Rookies on the Rubicon

jeremyk

Adventurer
Great write up and pictures also.... Looking forward to the rest.

Personally, I like your build. My last jeep was 1) lower than most and 2) armored front to back... so like you said when I hear "BANG!" I know it is safe and can scrape along. I have followed many many more "built rigs" over the years using this strategy. When all else failed, simply winch out across the rocks, scraping and banging away, but safe and ready for what is next. Eager to read the rest!

John

Thanks, I'll try to post up everyday until the adventure is chronicled. You're right about banging and scraping, I need to take a picture of my sliders and all of the granite "machining" they now have. They are also pretty dented up which surprised me with the seamless heavy-wall tubing...

It is hard to strike a balance on a build. My goal is to be able to drive to my chosen adventure, do it, and then drive back home. I guess that's why we come to web sites like this: we figure out where we would like to go and what we have to do to our rigs to get us there (and back).

jeremyk

Adventurer
Hey Jeremy, just found your trip report here and your not only a great cook but great at story telling too. Really enjoying the humor and apprehension yet pushing on regardless. Primed for the rest of the story. Please don't spare the details as I hope to run the Ruby some day and this stands out as an honest, no BS report.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks Ace - I enjoyed cooking for you at the Expo, that was a great time. I'm putting some of those skills I learned from the High Trail Expeditions guys while I was there. Those guys were very sharp and humble about it too; which really helps the learning process.

I would like to run the trail again with you and Doug and Ramjet and the rest of the crew, that would be a hoot. I know now that it can be done... Next time I'll do it with 305's (or 315's).

ErikKnight

Great write up Jeremy, I was there and am still hanging on to every word! I can't wait for your rendition of the "Mad Max" Buggy people, what a sight!

However, I need to make one slight correction to maintain my "Jeepers" integrity...the silver JK behind the red TJ on page three is actually a Rubicon in line for the Little Sluice, I can't claim credit for having a Rubicon or getting my JK that close to the LS. The LS will have to wait until 2015 and maybe by that time I'll have a Pro Rock 44 or 60 instead of a built 30.

jeremyk

Adventurer
Great write up Jeremy, I was there and am still hanging on to every word! I can't wait for your rendition of the "Mad Max" Buggy people, what a sight!

However, I need to make one slight correction to maintain my "Jeepers" integrity...the silver JK behind the red TJ on page three is actually a Rubicon in line for the Little Sluice, I can't claim credit for having a Rubicon or getting my JK that close to the LS. The LS will have to wait until 2015 and maybe by that time I'll have a Pro Rock 44 or 60 instead of a built 30.

Thanks for that Erik. Today I'm talking about Merlin the Trailkeeper and getting a bit "preachy" (informational) as we make our way around Buck Island Lake to our camp at Martini Tree. I'm not sure that I will be able to do the "Midnight Buggy People" proper justice in this installment; I did have a couple of their tequila shots so my memory is a bit thin on that...

Brother accept the challenge, if you build that thing up too much, you'll need a trailer and a diesel hauler! Of course then you can be my official "tow vehicle" I'll bring some FJ friends, you can carry the beer and the tow straps...

jeremyk

Adventurer
Day two Part two

So far we had stuck to the plan we had agreed to before the trip:

“We have to lay some ground rules:

1. We will always discuss the safest way to accomplish the task and not act impulsively.
2. We will walk ANY questionable trail and discuss the best line.
3. We will stack rocks, discuss other recovery options and rehearse them prior to execution; whenever there is a question of vehicle damage.
4. We will bypass riskier sections whenever possible.
5. We will not succumb to pressure, personal or outside.
6. We will not rush the trail.

This is our first time on the Rubicon we can come back later and take the toughest line, but only if we are successful this time - there is no honor in stupid luck!

Preserve our people - protect our rigs. Good driving makes all the difference and good driving is the result of good planning and executing that plan.

This will be fun, we will take our time and the outcome will be awesome!”

(Sorry for the repeat, but this became very important as we progressed - it kept getting tougher)

And it was working. We had had no major incidents, heck we hadn’t even gotten stuck! But the trail kept coming at us, like it wanted us to make a mistake. With so many obstacles, it became hard to differentiate between them; they all became a blur. One after the other after the other, in a continuous stream - we had to avoid becoming sloppy.

FJ day 2 smear.jpg
Things were a bit if'y at times. Guided by the steady trail-call of my son Josh.

Fortunately, we had our boys, Josh and Caleb, along; they constantly woke us up from our trail-jaded stupor and suggested alternates that were often much better than the lines Erik and I had fallen for. Trail overload was beginning to set in.

Relentless 1.jpg
The trail was relentless. Everywhere we turned, something was looking at us - just like this.

At our camp in the morning we had met up with a Trailkeeper. His name was Merlin and he had his dog Sierra with him. In a very nice way, over the course of our conversation, he vetted us for our level of preparedness for the trail:

-Did we have tools and spares?
-Did we need a map?
-Did we have a porta-pottie? (required on the Rubicon)
-Did we have a fire permit for our stove? (also required)
-Did we have a good first-aid kit?
-How would we call for help if someone was severely injured? (I have a DeLorme InReach that I can use to call for help via satellite, but Merlin suggested having a HAM radio in the future, since local clubs have surrounded the trail with repeaters and the reception is excellent)

”The last cell phone signal is at the top of Walker Hill”. He finally mentioned. That was where he was headed, to call his wife; it was her birthday.

We were glad that Merlin and others were out there, ultimately they are protecting our freedom to drive the Rubicon and enjoy challenges that may not be available at all in the future. Access to the trail is now being challenged by the local water companies who are blaming a trail that you can barely see on Google Earth, for silt problems they are having in their reservoirs. So now the Rubicon Trail Foundation (Friends of the Rubicon) is building bridges over water crossings and paying for solar toilets to lessen our impact. I am not a member now, but I will join.

Buck Island from Indian Trail.jpg
The water of Buck Island lake looked so good and so close (only three hours away)

We thought that by the time we reached Buck Island Lake, we would be home-free for the day. We would drive its level shores, find a shady spot to make camp and have a swim to wash off two days worth of accumulated anxiety. This was not to be. We had watched the lake come closer, off in the distance, all day, thinking that that would be the end of our day’s mental beating. But that wasn’t going to happen. All of the choice campsites at lake level were taken, we had to keep driving.

Around Buck Island 1.jpg
"So, I guess we gotta stack some more"

Making our way around the lake to our final stop for the day was equivalent to doing Hells Revenge in Moab. We were in for a surprise.

FJ hang-up Buck Island.jpg
I began to realize that 285's were a bit too small for these obstacles...

There was no “flat lake shore”. Instead, it was more like a dry cascade we were going to have to drive before we could enjoy the lake’s refreshment. But we kept it light and joked and hassled; the gnawing in our guts was not going to spoil our fun.

Nasty nasty going around Buck Island.jpg
This was a tough spot. Nasty shelf in the middle of a nasty turn.

Around Buck Island 2.jpg
It just kept coming. "are we ever going to get to camp?"

We shook our heads at the constant onslaught of challenges and stacked rocks like Roman slaves to make up for the lack of rubber on my rig. Slowly we climbed up that staircase, past one occupied campsite after another- until they all ran out. It looked like we were out of luck as we were turning away from the lake, until we crested the hill and found a beautiful spot we later found out was called “Martini Tree”. I don’t know why, but once we got there, I wished that I had one.

Campsite view.jpg
The view from our campsite

We quickly made camp and then bushwacked our way down to the lake - worried about rattlesnakes. One worry had replaced another. Typical.

Next part - Midnight Buggy drivers and a video of our climb up Buck Island "cascade".

Attachments

• FJ day 2 pinch.jpg
    FJ day 2 pinch.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 130
  • Around Buck Island 3.jpg
    Around Buck Island 3.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 127

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Wonderfully written, I am enjoying you great descriptions. My wife and I were just laughing about your 'Roman slaves" comment.

jeremyk

Adventurer
Wonderfully written, I am enjoying you great descriptions. My wife and I were just laughing about your 'Roman slaves" comment.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy my obscure humor. We could have just as well been Egyptian slaves. Lots of "rock stackers" in history.

I have an update coming. It's mostly a tale of our night at Martini Tree and a look back at a past adventure on the trail. I don't have any photos because it all happened at night. I'm working on posting a video about our climb the "Buck Island cascade". I'll get back to the trail this weekend with the Big Sluice Box and try to finish it up in a couple of days. Unfortunately, I didn't have this all written up before I started to post; it's just from memory and from looking at our pictures.

Sorry for being so long-winded with this story, but I have a lot of words all stored up in the emotion of the experience...

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Please stop making apologies for being long winded....
That's would be like a reviewer of a Hemingway Novel stating "I loved every word and didn't want it to end, but it was to long winded"

We want your long wind!!!

K2ZJ

Explorer
Sorry for being so long-winded with this story, but I have a lot of words all stored up in the emotion of the experience...

I hate to clutter such a great thread, but like bdp1978 said, KEEP IT UP! This is one of the best written and entertaining threads I have read period!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz