What do you think of a 2.7 5 speed 3rd gen?

rc51kid

Adventurer
I am looking at getting my first truck to use as a DD, cross country and overland travel. I figured on buying in a year or two s i can save up for a nice at 4th gen. But i really like the 3rd gen looks and simplicity. Today i saw a 1997 base model 3rd gen, 2.7 5 speed, 4wd, 127,xxx miles looks clean for $4,850. How does this sound? I kind of want a auto but i also really like the simplicity and MPG idea of a 4cyl and 5 speed. What are your thoughts?

shmabs

Explorer
Given what sort of resale i have seen lately on 3rz third gens, i would say grab it! They seem to be fetching ridiculous prices, at least in my neck of the woods, where are you?

Mike

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Unfortunately the frames are very prone to rust. Check it out very carefully and bring a hammer to really check out the frame rails. My 99 was an awesome truck but the frame was crumbling after 9 years. If not for the recall, I would have had a junk truck...

Otherwise, I'd love to find another 4cylinder 5spd with a rear locker like I had. Just plan on adding a leaf in the back or getting some helper springs for worn out springs.

Anything under 5000 bucks with less than 150,000 miles seems like a fair deal for these trucks now.

Cheers,
Jorge

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That would be my ideal 4runner. The 2.7 is awesome--similar power output as the 3VZ 3.0 V6 but lighter and more fuel efficient. The 5-speed will really help make the best use of the available power.

I wouldn't say they all have rust issues. It really depends on where it lives and how it was used. My parents' '98 hardly has any rust underneath.

The 2.7s are pretty rare and I think they're ideal if you don't tow often. My parents have the 3.4 and I find it to be too much power while not towing. I short-shift it at about 1500 rpm. Might as well have the 2.7 with the lifetime timing chain.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Yea, I'm northeast. Everything needs to be inspected closely for rust issues... That being said, my 99 didn't have any rust anywhere on the body and the frame looked to have just some slight scale at best. Frame was gone. Just something to keep in mind. Just because the sheetmetal looks good, it does not mean the frame is happy.

-jorge

rc51kid

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. But i dont think i a interested anymore. I asked the seller if i could bring it buy my mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. He said "its perfect, i dont want someone pulling it apart". I can respect that but it also feels like he is unwilling to let someone look it over.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the input guys. But i dont think i a interested anymore. I asked the seller if i could bring it buy my mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. He said "its perfect, i dont want someone pulling it apart". I can respect that but it also feels like he is unwilling to let someone look it over.

That is a red flag, something must be wrong with it then. It isn't like you tear the whole thing apart to look it over.

SubAlpine

Ranger
Many will say 4 cyl is fine. Here at altitude, 11,000'+, my 3.4l needs 4lo to make many of the hills. True, I could do the same hills in 4hi, but I would be holding revs above 4k. I am sure the 4cyl has its place, but it would not work for me. Good Luck with what ever you pick.

montypower

Adventure Time!
and I find it to be too much power while not towing.

HA - Maybe on flat ground in a stock truck. No way in a built truck! 2.7L is a dog compared to the 3.4L especially after lift, tires, armor etc. I found the SC'r was needed to make the 3.4L fun after building it. To me... I prefer driving with a light foot and plenty of power than raping the truck just to hold speed.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Just for rust reference, my truck was at the dealer today for an oil change and is getting a new frame in the next 2 weeks. 2001 with 116,000 miles on it, I'm just happy I had it inspected during the rust program so it was still covered. Rust is a big problem in the north east...

-jorge

AxleIke

Adventurer
Just for rust reference, my truck was at the dealer today for an oil change and is getting a new frame in the next 2 weeks. 2001 with 116,000 miles on it, I'm just happy I had it inspected during the rust program so it was still covered. Rust is a big problem in the north east...

-jorge

I knew this was an issue with the tacos, but was it also a problem for the 4runners? I had my 99 checked for recalls, and there was no frame recall on it.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I haven't heard of any 4runners in the frame replacement program but I don't pay close attention to those vehicles as much.

-jorge

paddlenbike

Adventurer
The Tacomas use a U.S.-built frame constructed by Dana, Inc and the problems and recalls are associated with the trucks only. The 4Runners have a Toyota-built frame and are built in Japan. No matter what you drive, if you live in the midwest where they salt the roads, you should check the underbody for rust and make sure you keep things painted. I live in the west and my 2000 4Runner frame looks like new, partly because they don't salt the roads and partly because I do get under there and touch up places when I scrape the paint on rocks.

The 2.7 should be adequate, but I don't like adequate. I sold a beautiful '87 Xtra Cab SR5 4WD truck because the 22R-E didn't make enough power to make it useful as a truck. Once you add campershells, modifications and gear, things slow down quickly. Be sure to take that into account when you test drive the truck empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior