2011 Schutt Industries LTT 1 1/2 Ton Trailer Chassis based Adventure Trailer Build

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
inkpen00,
Sorry for the late reply! Mark is no longer at Schutt Industries. We were never able to connect and get a kit worked out. I just decided to use the Timbren suspension to get the track width to match my Jeep. I'm happier with the Timbren. The work on the frame was very rewarding and yielded great results. It took a lot of time to design and rethink every step before cutting into it. I was only going to get one shot at it. As I probably mentioned in this thread, the results were better than I had expected. The thread has had a lot of twists and turns but if you search the pages with the frame being stripped and move forward everything is there. I had to reinforce the aluminum frame quite a bit after cutting a couple major sections of it away. Overall, the weight on my trailer is down from stock by several hundred pounds.

Your M1101 frame is very similar to my frame. How do you plan to cut and section the body? I believe it can be done but it requires a huge amount of work. I had similar plans for an M1101 but the bodywork seemed to be a major hurtle and I decided to try and find a Schutt LTT. I was very fortune to find this one.

SamM

What I had planned on doing is drilling out the rivets that hold the body to the frame, then narrow the frame and match the track width to the jeep, then disassemble the body of the trailer to match the width of the jeep body or just a couple inches narrower on both sides. Then I would try to make some sort of body mounts for the trailer instead of hundreds of rivets. That is my first thought. If it seems too intense then I may sell it and rethink my project.

SamM

Adventurer
The M1101 was on my list of trailers to buy. My thought was to remove the body and then, section it down the middle. You have a good plan for the frame. You'll probably need to stiffen it once you cut it though. I did but I cut quite a bit out of mine.

Sam

SamM

Adventurer
New Hard Rock wheels. Also spent some time converting a little rust. Getting ready to start the box. The wheels move the tires out 1" further from the frame.

SamM

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

SamM

Adventurer
I am blown away by your determination in sticking with this project for so long.

Keep going, it's just getting good!

Thanks Landbarger!

I'm not trying to make excuses for the time that this project has taken me, but my health hasn't been good since starting this project. In early 2013, I survived the horrible crash of my much beloved Ural Gear-Up Sahara. It's a miracle that I'm still walking around after that. This was my only serious accident in 40+ years of riding bikes and driving everything from little cars to massive military equipment and over the road trucks. The Ural was my dream bike. The rest of 2013 and half of 2014 was spent just recovering from that crash.

In 2015, I was forced into early retirement due to a serious health issue. Sometimes life just gets in the way of hopes, dreams and the best laid plans. My overlanding aspirations have taken a hit too. I find myself with a lot more time, a lot less money but not feeling good enough to travel much of the time.

Getting the frame modifications and the suspension finished in 2016 was a huge milestone for me. The frame modification and the redesign of the frame were very time consuming. The results were worth it. My life has been simplified to the point, that this trailer is my only project now. Most of my purchasing decisions are based on the trailer. If it doesn't work with or fit in my trailer, then I don't buy it. My tractor, rifles, motorcycles, and my other aluminum trailer have all been sold off. My car project is also for sale. Recent purchases for the Schutt are a Genius battery charger and an induction cooktop.

Finding the right building materials has been a real problem too. I hate the thought of using wood in the construction. Wood is easy to work with and would add rigidity. The downside is weight and the possibility of it getting wet and separating. Aluminum is expensive and composite panels are not easy to source. Steel would make the aluminum trailer top heavy. Everything is a compromise.

My most recent thoughts have been to turn this into a utility trailer and just buy a new Conqueror UEV310. I even called David at Conqueror trailers in Ohio and we talked at length about the 310. I'd like to buy the 310 without the tent and add a hardside RTT. This would make setup super fast. That is not an option as the tent comes with it. I suppose the tent could be sold.

Many things are up in the air. Dealing with a life threatening disease does not make the project seem important at times. I am committed to finishing the Schutt LTT. The thought of spending $18,000 on a trailer that would still need modifications, does not appeal to me. Continuing with this is the way to go.

I appreciate the support and everyone's patience with my project.

SamM

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Keep up the work! Hope 2017 is better!!!

If you decide to go aluminum I know a guy lol, said guy has a water jet, and can cut anything you draw up.

SamM

Adventurer
Thanks FosterWV!

This year is going to be much better. I called and talked with Total Composites today. They are putting together a quote for me on one of their composite boxes. It will have a 2' extension passed the rear frame with a nice departure angle. We'll see what they have to say. I did not realize that some of these composite panels actually use plywood as a stiffener. Looking forward to getting back on track with this.

SamM

SamM

Adventurer
The quote from Total Composites was just too much for my budget. I do appreciate their time.

The box has been started. I'm currently cutting aluminum and building a frame for the box. The aluminum box frame is being glued to the trailer frame and it should stay put for quite a long time. The next step is to build the floor and start the walls. Fiberglass panels will be laminated to the 1/2" plywood to seal it from the elements. A coat of Durabak will cover the fiberglass walls. Once the floor is in, the trailer will go back into my small garage. The plywood walls will be skeletonized to reduce the weight significantly. Foam insulation will fill the cutouts.

The trailer frame still needs the corners finished for fuel and water tanks. The mounts for the jacks will be installed shortly. The frame will not be Durabak lined but the underside of the floor will be sealed with it.

Here are pictures from a few days ago. Ok, back to it.

SamM

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

SamM

Adventurer
The side rails for the box are glued and screwed down. The rest of the CARC paint was removed from the top of the frame.

SamM

IMG_2847.jpg

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Thanks, Taco! You have given me some great ideas with the AlumEscape build. I've been really concerned about using plywood in my trailer construction. I've just read through your thread again, and you've made it look very doable and very worthwhile. I'm making 1/2" plywood walls and will use FRP as well. I have some interesting ideas that I want to try with this trailer. Two of the walls are built but still need much work to be fitted. The weather here has been rainy and crappy for far too long. Looking forward to getting back at it. I still need to purchase more aluminum and my framing material. All my other projects have taken a backseat to the trailer build. Most of them have been sold off. My mother-in-law gave me an induction cooktop for Christmas. It will be used in the trailer.

My plan is to go as minimalist as possible. We have some creative ideas. It probably won't be finished for the MAOF this year but I hope to bring it.

SamM

tlin

Adventurer
@SamM - keep after it! I've checked in a few times throughout this build and can't say enough how jealous and impressed I am with your determination, imagination and desire to bring your build to life. :bowdown:

donkren

Sam - any progress on your build? I also have projects that seem to take me longer than expected, so I was inspired by your story. I hope you have some good news to report.

SamM

Adventurer
I’m sorry but I don’t have much to report. I do have good news though. The basement of my new house is finally finished and I have a heated workspace for my trailer. Hopefully, I can get back into camper building mode soon. The new house has been getting all my attention and funds. House building mode is what the wife wants. I’d like to get the camper finished before Spring and the house finished before Summer. A camping event that I attend is in early June next year. It would be really nice to have the camper ready by then. Last year’s event had some rain but thankfully it was the last day. It just reminded me how miserable camping in the rain is.

New BFG KM2 tires have been purchased for my Jeep. The new matching wheels and tires are now in the new basement for my trailer. I have all the plywood to build the camper, enough Zip+ green board and Zip+ tape to wrap and seal it. I also purchased a small EcoSmart tankless water heater and a Nature’s Head composting toilet for it.

donkren, thanks for reminding me that I need to get back into the trailer build. I said to myself yesterday that I need to put this thing in the basement and use my downtime constructively. Pun intended!

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94