My homebuilt RTW sidecar..

lonestrom

Adventurer
This is the second rig I have built.The first was a Vstrom rig with lots of ground clearence and a straight axle/car tire.It worked great but the Vstrom had alot of elect issues and stranded me too many times.
So I built this rig useing a 1982 Suzuki GS850G ( built proof and easy to fix ).
I built everything except the tub,encluding the single sided swingarm.It has a 2,000# winch on it and carries 2 extra gallons of fuel.This winter the tub is coming off and a flatbed/box is going on.Also I will be reworking the suspension on the whole rig.I hope to take it RTW in the next 5 years.

ejy4a6yv.jpg

jarutuny.jpg

be8a2ume.jpg

yjyqy5a3.jpg

ubaseha9.jpg

y4amuqen.jpg

There is a LONG build tread ADV titled
The 12x12 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on your build. It's very impressive and should serve you well. I had a GS850 and thought it was great.

lonestrom

Adventurer
It's my 4th GS850,I have found that they don 't do anything great but they do most things very well.!!!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I like that swingarm and the disk brake. I though I was getting flash with a single disk on the front and nothing on the chair. Severe disk envy. :drool:

Mind you the old BM doesn't exactly scare the dyno. Most of the original horses have bolted leaving a few mangy pit ponies in their place.

Best of luck with the RTW. Feel free to get in touch when you are close to going as we usually have a couple of travelers staying here that can provide up to date advice.

lonestrom

Adventurer
I have not hooked up the hack disc yet,waiting for some extra $$$ for a 6' long SS brake line!!.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:Wow1: That's amazing! Great condition! I had the 1000 GS, and loved it, dang that thing was quick in 82, rode it from Ft. Polk to Ft. Riley.

Now, did you say a home built sidecar? Man that's nice, looks factory, must be the attention to detail and great skills.

bad luck

Observer
I think it looks professionally built. I have never rode or ridden in a sidecar, I think it would be a lot of fun. I bet it takes some getting used to though. Thanks for posting.

lonestrom

Adventurer
Ya there's a
Pretty steep learning curve.You suceed or crash !!.hehehe
I had never even sat in/on a sidecar before building one !!.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
where in the world did you find that beautiful leading link front suspension? Are you going to add a steering dampner?

I'd really like to put something like that on Precious. The major downfall with my DL650/DMC has always been the front end.

Dale

lonestrom

Adventurer
where in the world did you find that beautiful leading link front suspension? Are you going to add a steering dampner?

I'd really like to put something like that on Precious. The major downfall with my DL650/DMC has always been the front end.

Dale

It’s a DMC unit,you really need to try a pair DMC leading legs.There 1/2 the price of the leading links and work awesome.
I got a SCREAMING deal on the leading links and a complete subframe for $2,000..
Am I going to see you and Nancy at the TT rally this year ??.
cafe7d24143d976cde83bebeab37bb14.jpg

Last edited:

lonestrom

Adventurer
It’s a DMC unit,you really need to try a pair DMC leading legs.There 1/2 the price of the leading links and work awesome.
I got a SCREAMING deal on the leading links and a complete subframe for $2,000..
Am I going to see you and Nancy at the TT rally this year ??.
cafe7d24143d976cde83bebeab37bb14.jpg

The new build starts next week !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles