TXST8tj homebuilt 'Sherpa' type build

TXST8tj

Observer
This thread will document the build of my trailer. The use will be general weekend camping. I am not expecting to take it on any long offroad treks....not to say that I wouldn't like to, but I just don't have that kinda time right now. It will be towed behind one of two vehicles. I should note that I plan to casually image it after the Outlander Sherpa series of trailers. I like their design in that the RTT is functional independent of the storage boxes. I also like the segregated storage compartments; everything has its own place.

The first vehicle is my 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ. It is being built more along the lines of a rock crawler vs an expedition rig; ie, no Gobi rack or over the top rear bumper with extra baskets, etc. I also have a full-time back seat for my 6 year old son. End of the story there is....no room for camping stuff.
The second vehicle and truly better tow-rig, is my 2012 Ford F-250 FX4. A trailer this size will barely be felt being pulled with this big diesel.

Which vehicle we use will depend on the agenda, destination, and my passengers. If there is no wheeling involved, my wife is going, and just a dedicated camping trip, we'll likely take the truck. If there is offroading and camping involved and the destination is not too far, my wife probably won't be interested, so we might take the Jeep. If there is offroading, a long distance to travel, and/or my wife is coming, we might just throw the Jeep and trailer on a gooseneck and haul both with the truck :)
I think you get the point....I have options.

I am still finalizing the general dimensions, but I am moving forward with material purchase since that needs to be done regardless.
The frame will be made with 2.5", 1/4" wall square tubing. It is possible that 1/4" wall tube is overkill for the entire base frame, but I think using a smaller material (dimension-wise) could stand some strength where possible. The upper frame will be made with 2.5" 1/8" wall. I think that will be plenty strong to support a RTT.
With all that said, I am open to feedback and other ideas. I plan to pick up the steel tomorrow.

I made a quick run to today to pick up a couple items. I grabbed a tongue jack and a wheel to swap in place of the flat foot. I grabbed the main wiring harnesses for the trailer. I got safety chains and the 2" ball coupler.
Tomorrow is steel and axle/leaf springs.

EE779C6E-BDAB-4411-A351-3481C3737151.jpeg

Last edited:

TXST8tj

Observer
Awesome! I am keeping this over here for now. I'll post over there when I make some progress. I have already told myself a dozen times that I have too many projects going on, but I don't listen to myself a lot.

TXST8tj

Observer
I am planning on sticking with a 31" tire. I run a 35" tire on the Jeep and the truck is about to get outfitted with a 3" lift and 35s. I think 35s would look cool, but I don't see the need...at least not right now.
The axle will be a 5x4.5 and I want to run the same Black Rock 909 that I have on the Jeep. I am not sure what I am going to do for the tire.

I won't have a RTT for a while because I haven't even started to research them. I am not a small dude, and honestly, I have reservations about the abilities of some of the tents I see out there to support my weight. For the meantime, I look forward to having the trailer to store everything and something to expand on as we 'grow as campers.'

I would like to run an on-board water system, will secure a propane tank for a grille, will secure gas/diesel cans. Otherwise, the usual camp-type stuff storage.

Flashole

Adventurer
I am planning on sticking with a 31" tire. I run a 35" tire on the Jeep and the truck is about to get outfitted with a 3" lift and 35s. I think 35s would look cool, but I don't see the need...at least not right now.
The axle will be a 5x4.5 and I want to run the same Black Rock 909 that I have on the Jeep. I am not sure what I am going to do for the tire.

I won't have a RTT for a while because I haven't even started to research them. I am not a small dude, and honestly, I have reservations about the abilities of some of the tents I see out there to support my weight. For the meantime, I look forward to having the trailer to store everything and something to expand on as we 'grow as campers.'

I would like to run an on-board water system, will secure a propane tank for a grille, will secure gas/diesel cans. Otherwise, the usual camp-type stuff storage.

The RTTs are great for one or two people. I have a family to take with me camping, so I figure that one large tent is the way to go for us. I'll use the space on the top for bikes or other overflow.

1/4" may indeed be overkill and needless weight. There are some experts here on that subject, so I'll let them comment on that.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Without knowing the specifics of your build, but looking at the coupler your purchased, I would probably go for .120 wall for the frame and 14ga tubing for the rest. Maybe some 2.5"x2.5" 3/16 tubing for the the coupler attachment and rear receiver.

2.5x2.5 1/4 wall is 7.11 lb/ft!

On my way overbuilt M101A3, the frame looks to be .120 wall 4" channel.

TXST8tj

Observer
RagnarD, I think you are right about the overkill. I kind of suspected it, but I just wasn't sure, and frankly I over built things on a regular basis so my judgment is off.

I think 2.5"square tube, .125" wall is going to be the winner for the main structure, but I will stick with the 1/4" wall for the tongue.

TXST8tj

Observer
Picked up the steel this afternoon. Went with the 1/8" wall 2.5" for the main frame and 1/4" wall for the tongue.

24' of the 1/8" tube (2 x 12') and 12' of the 1/4" tube. It's a start....will probably need some more 1/8"

2FF79E51-E53A-417B-9AEA-3009F6D8B252.jpeg

Last edited:

TXST8tj

Observer
I picked up some more parts today during lunch. Northern Tool has a lot to offer in the way of trailer parts and the prices are pretty reasonable from what I can tell.

I grabbed the 3500# axle. I was surprised to find that they had one in stock that was the 60" width that I was looking for.....yea for not having to cut it down.

4D33C544-6E71-4562-BFE0-E6E199B1A020.jpeg

Got the hub kits for the axle. I do count on running brakes, but I am going to save that expense until I get a little more into this.

186ED9E7-9E62-4910-BE2E-A01013306DCB.jpeg

I picked up these fenders. I like them, but I am still considering making my own.

E057525F-CFC8-4DF7-B8CF-0ADD708CC1C3.jpeg

The last item I grabbed was a leaf spring kit. I considered going with some Wrangler springs, but for simplicity's sake I think this is the better route for me. I plan to add some shocks to the setup. I hope it will be a satisfactory ride.

24D5361C-2E9C-4F61-85A1-5192C45E4E3C.jpeg

ignore all the other junk in the bed of the truck. I installed a lift on a buddy's truck yesterday evening and was too tired to take everything out. Brought my new auto-drop steps with me in case I had time to install those while we were at it....maybe this weekend.

Last edited:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Good luck with the build. I've had my Sherpa II for nearly 4 years now, and I absolutely love it.
I had my top rack built a little higher than the main box to allow for a variety of options up top. I'm incredibly happy I had it built that way, as I'm able to secure water cans, firewood, wet stuff, etc. I also have an expanded metal lined box underneath my kitchen slide-out, another place to store firewood or wet stuff. I've gone with several different tent setups. I originally had a Yakima Skybox on top to hold all my bedding, and I used a cheaper Columbia cabin tent. I then decided to go with a covered entry RTT with changing room. That worked OK, but not ideal for traveling with dogs. I then decided to fit an OzTent RV5 in the Yakima, but it was too big. So, I sold the Oz and went back to the RTT. I realized how big a pain it is to deploy/pack, and how inefficient it was when traveling with a pack of labs. So, now I'm back to the Yakima on top with a Turbo Tent. I'm going camping on Labor day, so I'll try to get a few pics with everything deployed to give you some more ideas.

TXST8tj

Observer
Bringing this back from the dead....

My little buddy (not so little anymore) helped me start on the trailer today.

0DC154BB-7B9B-4DF9-BCD1-8330CA05A234.jpeg

I knew the spring perches were going to be too close to edges of the axle, but I wanted to do a test fit to make sure my plan was going to work.

The plan is simply a 4x6 frame, with the springs 4' on center.
I bought a new set of spring perches to install rather than try to reuse the originals. Besides not having to be delicate with removing the old ones, I can align the new ones using the old as a guide.

A12F3E3A-BC9F-4AF6-9851-3FD30D787DEE.jpeg

I am thinking I will run a 10.50" wide tire (31"), but I want to give myself the option/clearance to run a 12.50" wide tire if I choose. I used a 35" off the TJ for a quick test.

96CC0251-1C5F-4EB1-8EC5-5D9595CD5417.jpeg

1B9F393C-A72B-43FB-849E-A5F28D408D66.jpeg

I start cutting the tube tomorrow.

Last edited:

TXST8tj

Observer
Got the perches welded in.

071CCF08-CDCB-4817-9846-5BACB1979A65.jpeg

Then got the main frame tubes cut and started welding together.
I am going to have another piece of 2.5" tube sent to work this week so I can get the ladder pieces cut and welded in, and have some for the diagonal tongue support pieces.

I am probably going to bring it in to work to continue working on. I can't run more than a 1.5" bead before tripping the breaker. I have a dedicated 220 for a welder, but only have a 110 welder currently.

5167760E-E544-4BDB-9DE4-C970DDD565A4.jpeg

Last edited:

TXST8tj

Observer
Picked up another 24' of 2.5", 1/8" wall tube today during lunch to finish the frame.

Would love to have this rolling by the end of the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles