flat bed ideas

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok I want a flat bed on my truck to haul my quads.

I have a 2000 Ford superduty crew cab short box. I never haul more than 2 at a time. The size varies from a stock blaster to a 6" extend banshee or a polaris sportsman or 2. I have a 26' travel trailer I haul at times but also have a CVT roof top tent that will have to work above the quads. To ad more to thelan this is also my road service work truck. And did I mention I need to be able to toss a dog box on there to.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

I have a 2000 Ford superduty crew cab short box. I never haul more than 2 at a time. The size varies from a stock blaster to a 6" extend banshee or a polaris sportsman or 2. I have a 26' travel trailer I haul at times but also have a CVT roof top tent that will have to work above the quads. To ad more to thelan this is also my road service work truck. And did I mention I need to be able to toss a dog box on there to.

All sounds do-able.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
First thing you need to do it spec out the quads (LxWxH) these are the largest items to be loaded.

Then decide if any boxes you use for work go one the bed or under the bed, are they modular or removable.

Decide if the RTT goes on the roof of the cab or on hoops above the bed.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

Watching with interest.
I have a 2002 F350 Crewcab shortbed (V10) and to be able to use for 2 ATVs (Polaris Sportsmans, so BIG and HEAVY) would be the hot-tip. The dog rides inside (no need for a dogbox) so I was thinking a ‘Normal' 6'6” flatbed for regular use, and a slide-out or flip-out 18”+ extension for when both ATV are onboard. I like your second example better with the lower ‘deck' and cutouts for rear tire travel. The lower the deck the better. It would easier to load the fat-pig Polaris ATVs and it would keep the CG lower is better. BTW- I'm running 35x12.5/16 with no lift now.

Ole Nasty

Observer
They make carriers that haul two atvs on your bed and you still have storage underneath and the ability to haul bumper trailers/campers.
Discount Ramps and Diamondback both have versions in production. I have the Discount Ramps version and its been great. Its also for sale.
1238226_10200523777157231_1116640068_n.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
I also run 35-12.5-16 no lift and prefer the lower height deck

I had a sled deck its in the scrap pile the weight that high dose not allow me to take the truck to where I want it. There to wide and with 1800 lbs on top of the bed ny wife was not impressed when we went to moab.

So flat bed it is.

98dango

Expedition Leader
First thing you need to do it spec out the quads (LxWxH) these are the largest items to be loaded.

That's hard to do I own 6 quads my self and my riding partner has 20 different quads depending on location of the ride.

Then decide if any boxes you use for work go one the bed or under the bed, are they modular or removable.

Work boxes will be both on top removable as well as below for things that I need all the time.

Decide if the RTT goes on the roof of the cab or on hoops above the bed.

Tent will need to be some what modular as I don't want to drive around all week with it. Also don't need the tent when i use my trailer.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok now that hunting season is basically over. I have time to get this going. I came up with a list of must haves.

Haul 2 quads
Mount RTT
Hold tools
Mount winch
Hold dead critters
Hold dog box
Tow 5 wheel

Ok I know I cannot haul 2 quads and tow a 5th wheel or haul the dog box.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I think the deck will be made out of 2/4 3/16. Keeping weight in mind then I thin 1.75 herw for the rack and extras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles