Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets see your "CONVERTED" overland bikes.

Default Lets see your "CONVERTED" overland bikes.

I built this for my wife to ride to Alaska and the North Slope.1994 GS500 Suzuki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

That looks great, Ive been looking for something similar, low budget bike to take exploring and to just get back out on a bike. What size are those tires? Any clearance issues with them?
    15 Sierra K1500 crew long, 2" level/Firestone airbags, 235/80R17 Firestone winterforce / 265/70R17 red general grabber on bronze level 8 MK6.

07 Chevy C1500 HD, Fox 2.0, Lightforce, CST 4" spindles, 235/85R16.

Awesome.

That little Zuke was probably real sure footed on all the dirt and gravel with that tire combo.

I never converted anything. I just rode them where ever I wanted.

My little 700s took me down plenty of dirt roads. So did my friends GPZ1100..

2011 FJ NSSE | 2007 KTM 990 Adventure | 2002 XR400 (Plated) | 2000 KLR650 (Semi Retired)
    Spotwalla tip logs

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcoat View Post
    That looks great, Ive been looking for something similar, low budget bike to take exploring and to just get back out on a bike. What size are those tires? Any clearance issues with them?
    The front is a 120/70-17
    Rear is a 140/80-17
    Both fit,but VERY close!!!.
    Beware that any bike going up the Dalton will never be the same!!.You will be finding Dalton Dirt for years to come.

This is one of many car washes we visted.I had to do some repairs on the GS so we washed her ( Dora the purple explora ) so I could fix her.

Last edited by lonestrom; 09-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
    Awesome.

That little Zuke was probably real sure footed on all the dirt and gravel with that tire combo.

I never converted anything. I just rode them where ever I wanted.

My little 700s took me down plenty of dirt roads. So did my friends GPZ1100..

I remember trail riding my NightHawk S. Best bike I ever had, nobody told me that you needed a special bike and tires to offroad with...so I just rode the bike I had down any trail or gravel road there was. Guess that's kind of been my theme. I ride whatever bike I have at the time. I road my first century on a Mt Bike because nobody told me you needed skinny tires to ride a century.

This is probably going to be my favorite thread in the moto section. Love converted bikes and homemade scramblers.

One of my all time favorites and hopefully some inspiration for your own GS500 [not mine], but the thread can be found here-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...30726&page=33:

Last edited by NorthernWoodsman; 09-03-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road double-cab short-bed
    1994 Toyota Hilux Extra-cab (soon to be for sale)
    1990 Audi 90 20V Quattro (sold)

Yup that one and Chris Scotts were the insperations.

Mark Twain

i guessed as much after i saw your bike on another forum. yours, or hers i suppose. looks great by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestrom View Post
    Yup that one and Chris Scotts were the insperations.

2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road double-cab short-bed
    1994 Toyota Hilux Extra-cab (soon to be for sale)
    1990 Audi 90 20V Quattro (sold)

I have often thought about getting an older SV 650 and putting better tires and suspension on it just to use on dirt roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
    I have often thought about getting an older SV 650 and putting better tires and suspension on it just to use on dirt roads.
    There has been several built over on ADVrider,they are pretty cool.

Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast