Partsflyin's Mild 03 Frontier Build

partsflyin

Adventurer
So Im waiting on a call from AC
.. The lady I spoke to first said she thought they would be able to help me out, but she would have to get a tech to call me back.
I will update when I hear something.
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

partsflyin

Adventurer
Went ahead and sprung for the OME medium duty pack and the HD 1.5" shackles. I think I will go ahead and order some 1" blocks to have on hand at time of install in case it comes up a little short.
I was a little aprehensive about going with th HD leaf pack due to co-opski's comment on the ride.
AC asked me to send pics of the failure to determine whether or not they would offer any warranty.
Stay tuned.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Picked up a cool new hook for my winch cable. It works with a standard clevis setup.

20140514-18.23.01.jpg

It will work great with my quick release pin and clevis I made to use on the rear receiver .

20140514-18.23.56.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
So the folks over at AC seem to think I overloaded the springs. The didn't outright insist that was the case but thats pretty much the jist of our conversation.

They did give me a $50 in store credit. I was a bit disappointed but at the same time, I do understand their point of view (hard for me to prove I didn't abuse the springs). I'm glad they didn't completely blow me off.

I got the OME leaf packs installed over the weekend and am very pleased so far. These just look like good springs that are in it for the long haul.I installed the AC 1.5" shackles as well. The truck sits a tad lower than I had hoped but its not bad. I plan to run it as is and see how much they settle. Worst case scenario I will put some 1" blocks in later down the road.

As the one leaf pack was in such bad shape I couldn't get and accurate measurement for before and after.

Truck rides and drives great once again ! I am so happy once again! I love this truck....

Will get some pics of the new stance and performance soon.

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow the truck has really come along! Too bad to hear about those leaf packs but good info for the rest of us. OME or deaver may be the way to go for a full rear suspension refresh so that's good to know.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Went out with a local club yesterday. Wheeled on a large privately owned old farm. Had a great day. I pushed the truck harder than ever. Trying to get a better feel for its capabilities while having a plenty of help if I needed it. I had a great time. And exposed some of the trucks limitations as I had hoped. The rugged terrains perform fantastic but I will say this, when it gets plain out muddy they showed me a weak point for the first time. We wheeled a variety of terrain and as long as It wasnt straight up mud they did great.
Near the end of the day we were at a creek crossing with a steep sandy/muddy bank about 20' high. After 2 failed attempts I gave liberal amounts of throttle and was finally able to crest the bank, but not without some carnage. There was a large tree root running perpendicular across the trail. When i hit the root under throttle , the tie rod adjusters decided that I had over done it. I did make it over the top but the front tires were pointed directly at each other when I stopped. One aduster was a complete U shape and the center link is bent as well.
All that being said I am ordering a full steering set up in the morning. Its stupid expensive but I am confident its what I want.
Going with the Total Chaos King Kong set up.
Stay tuned !

partsflyin

Adventurer
Forgot to mention how happy I am with the new OME rear leaf setup. These things flat out work !!! Major improvement over the aal leaf pack.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Interesting news about the Rugged Terrains in the mud. I guess I haven't been in a lot of mud with mine; I'll have to keep that in mind.

The TC steering kit is...so beefy. I have the kit for my Xterra (yet to be installed). You will not be disappointed. The cost was a huge commitment, but you'll never need anything else. And the part quality is definitely apparent.

Do you have any pictures of the tie rod carnage? I almost don't want to see...!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yep, that's the experience I had with my Rugged Terrains. They were great for everything except mud. Sucks about the steering, that's why I upgraded mine. I've heard great things about the TC kit.

partsflyin

Adventurer
Interesting news about the Rugged Terrains in the mud. I guess I haven't been in a lot of mud with mine; I'll have to keep that in mind.

The TC steering kit is...so beefy. I have the kit for my Xterra (yet to be installed). You will not be disappointed. The cost was a huge commitment, but you'll never need anything else. And the part quality is definitely apparent.

Do you have any pictures of the tie rod carnage? I almost don't want to see...!

Don't get me wrong , I still feel the rugged terrains are the right tire for me. They are truly a great all around tire. Just before I got stuck in the heavy mud I had run a short creekbed section , It was wet and sandy with some decent sized rocks . They walked me through better than I had ever hoped, just suffered at the exit of the creek bed where it got truly "muddy"

Good news to hear someone else has the TC kit, as I have very little luck finding real world user info (for the 1st gen Frontier kit anyway). Did you go with the complete kit? I'm excited , as my kit should arrive tommorow.

Sadly no carnage pics, The group I was with was a super cool bunch! Immediately jumped in when they say the carnage , with the help of a BFH had the adjuster straightened out well enough to get me to a trailer back at the main road. So fast I no time to snap a pic.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Don't get me wrong , I still feel the rugged terrains are the right tire for me. They are truly a great all around tire. Just before I got stuck in the heavy mud I had run a short creekbed section , It was wet and sandy with some decent sized rocks . They walked me through better than I had ever hoped, just suffered at the exit of the creek bed where it got truly "muddy"

Good news to hear someone else has the TC kit, as I have very little luck finding real world user info (for the 1st gen Frontier kit anyway). Did you go with the complete kit? I'm excited , as my kit should arrive tommorow.

Sadly no carnage pics, The group I was with was a super cool bunch! Immediately jumped in when they say the carnage , with the help of a BFH had the adjuster straightened out well enough to get me to a trailer back at the main road. So fast I no time to snap a pic.

Yes sir, I got the complete kit. There's only one other 1st Gen Nissan that I know who has the whole kit; he lives in the desert and is constantly pushing his truck over boulders and such. It's a great investment. I'm anxious to get the parts swapped.

Sounds like a great group!

partsflyin

Adventurer
Finally going back together with the upgraded steering. Parts came in quickly , I cannot say enough about my first impressions when I opened up the box.
The TC system is BEEF !! Welds are beautiful , fitment is fantastic !

The center link, pitman arm and idler arm are bare metal on arrival so I had my buddy powder coat them.

Kit reuses the stock idler arm bracket with a really nice gusset.

20140714-18.41.57.jpg

Beefed up replacement pitman arm.

20140714-19.22.45.jpg

20140714-19.46.54.jpg

This is as far as I got today. Still gotta torque everything down, finish reassembly, string alignment and get to a shop for a computer alignment.

richard310

pew pew
Wow that's REAL beef. That looks like quite the upgrade in steering.. enticing to do, but for that price they didn't powdercoat it for you??? Yowza.

How was the install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online