Partsflyin's Mild 03 Frontier Build

Looks fantastic. I like that you have not over done it. You will love those tires. I know they have not been out long but I have already bought 3 sets of the Rugged Terrains. They are the best tires I have ever owned. They are great both on and off road.

skibum315

Explorer
Awesome bumper ... came out really nice. Does your buddy want to make a few for the 2nd Gen Xterras? :drool: ... only (mostly) kidding.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all the input on the bumper !! I am super happy with it , actually like it a little more every time I look at it.

Props to my buddy, he did a fantastic job turning my vision into a slick bumper.

partsflyin

Adventurer
I'd been wanting to add some recovery goodies to the truck. I have picked up a winch but have not had time to get it installed yet.
Also ordered up a Hi-Lift the other day, after endless surfing for ideas i came up with a plan. I like to think long and hard before drilling new holes in my sheet metal , so with that in mind here's what I came up with. I've been wheelin for many years in a open top rig , and when then time comes to use your hi-lift that has been out in the elements , they can be a bit cantankerous . Thus I planned to mount it in the bed sheltered by the shell.

Came up with this bracket to start with.

20131124-13.28.43.jpg

20131124-13.29.01.jpg

It mounts where the bolts run thru the body to mount the taillights, first gens mount the tailgate extender here. No plans to put an extender back in the truck .

20131124-13.41.26.jpg

The bracket has two dowels to locate and hold the base of the hi-lift. I drilled one of the dowels to use a spring pin to hold the base on the bracket.

20131124-13.43.24.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
I had previously installed super track down each bed rail, so I decided to use it for mounting the other end on the hi-lift.

I started by picking up some "elevator" bolts. I cut/ground two sides of the elevator bolt so it would slide into the super track.

20131124-13.54.22.jpg

Once I slid the elevator bolt into the super track, I used a leftover shock absorber washer and a nut to lock it down. Then I double nutted a fender washer onto the stud. Next slide the hi-lift over the stud, up against the fender washer, another fender washer and a wing nut to lock it down.

20131124-14.23.56.jpg

20131124-14.42.44.jpg

She's mounted.

20131124-14.43.21.jpg

I am very pleased with the mock up. As you can see it needs to be disassembled and painted. But before paint i need to weld on some spacers to the back of the lower mounting plate. If you look closely you can see the recess in the body where the bolt holes are. I stuck some washers behind the bracket for mock up , but I would like it better with some spacers tack welded to the back of the bracket.

All for now.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks really good, and well contained in the event of a collision- something so many people overlook. Nice work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne