In serch of dependable old school Dual Sport for a nubie

texas taco

Adventurer
I am wanting to get into the two wheel end of overland travel. I have little dirt bike experience, and alot on mountain bike experience. I would like something inexpensive but reliable. I was looking at late 80s early 90 air cooled BMW Gs. I saw i think it was hilltoppers for sale on another forum. I think something like that is up my alley. Are there any inherent problems with those bikes i need to be aware of? What is yalls take on this?
Thanks.....

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
First, decide what kind of travel you are going to be doing....if you will be leaning towards the rougher end of things, look for a lighter bike. BMW's are heavy....which makes them a lot of work when the going gets rough. Of course, that weight makes them much more comfortable getting to/from the trail. When the trail gets rough, plan on having to pick that bike up...over and over and over. It only takes a couple times before picking up a (fully loaded) 550 pound 650GS before I am keeping my eyes open for smoother terrain...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The older GSs (R80/R100) are great bikes. Yes, they do suffer from some issues, but in general will run forever. Generally, the charging systems are known to be problematic, as the diode board or stator will die.... Easily fixed with a couple of upgrades (about $600). The paralever (1988+) driveshafts on the airheads are known to fail at about 25-30K, due to the construction having a rubber "insert", presumably for shock dampering.

Advrider has a bunch of posts on airheads, too...

-H-

Speaker

Adventurer
96+ Dr-650.

Aircooled, very easy to work on, e-start, lighter than a BMW for sure, good aftermarket... yada yada

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Speaker said:
96+ Dr-650.

Aircooled, very easy to work on, e-start, lighter than a BMW for sure, good aftermarket... yada yada

....and don't forget inexpensive! A 2000+ DR650 can be had for $2-$3K. I picked up my R100 for $3,800, then put about $6K into a total rebuild....

-H-

texas taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the replys. Very helpfull... As for the DR 60, well its like buying a Land Cruiser there are cheaper vehicles but its a Land Cruiser. I just like the BMWs.

Andy G

Adventurer
Don't rule out the KLR650. You can find 'em all over the place, aftermarket support is amazing, and are generally known as being good at everything, but great at nothing. What I mean by that is, it's one of the best and certainly the most popular dual-sport/adventure motorcycle out there.

TxRider

Observer
Yup the riding determines the bike, if your just doing maintained dirt roads the BMW will be fine, if your looking at unmaintained dirt or anything rougher a BMW is too heavy and a lighter single is a lot better.

underdog

If you like the Beemers, get one. I think it's already been summed up here. They're heavy and expensive. But, reliable and comfortable. Better on road than off but certainly do an adequate job on forest roads and even ATV two-track roads. I've been riding the big GS bikes for 9 years now and they've served me very well. Never left me stranded, ever. Not saying they've never broken, just never left me stranded. I've been from the tip of Baja to Prudhoe Bay, AK on my old 1981 R80 G/S. Blew out 5th gear on the way up and still finished the trip (6000 more miles) with a "4 speed." I've dropped it numerous times in the dirt and a couple of times, with a full touring load, I've had to completely unpack it to get it light enough to pick up. That sucked but it worked. The R100GS comes in about 50 pounds heavier than the R80 as does the R1150. The newer R1200 is back down to just about 15 pounds more than the R80 but mucho, mucho $$$$. My touring style is to mainly run the highways to get somewhere cool and then do some dirt roads to get off the beaten path and find a good campsite. Overall, about 80% paved and 20% dirt. My Baja trip was probably more like 60% paved, 40% dirt but you get the idea. The big Beemers are great for that. I've now got an oilhead R1100GS that I really love. More refined, powerful and (so far) reliable than my old airhead. A bit heavier but I'm lovin' it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94