Sprinter 4x4/Pop-top now available in the US.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Looks like 4x4 conversion for Sprinter is now available in the US from Salem Krogen

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=536

anyone has heard about this? or seen those?

This company says it will offer conversion this summer:

http://www.cosgoo.com/oberaigner_info.html

I have a Sprinter 2500 in front of my house right now (belongs to a friend). I test drove it last night and I LOVED it. It's much more powerful and fun to drive than I imagined.
I think it could be a great platform for my next expedition vehicle.

It's a 2006 with 8000 miles - extended roof/lenght - the biggest one.
My partner bought it in L.A. and he is bringing it to gtrv.com for a camper conversion for a client.

Sportsmobile is also offering a pop-top conversion for Sprinter

http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_sr-penthouse.html

please post if you have any additional information on this!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
fyi, here's an email I received from Salem Kroger

Thank you for your request for information. Salem Kroger has been quietly converting over 3,000 new and used vans and class A, B and C motorhomes to 4x4 while improving ride quality, handling and safety for almost 20 years. Salem Kroger is registered with the US D.O.T. as a manufacturer and we certify we meet or exceed all applicable Federal safety standards when converted. The Sprinters we are converting right now are new 2007 with a 3.0 V6 turbo diesel and 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratios. We will be introducing the conversion on the earlier years next. The 4x4 conversion we are building has a Dana 60 front axle, comfortable riding coil front suspension, 2 speed manual shift transfercase, oversized front and rear sway bars and a set of long stroke Rancho RSX99900 adjustable shock absorbers. The front brakes on the 4x4 axle are so large we must upgrade tires and wheels to at least 17 inch to fit over the rotors. We include a set of BFG LT245/70E Rugged Trail tires on steel wheels with each conversion and offer lots of other tire and wheel options. The starting price for 4x4 and handling upgrades is $17,172.00 plus options and applicable sales tax. Our conversions have competed in the Alcan 5,000 mile arctic race, the Baja 1,000, the Baja 2,000, the Silver State and the Paris to Dakar, they can take a beating off road. But the real world is on highway at 75 MPH with other traffic and the wind blowing. We build a comfortable riding, precise handling, safe conversion to live in the real world.

Motobueno

Soon we will see!

Leaving the bay area today for a trip up to Mt.Shasta.On the way back I am going to stop by Salem and try and get some pics of there Sprinter conversion.We were there last Thanksgiving when they had just started there first one.Hopfully it will be on the road.
Tom

06 2500SHC
too many bikes to count

Motobueno

no luck this trip!

My wife and I stopped by Salem Kroger on monday.Unfortunatly there first conversion had been taken apart for power coating before final assembly.Craig said that it will be on the road by the end of the week.I really wanted to see one done but will have to wait.I hope that they post some pictures when they are done.
Tom

T.Low

Expedition Leader
pics of euro 4x4s

from the web. Came across these in my search for 4x4 exp. style rigs, the Iglehaut Allrad.

brettf

Adventurer
There are a few threads on this subject, so I don't know which to bump... but does anyone have any updates on the Salem Kroger conversion or any US conversion?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here are the pictures I received from S.K. some time ago

original.jpg

original.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
brettf said:
There are a few threads on this subject, so I don't know which to bump... but does anyone have any updates on the Salem Kroger conversion or any US conversion?
The latest, totally unofficial, word I had was that Salem-Kroger have built some trucks, but there are enough problems left to solve that they are not yet prepared to do a customer's conversion. Anybody with better information, let us all know.

There's always that company in Iceland . . . :rolleyes:

brettf

Adventurer
Thanks for the updates Christian and Mike.

Definitely disappointed that nothing has ever really come out of this at a consumer-ready level, but I'm sure the Sprinter is a difficult animal to work with for a 4x4 conversion... as compared to, say, an E350...

I've written S-L... we'll see what they respond with. I'll update this thread if I hear anything back.

brettf

Adventurer
And.... a response with a couple of photos. So... sounds like they are in production to me... don't know how big of grain of salt to take, but the email encourages me greatly!

Craig Jackson from Salem-Kroger said:
(via email to me)

Thank you for your request for information. Salem Kroger has been quietly converting over 3,000 new and used, vans, ambulances and motorhomes to 4x4 while improving ride quality, handling and safety for over 20 years. For many years the Ford E350 was the biggest part of our work load, but the Sprinter has about the same number of requests for information every week. We are converting the 2004 to 2007 Sprinter with 5 cylinder diesel and the 2008 / 9 with V6 diesel engine, 2500 and 3500 models, single and dual rear wheels, 3.73, 3.92, 4.10 and 4.18 gear ratio rear axles. The conversion we build is an American style 4x4, just like a Ford F250 or F350, it is not a light duty all-wheel-drive like a mini-van. The Dana 60 mono-beam front axle has manual hub locks, a set of 7,000 lb. disc brakes ( requires 17 inch wheels to fit over the rotors ), comfortable riding coil front suspension, Bilstein front shock absorbers, Dana drivelines, manual shift transfercase, Rancho adjustable rear shock absorbers, 3.5 inch lift, oversized front and rear sway bars, poly sway bar mounts, factory ABS, stability control, traction control, air bags and sensors and a set of 5, size LT245/70R17E BFG Rugged Trail Tires. The price starts at $17,500 and up depending on options and exact specs. plus applicable sales tax. The Sprinter handles very nice, precise road manners and comfortable ride, that's what a customer expects now.

sprinter1.jpg
IM003370.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
brettf said:
And.... a response with a couple of photos. So... sounds like they are in production to me... don't know how big of grain of salt to take, but the email encourages me greatly!
Good news, fer sure. Thanks for getting us an answer, and if you decide to proceed with the conversion . . . boy, will you have a lot of people rooting for you. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles