Spring over axle shock on M416

Brutus33

Getting ready to do a spring of axle on my M416. I can't fund a definitive answer on what kind if shock or where I can find it as stock will not work as intended.

Any help would be appreciated.

FredB

Observer
Stock shocks

I just used the original stock shocks. They are at quite an angle so I doubt they do much, especially since they are fairly loose anyway, but I have noticed no bad effects towing it. Mine is built up so I can use the annex of the roof top tent that's mounted on it, so I have 150# mounted high, but I get little sway on the highway and that's with the pintle hitch. The springs on the M416 are far stiffer than on a vehicle or most trailers. I haven't towed for any significant lengths on rough roads, so I don't know if the shocks might come into play in that situation.

Brutus33

That is what I was concerned with. I have an RTT as well and it's mounted 12" off the lid so I can use the anex (I'm 6'7" so I need height). The tent is 188lbs and the lid is about 120lbs. I'm concerned about being top heavy and this will be in the mountains of Colorado. I have extended the front frame almost 3' and I have a max coupler now instead of the pintle. I guess with the SOA and adding a 265 size tire I'm just concerned that I will tip it easy.

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
That is what I was concerned with. I have an RTT as well and it's mounted 12" off the lid so I can use the anex (I'm 6'7" so I need height). The tent is 188lbs and the lid is about 120lbs. I'm concerned about being top heavy and this will be in the mountains of Colorado. I have extended the front frame almost 3' and I have a max coupler now instead of the pintle. I guess with the SOA and adding a 265 size tire I'm just concerned that I will tip it easy.

Tipping was my concern when I built mine. I too have a SOA and am running 33" tires. I did not extend the rack due to my concerns on tipping. I cut the bottom of the annex off instead but I am only just under 6' so it works for me as a sitting room. My thread should have pictures of my shocks mounted and how I did it. It should also say the Rancho number I used. I based it on compression and extension of the springs. If it is not on there I can look on the trailer. I used factory springs and spring plates. We have taken to AZ and back a few times and both on and off road. The offroad bounce seems to be were the springs are most useful.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer

Even with the tent being a foot off the lid I can't imagine there being enough room to use the annex. I have SOA on my M416 with 33's and an a RTT mounted to the lid and all I can do is sit under the RTT. I use the stock shocks and springs on mine, just relocated the shock mounts on the axle when I went SOA. I've towed it all over CO on and off road without issue.

Brutus33

Even with the tent being a foot off the lid I can't imagine there being enough room to use the annex. I have SOA on my M416 with 33's and an a RTT mounted to the lid and all I can do is sit under the RTT. I use the stock shocks and springs on mine, just relocated the shock mounts on the axle when I went SOA. I've towed it all over CO on and off road without issue.

Sorry for the crazy late response BIGDAVE! My racks ontop of the lid extend another 12+ inches. So, I can get a little top heavy. The Annex does work as I have the short position and the long position to use. I use for jakcs mounted on each corner to lift and level the trailer at camp. I then can use the full annex height. Though with the jacks I have a little play which is annoying. The annex is key for me with the kids. Nice to keep stuff out of the tent.

I towed the trailer to telluride and back without any issues. No shocks attatched. I still need to replace my axel. Trailer bracks would be nice as my toung weight is getting high. My tires were hitting the wheel liners. Even with my lift. Still learning and changing the trailer as I go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior