Denver To Durango: Any sections not to miss?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm off to Denver in a couple days to pick up a new adventure bike. I'm planning on taking three days getting to Durango, with one day at the RawHyde Adventure Days event near Buena Vista. I plan on riding over Guanella Pass out of Georgetown, and then riding to Lake City, over Cinnamon, and probably Ophir Pass. Any other sections I might want to hit or consider. I'll be solo, so need to keep that in mind.

Has anyone ridden road 742 that links Buena Vista to Gunnison? I'd like to ride that road to get to Lake City.

trailsurfer

Explorer
742 is a great road on a ADV bike. Also think about going over Weston Pass. Very rideable for 1 person. Let me know your plans, I would love to ride with you for a day or two if you want some company.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sounds great, Trailsurfer!

Weston Pass fits into my route perfectly. I have a feeling this will be a wet trip, which is a bummer. My last trip through Colorado was pretty soggy as well.

I'll let you know as I roll closer to Durango.

DaJudge

Explorer
If you are going to do Cinnamon I recommend going up California Gulch from Animas, over California Pass, Hurricane Pass, and then Corkscrew Gulch to 550. This will put you north of Ophir Pass trail on 550 but is a beautiful drive/ride and only a few miles back to Ophir. I have never ridden a bike on these but have seen plenty up there and spoke with a couple of guys from Oregon in July on top of Corkscrew and they were grinning from ear to ear!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll be on a new-to-me moto with AT-ish tires and a moderate amount of luggage, so we'll have to see how I feel about Cinnamon. I've been over it a dozen times, but we'll see how I feel after a few hundy miles on pavement and dirt on this new rig. I may stop in Fort Collins and have it fitted with beefier treads. We'll see.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Sounds good. I know quite a few dirt trails/roads that would be perfect for your new bike. Another good option is Bolam/Ophir/Corkscrew/California back down into Silverton. All relatively easy rides on a loaded bike.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Trailsurfer, I might extend my travels a day to ride with you. Scott won't mind. :)

What do you think about meeting up somewhere around the Silverton area on Sunday? I could then cruise home on Tuesday. I have some amigos in Derango that I can stay with, and should. Would love to ride around with you if you have time. Is the lady friend in town that weekend. Would love to meet her as well. I hear she's lovely.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Trailsurfer, I might extend my travels a day to ride with you. Scott won't mind. :)

What do you think about meeting up somewhere around the Silverton area on Sunday? I could then cruise home on Tuesday. I have some amigos in Derango that I can stay with, and should. Would love to ride around with you if you have time. Is the lady friend in town that weekend. Would love to meet her as well. I hear she's lovely.

Sounds like you are stuck in Ft. Collins for a bit. Let me know your schedule when you you know it :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I made it out of the Fort. Thanks for the Weston Pass suggestion. That was beautiful and served to help me sneak around a storm cell...almost.

I'm in Gunnison tonight. Not sure about tomorrow's route. I'll save that for the morning. I'm bushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94