2011 Schutt Industries LTT 1 1/2 Ton Trailer Chassis based Adventure Trailer Build

SamM

Adventurer
The recovery came together very well today. I am happy to report the Schutt trailer is now sitting in my yard. Delaware to West Virginia in around 6 hours. Spent lastnight at my mother-in-law's house in Lancaster, PA. It was a short 1 hour drive to New Castle, Delaware to get the trailer this morning. The Jeep pulled the trailer without an issue. Laura at GovLiquidations said, "...you'll be back! Once you buy from us, you'll be looking for more!" I think she's right. It was a great experience. Easy as pie.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
3 pages and there isn't even a bolt out...

Better get crackin...:ylsmoke:

Really looking forward to seeing this close up.

SamM

Adventurer
Not likely, as I will have major knee reconstruction surgery next week. My left knee was destroyed in a motorcycle accident in April. I'll be doing as much as I can given my limitations. Nothing is going to happen for at least 2 months as I will not even be able to walk. It could even be longer. My major project goals were to get the trailer home successfully. DONE! If my buddies pitch in, we may get something done.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
Thanks Titanpat57. I appreciate that. I enjoyed your build thread. Read it a few night's ago. Very nice!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Hurry up and strip that thing before surgery.
Then you will have plenty of down time for design.

Doesn't look bad behind your jeep. Lower the trailer of lift the jeep and it will sit perfect.
The tongue length looks good too. Nice purchase.

A impact gun makes quick work removing the extra add one.

My 116A2 before and after.

Save everything you remove and sell it on ebay or Steelsoldiers.com

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!i0E9f!P,kpfBPmqobeHEQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!i0E9f!P,kpfBPmqobeHEQ~~60_57.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC06594.JPG
    DSC06594.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 157

SamM

Adventurer
Thanks Mark. I think I did alright on it. Honestly, the only part I need is the frame. Everything else will be stripped. I've already started.

The more I look at it, the more I think I will replace the suspension. It's too wide behind my Jeep. I'd like the trailer to follow in the Jeep's tracks. The 8-lug Schutt parts and wheels are more than useless to me. Putting a Timbren suspension under it would lighten the trailer significantly, give me 5x5 Jeep wheels and electric brakes. Which would also make the trailer nice to tow. Unlike the Schutt parts, the Timbren replacement parts would be available to me. That's a win, win, win! We'll see what happens.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
Yesterday, I talked with Jeff at Timbren. Since Schutt is apparently reluctant to sell me parts, I'm looking at the Timbren axle-less components. These parts would solve quite a few issues on my trailer. My 2011 Schutt Industries frame is 56.25" wide. The axle-less suspension can be installed wherever I want on my trailer. This makes it possible to have the same track width as my JK. These parts would also lighten the trailer significantly. The major downside is that my costs will go up significantly.

Several emails have been sent to Schutt Industries. None have been replied to.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
The trailer is now in strip down mode. The Dexter TorFlex axle is almost ready to come out. The military pintle hitch, mount and inertial brake actuator have all been removed. The trailer tongue will be extended with 2"x3" tubing. The new hitch that I will be using on my LTT is the Lock N Roll hitch. I also found a deal on the Timbren Axle-Less suspension. It will have the 5x5 electric drum brakes and straight spindles for regular wheels. Stay tuned. I'll be on crutches but I will be building a trailer.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
I received a very nice call today from Steve Schutt offering to help me with parts for my Schutt LTT-HC trailer. He explained that he has been very busy and away from his office. Schutt is currently working on an electric brake retro fit for these trailers, as they are now hitting the market as surplus being sold to civilians. He also said that 5x5 hubs are available.

I'll probably still go with the Timbren Axle-Less suspension as it solves various problems associated with my build. It was great that he did return my call.

There is an ad in the Classifieds for my trailer parts.

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
glad you enjoyed the build...thanks..

You're going to be a pioneer at this..so take lots of pics please. I'm anxious to see the Timbren on something of this size.

Hope the surgery went well...and your recuperation is underway. I saw a list of parts in the classifieds...so obviously it's hard to keep a good man down..:ylsmoke:

SamM

Adventurer
No surgery yet. It's Thursday morning at 5am. Looks like I'll be in the hospital until sometime Saturday. Today, I removed the left side bodywork and lights. Tomorrow, the right side bodywork, lights and hopefully the wiring harness will come off. I have ordered a set of MOPAR Winter wheels for the trailer. 5 more for the Jeep are in the works. The tires will probably be Goodyear Wranglers in 265/70-17. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles