we have) very securely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12