Basic Tool List

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I found it easier to approach it that way than to try to anticipate what I might need.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Gallon Jug

To be used to catch gear oil or fluid you may need to put back in. A small section of screen from a screen door to filter the large chunkcs out if you need to replace the fluid. If you are lucky enough to have spare fluids, this is to insure it is not left on the trailside once you switch fluids.

One item in my tool roll, survival kit, and jacket. Toliet paper, you never know how long you will be out on the repair or limping home :)

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
HAH! TP is definately a tool you don't want to be w/o.

Years ago (High School) I took the Sierra Club's "Basic Mountaineering Training Course." They taught the "10 Esstentials" needed for survival. My instructors called TP the '11th Essential.'

FWIW, I've had good results using the red rags that I carry anyway for straining the chunks out of fluids.

In a pinch a chamois will filter water out of fuel.

SEREvince

Adventurer
This might be a step up to the Ultimate Tool List, but what about welding supplies?

With a multiple battery system already in the ride it seems like with just a couple cables, electrode holder and some welding rods you'd be in business. It'd be a pain to remove the batteries but better than being stuck with a broken part.

Oh and don't forget the eye pro!

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/minutemods/welder/

Not to mention all the drool worthy onboard welders!

http://www.zena.net/

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/Mobi-Arc-Onboard-Welder.htm

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/pwerintro.html

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
On that note, Huntsman makes a soft leather welding helmet designed to use a baseball cap as it's "foundation." The lens hangs off the cap's bill, but being all soft leather (except the lens & frame) it folds/lays flat.

ckkone

Explorer
Anybody carry one of these? :costumed-smiley-007

All-in-one socket?
g1.jpg

TeriAnn

Explorer
seriessearcher said:
To be used to catch gear oil or fluid you may need to put back in. A small section of screen from a screen door to filter the large chunkcs out if you need to replace the fluid. If you are lucky enough to have spare fluids, this is to insure it is not left on the trailside once you switch fluids.

When out on a trip I carry atwo surplus German machine gun cleaning kits on the roof rack. A lot of them went through the surplus market a couple years back. The kit consists of a pair of 5L jerry cans, a brush and rag container all sandwiched together in a shallow pan. One jerry can is for solvent, one for waste solvent and the shallow pan is the parts cleaning tray. It is great for field repairs that include cleaning parts & catching oil. I normally carry 2 of the kits, which gives me four 5L cans (1 empty for waste, 1 solvent, 1 90wt, 1 anti freeze) one large jack stand and a square of thick plywood that can support the weight of the jack stand or the hilift.

And yes the jack stand has come in handy for a couple camp site repairs. Try replacing a front axle without one.

spunky2268

Adventurer
TeriAnn,

I did a pretty thorough search, including your site (love Lacey, BTW) and Google, and I cold not find the cleaning kits you mentioned. Do you have a pic and a source?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Good topic. I've been carrying a loose assembly of tools I acquired over the years (probably like most people) but I really need to get serious and put together a deliberate tool kit. I'm at work right now, though, so I don't have time to go through the list.

I'm a big fan of tool rolls. I have two, a large one I got from Northern Tools (I think it's the bucket-caddy type) and a smaller one I got for my motorcycle. Now that I no longer have the bike, I need to combine them into a single tool kit.

My biggest headache is sockets. I need to put my sockets onto a socket holder so I can find the one I need instead of having to search each one for the right size.

Of course, I've also got the "Yuppie Repair Kit"* with me always.

I need to do the same thing with recovery/survival gear, too. One thing I got into the habit of when I was going to school in Laramie (and doing a lot of driving back and forth between Laramie and Denver) was that I always carry a -10 sleeping bag in the truck. It takes up very little room and can mean the difference between life and death if I break down/wreck on a cold winter night.

* Yuppie Repair Kit: A cell phone and a credit card. :D

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
tool roll

http://www.wolftrax.com/products/tr/

these ones are sweet. i have the largest size. the top flap has 3 big sections which could take a small bag'o' sockets - or plastic hard container of miscellanious screws, et cetera.

not the least expensive on the web but very well made and a good company to do business with. i had mine in a week. some of my tools were larger than the dividers so i just took a razor blade & picked out the stitching in between.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
My tool, spare parts, just in case, and necessities list got way outta control. It was such a PIA to keep track where everything was. So I ended up making a list of the stuff onboard and where it is in the Jeep. The locations are 4 ammo cans, a center console, under seats, glove box, on wheel wells, and on spare the tire carrier. Plus there are 6 different self conatined kits. This is the quick responce bag, A small Craftsman 10.00 duffle, most repairs can be handled with it alone:
QUICK RESPONSE TOOL BAG:
- FOLDING ALEN AND TORX WRENCH SETS
- STUBBY AND REG SCREWDRIVERS
- 6” VISE GRIPS
- SNAP RING PLIERS
- 6” DIKES
- RATCHING STUBBY SCREWDRIVER /W APXES
- 8” CRESSENT WRENCH
- 3/8” DR SHALLOW AND DEEP SOCKET SETS
- 3/8” DR RACHET
- 3/8” DR EXTENSIONS 3 – 6 (X2) – 8 – 10
- ¼” DR SOCKET SET METRIC AND STANDARD
- ¼” DR RACHET
- ½” TO 3/8” DR ADAPTER
- 3/8” TO ¼” ADAPTER
- MISC STANDARD WRENCHES (5/16”-1/2”-9/16”-5/8”-11/16”-3/4”)
- SLEDGE HAMMER
- 3/8” TAMPER PROOF TORX BIT SET 10-55
- Shop rags

I also carry a heavy maintence box, for drive train repairs, an electrical kit including a multimeter, a welding kit, and a tire maintence kit. The spare parts list is insane, axle shafts, drive shafts, ball joints, all engine electrical parts, steering assemblies, etc etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles