2011 Schutt Industries LTT 1 1/2 Ton Trailer Chassis based Adventure Trailer Build

SamM

Adventurer
I will post how the surgery goes. Here are the requested pictures. Not much happening today. My nurse has suggested that I just rest today. LOL Yes, dear!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Thanks Mark! There is still much to do. I plan to order the Timbren Axle-Less suspension on Friday, along with the electric brakes and 18" tongue extension. These parts will come from eTrailer.com. The Lock N' Roll hitch will be ordered next. That gives me a rolling chassis at least. I'm still trying to decide how to build the box and what dimensions to make it. My thinking is to make it a little higher than normal. That way in a pinch, I could use it as a shelter. I do plan to carry a RTT on it though. It also needs to carry mountain bikes, kayaks and a Rokon motorcycle. I have a hitch mounted carrier for the Rokon.

SamM

Adventurer
My surgery went very well, yesterday. They were able to repair my ligaments with donor tissue. The left knee was totally destroyed in the April 16th crash of my Ural Gear-Up. The ACL, LCL, MCL, and PCL were all torn. There was also a tear in the knee meniscus. The surgery was 5 hours long and I was my doctor's only patient all day. He decided not to repair the PCL as the risk to benefit ratio was too high. It was a borderline 3, in a 1 to 4 scale. I now have (2) 7" incisions along my left knee cap.

In the April 16th 2013 accident, I had a medial dislocation of my patella and I broke my scapula into 4 pieces. An injury that could have easily killed me. My stomach was lacerated on the leftside in the crash and my left lung was collapsed. There were 3 operations on my abdomen, just after my helicopter ride to the WVU Trauma Unit. A fixator was screwed into my leg for 6 weeks. I have been in a leg brace since the fixator came off. I impacted a guardrail, then fell 25' into steel I-beams that cut my stomach. It's truly a miracle that I survived.

Physical Therapy has already had me up today, as I refuse to use a bedpan. The knee will be immobilized in a brace for 2 weeks. The doctor will then release the brace a few degrees each week as I do PT. In 2 to 3 months I will be released to go to work. Total rehab with be 9 to 12 months. I have an 80% chance of full recovery depending on how well the knee heals and how hard I work it in PT. Honestly, I'm very happy to still be here!

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It truly is mind over matter Sam. Just keep doing what they tell you and more if you can. I had bi lateral knee replacement a year ago March, walked out on my own, never used a cain or walker, was back wheeling in less than three weeks. I think yours will take more rehab, due to all the repair work. They just cut mine off, hammered the new ones and stiched me up, 10 inch scars down the center of both legs. In less than two months was better than I had been in 20 years, ride my bicycle 120 miles a week. they have come so far recently on surgery, it is amazing. Glad all went well for you/

SamM

Adventurer
They said that I was too young at 50 for a knee replacement. It's fairly tough dealing with the pain. Good advice! Thanks! I'll be up and around in no time.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Best of luck to you! Dealing with life's issues is hard enough, but having to cope with pain on top of it, can be overwhelming. It sounds like you are lucky, just to be alive.

SamM

Adventurer
Scrapdaddy,
Yes, it was a bad one. The only life threatening motorcycle accident that I ever had in 44 years of riding. I'm very fortunate to be alive. In about 3 months, my life will be semi-normal again.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I was just released from the hospital. Two weeks of laying around then rehab.

SamM

Adventurer
I'll be back on it as soon as possible. Still in a good bit of pain. I've stopped taking the Percocets on a schedule. Just when I need them. Haven't had any since 1AM and I feel pretty good.

Didn't get my Timbren suspension ordered last week. Hope to get that done Monday.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have had several PM's from him. He is hanging in there. Tough surgery. A lot of work done. The pain gets worse a couple of days after the surgery as the nerve blocks wear off. Keep posting he needs the support.

SamM

Adventurer
Hey everyone!

I'm feeling much better. I still have another week of laying around. Thankfully, I am no longer dependent on the Percocet. Been taking Aleve for pain and only use the Percocet, if I have trouble sleeping. Today, I rolled my wheelchair out in the yard to look at the trailer and my Jeep. Both are just sitting waiting for me to get better, so I can get back into my project. There is a local car show today but I'm not feeling up to being out and about yet. I have church tomorrow and do plan to attend. My church family will want to see me. They have been a great support since my motorcycle accident.

I've ordered a few more parts for my Jeep MOAB. AEV floor mats, black Gorilla lug nuts and black wheel locks. These parts arrived yesterday. Last week, I ordered a set of MOPAR Winter wheels for the trailer. I've decided to remove the Rugged Ridge spacers from under my Jeep Rubicon wheels. I think these will void my warranty on the front unit bearings and rear axle parts. A set of these spacers will go on the trailer and I may sell the other set.

Today, I'm watching some football and a marathon session of Barrett-Jackson is on the schedule later. I saw an Expedition type Jeep with a RTT yesterday in the background. Looked pretty cool.

As for the trailer. I've been thinking about calling a Dexter to see if electric brakes and hubs are available for the TorFlex axle. They should be. Depending on what they tell me, I may just stick with the stock axle. I'll keep you posted.

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94