Towing: What's the heaviest thing you've pulled? Have you exceeded max towing cap?

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Wellllll...

It looks like I'm going to be towing a *HEAVY* load. Unfortunately, there are hills. I'm picking up that parts Montero, and I will be exceeding the max towing capacity a bit. I figure as long as I let the truck go at it's own pace and go nice and easy, I should be OK.

I'll be towing another Montero on a 2,200 lb auto transport trailer...so the load will be around 6,700 lbs total.

My truck has 33's, and the rig I'll be towing has 30's. If the 30's are solid, I'm considering switching them out and putting the 30's on my truck so the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard, but I may not have the chance.

I'm wondering...have you ever towed beyond your vehicle's capacity? A couple weeks ago, I towed a load of about 5,400 lbs and it seemed to do just fine. But I'm adding a small car on top of that. lol. :Wow1:

DaveNay

Adventurer
Towing capacity is dictated by the vehicle braking ability. You will be able to accelerate and cruise acceptably (although slowly), but you are putting your stopping ability at risk. Physically the vehicle will probably perform fine, but you will need to be comfortable with the liability risk you are creating (get in an accident while exceeding the towing capacity and the insurance company may have some serious questions for you.)

rockwood

Adventurer
Once towed a LWB land Rover on a heavy trailer behind a Morris Marina which was like a Ford Fusion. Probably 7000 behind a 3500 car.
Brakes what brakes???
Scariest dang drive I ever did.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Towing capacity is dictated by the vehicle braking ability. You will be able to accelerate and cruise acceptably (although slowly), but you are putting your stopping ability at risk. Physically the vehicle will probably perform fine, but you will need to be comfortable with the liability risk you are creating (get in an accident while exceeding the towing capacity and the insurance company may have some serious questions for you.)

I'm more concerned w/ cooking the transmission to be honest. I leave one hell of a gap in front of me when I'm driving, 10x as much when I'm towing anything!

Any concerns that a chp will see you towing that and realize its over the tow capacity?

Nah, I doubt it.

Once towed a LWB land Rover on a heavy trailer behind a Morris Marina which was like a Ford Fusion. Probably 7000 behind a 3500 car.
Brakes what brakes???
Scariest dang drive I ever did.

********!!!!!!!!!!! I don't feel NEARLY as concerned now!!! ;)

I'll be throwing on an extra trans cooler before I leave tomorrow night, and I'll probably swap the 30" wheelset over to make the drive. Trailer has trailer brakes, and I use my gears if need be. Should be OK. I'll post pics! :) Thanks guys!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Whew, you will have trailer brakes, that was going to be my biggest question. Even with trailer brakes you are towing a load that is not only heaver, but longer than the vehicle towing it, so in theory you still have a much greater chance of the load pushing you off the road. I personally would not do it, and I tow A LOT with my truck and grew up around work trailers. Toss a buddy some money for diesel and do it the right/safer way, because none of us want to read the thread where you are parting out two Monteros and you spent the night in the hospital and a day in court.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
When and where Sean? My Armada will pull 10,000 lbs without a problem. My availability is very low, I have early Sat morning and that's about it.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I'm a towing fool... Tow at 85 mph a lot across the Great Plains States.

How many miles are you towing and what's at what speed?

JamesW

Adventurer
Progress will be slow,but with the smaller tyres the acceleration will be made better. With something that heavy behind you I would only recommend braking in a straight line,and not whilst going round corners :Wow1:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
When and where Sean? My Armada will pull 10,000 lbs without a problem. My availability is very low, I have early Sat morning and that's about it.

Nathan, I truly appreciate the offer and wish I could take advantage of it! Unfortunately, I'm making it an overnight thing. It was the only way I could coordinate it. I'm picking up the trailer right after work, then hopping on the 10 and driving to Blythe. I'll load up the truck late tonight, then crash in a hotel and leave to come back to OC before daylight tomorrow morning.

The hills in question are pretty much between Indio and Blythe...the elevation gets as low as sea level, and breaks 2000 feet at least 3x, with the peak being closer to 3000 in the high desert area.

I'm a towing fool... Tow at 85 mph a lot across the Great Plains States.

How many miles are you towing and what's at what speed?

I'll have an empty trailer on the way there (2200 lbs), and it will be loaded on the way home (2200 + 4600). It's roughly 235 miles each way, with a few hills to climb and descend.

Progress will be slow,but with the smaller tyres the acceleration will be made better. With something that heavy behind you I would only recommend braking in a straight line,and not whilst going round corners :Wow1:

lol, yeah, it would be one hell of a jack knife!!! :)

I don't have the option of a bigger truck, but I will go sloooow and easy. 55mph tops on the way back, only on flat ground where I've got a good field of view. I'll be getting on the road Sat morning by about 5am, so there shouldn't be much traffic at all on the way back to OC.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Whew, you will have trailer brakes, that was going to be my biggest question. Even with trailer brakes you are towing a load that is not only heaver, but longer than the vehicle towing it, so in theory you still have a much greater chance of the load pushing you off the road. I personally would not do it, and I tow A LOT with my truck and grew up around work trailers. Toss a buddy some money for diesel and do it the right/safer way, because none of us want to read the thread where you are parting out two Monteros and you spent the night in the hospital and a day in court.

Man, I wish I had other options, but I just don't. :( I appreciate the concern! Don't worry, I have NO issues with driving as slow as I need to drive to do it safely. I'd rather get pulled over 10 times for driving too slow, than to rush and cause a wreck. I should stop by my old unit and pick up a PLS...that should be able to tow it I think. Trailer weight is 16.5 tons. lol.

View attachment 180295

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Towed 18,000 lbs with my Power Wagon. Wasn't pretty or legal but got r done.

Sent from highest tree in the woods trying to get a signal

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Its not only braking- its tow vehicle weight and stability too

Like watching a big rig where the rig stops but the load does not and twists it arround in the road from the rear

Morris marina....not seen one of those fugly beasts for years..probably arround the time of my aprenticship....

morris-marina-01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles